Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

HH Holmes and Jack the Ripper

Keel M.

I'm watching a show called Haunted History on History Channel 2 purely out of curiosity because this episode's topic will bring more visitors to the blog I have with three friends. They've mentioned a possible connection between H H Holmes and Jack the Ripper. Has anyone else heard that an American might've been Jack? Apparently Holmes traveled to London in 1888 in an attempt to sell human skeletons to a London medical school.

H.H. Holmes means of killing was too different to Jack's for them to be the same person, serial killers don't often change their pathology.

• Like 6

there is a complete documentary on netflix about him, this guy was ****ed up.

• Like 2

That was such a bad documentary. Horrible re-enactments, super boring narrator. It looked like it was made by a terrible film student.

The subject and info was fascinating, but by god was the film bad.

• Like 1

Which guy?

Homes was active during the Chicago World Fair, somewhere around 1892 I think. Yes, he was a serial killer and yes, he preyed on young women. However, method of murder was completely different to Jack. Holmes had sometimes long, sexual relationships with his victims. He would lure them into a soundproof room and asphyxiate them with poison gas. He got his jollies watching them die. Hat wearer is completely correct. Serial killers rarely change their MO that radically.

Which guy?

H. H. Holmes

Serial Killer

Herman Webster Mudgett, better known under the alias of Dr. Henry Howard Holmes, was one of the first documented American serial killers in the modern sense of the term. Wikipedia

Edited by ancient astronaut

That was such a bad documentary. Horrible re-enactments, super boring narrator. It looked like it was made by a terrible film student.

The subject and info was fascinating, but by god was the film bad.

I agree with the acting. But the subject (no matter how gruesome) was fascinating, don't you agree? This man was a complete Psychopath, (and Sociopath as well). I will say this, His methodology was extremely impressive.

• Like 1

I agree with the acting. But the subject (no matter how gruesome) was fascinating, don't you agree? This man was a complete Psychopath, (and Sociopath as well). I will say this, His methodology was extremely impressive.

Oh, indeed. Fascinating and a wealth of information, just so, so painful to watch.

I did like all the trap doors and secret passages in the crazy house he built.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

Which guy?

Well, it's funny you ask that. It has been suggested that they are one and the same (hh, jack the ripper). A lot of evidence to support this claim.

I'm watching a show called Haunted History on History Channel 2 purely out of curiosity because this episode's topic will bring more visitors to the blog I have with three friends. They've mentioned a possible connection between H H Holmes and Jack the Ripper. Has anyone else heard that an American might've been Jack? Apparently Holmes traveled to London in 1888 in an attempt to sell human skeletons to a London medical school.

It seems to add up that Mudgett (H.H. Holmes) was indeed the Ripper. Only time will tell if this holds water.

Oh, indeed. Fascinating and a wealth of information, just so, so painful to watch.

I did like all the trap doors and secret passages in the crazy house he built.

Don't forget the Gas in the walls.

Homes was active during the Chicago World Fair, somewhere around 1892 I think. Yes, he was a serial killer and yes, he preyed on young women. However, method of murder was completely different to Jack. Holmes had sometimes long, sexual relationships with his victims. He would lure them into a soundproof room and asphyxiate them with poison gas. He got his jollies watching them die. Hat wearer is completely correct. Serial killers rarely change their MO that radically.

But it has been postulated that Holmes was attempting something new with the Ripper Killings (If indeed he was Jack).

Let's say for a millisecond that he was Jack.

Then Mudgett had gone to London and lived there for the 2 or so months that Jack was active in 1888. Is there any proof of this? Then he returns to the US, lays low for 3 years, then starts murdering again in a completely different way?

If you have any legit proof that Mudgett left the US and lived in London in the fall of 1888, then you could be onto something.

But you have to prove it.

Let's say for a millisecond that he was Jack.

Then Mudgett had gone to London and lived there for the 2 or so months that Jack was active in 1888. Is there any proof of this? Then he returns to the US, lays low for 3 years, then starts murdering again in a completely different way?

If you have any legit proof that Mudgett left the US and lived in London in the fall of 1888, then you could be onto something.

But you have to prove it.

Well, that's just it. It's theory, and I agree. Until it can be factually proven, it is just talk.

I doubt Holmes was Jack but the trouble with the Jack the Ripper case is it was so long ago its going to be very hard to find the smoking gun evidence to successfully identify him.I favour a complete unknown as the killer not any of the suspects put forward so far.

• Like 1

Although if Holmes was jack and he was able to control himself for a couple years, and have there werewithall to totally change hi s method.

THen that mo**er *****er was a special kind of terrifying

• Like 2

Holmes was a bigamist, swindler and mass murderer, but Jack the Ripper? I think the Van Gogh theory had more credence and that was sh+te!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jack was a local lad. Had to be. Night of the double killing, after he murdered Eddowes, the route he took in the dark had to be in an area he was comfortable with. He lived in the area. He had to. He wasn't some toff with a horse and carriage waiting for him. He certainly didn't just suddenly stop killing for a few years, get enough money to move to Chicago, and buy a hotel! then start murdering in a totally different manner.

Holmes was a serial killer and a weirdo but he wasn't Jack.

• 5 months later...

I

Jack was a local lad. Had to be. Night of the double killing, after he murdered Eddowes, the route he took in the dark had to be in an area he was comfortable with. He lived in the area. He had to. He wasn't some toff with a horse and carriage waiting for him. He certainly didn't just suddenly stop killing for a few years, get enough money to move to Chicago, and buy a hotel! then start murdering in a totally different manner.

Holmes was a serial killer and a weirdo but he wasn't Jack.

Holmes was in London at the time of Jacks killings apparently. That could be just to sell a book.Will say that they had the handwriting from Jack and Holmes assesed and it came back positive.Nobody will ever know the identity of Jack but it certainly gives people things to discuss.

I had read this account of Holmes some years ago and dug it up when I saw this thread:

https://www.prairieghosts.com/holmes.html

The timeline for Holmes' whereabouts during the JTR period isn't straightforward in this account, and I wouldn't argue based on this that he couldn't have been in London.

However, it sure looks like HH is pretty busy around the Midwest during that time period.

I had read this account of Holmes some years ago and dug it up when I saw this thread:

https://www.prairieg...com/holmes.html

The timeline for Holmes' whereabouts during the JTR period isn't straightforward in this account, and I wouldn't argue based on this that he couldn't have been in London.

However, it sure looks like HH is pretty busy around the Midwest during that time period.

He was In London around the times of Jacks killings.He was a trained Physician of the highest class.He was like Burke and Hare.He sold skeletons whilst operating on others. Jacks killings could have been his attempts to get used to his killing spree

He was In London around the times of Jacks killings.He was a trained Physician of the highest class.He was like Burke and Hare.He sold skeletons whilst operating on others. Jacks killings could have been his attempts to get used to his killing spree

Do you have a source for this London cite I could look at?

I have only seen this alleged, not proven.

Edited by 2-B