Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

American to english translationi

danielost

This will include som common words in use in the USA and translate to the queens english and some hummer. The format will be american-quèens english. Add more you wish.

Hôod-bonnet, the front of the car.

Trunk-hood, the back of the car. Right here there is a problem. They have their cars backwords. No wonder the brits drive on the wrong side of the road.

Is 'hummer' American for 'humour'? Because hummer isn't just a person who hums, nor the slang for the vehicle, where I come from.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 4

Is 'hummer' American for 'humour'? Because hummer isn't just a person who hums, nor the slang for the vehicle, where I come from.

Oh it's slang for SOMETHING here, all right. Probably the same thing you are thinking of..... :yes:

• Like 3

This will include som common words in use in the USA and translate to the queens english and some hummer. The format will be american-quèens english. Add more you wish.

Hôod-bonnet, the front of the car.

Trunk-hood, the back of the car. Right here there is a problem. They have their cars backwords. No wonder the brits drive on the wrong side of the road.

I thought it usually trunk= boot, hence car boot sale.

• Like 1

Stud american for a womens man of men. English- the queen.

Now you've completely lost me.

(and, what you call a 'trunk', the English call a 'boot')

• Like 1

Sorry, I have heard both for the trunk. As for the other I am saying there are no studs in england except the queen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I left some out of my list below but it should be fairly comprehensive:

American English British English

Drapes Curtains

Water Faucet Water Tap

Sidewalk Footpath or Pavement

Candy Sweets

Fries Chips

Daipers Nappies

Gas Petrol

Freeway Motorway

Hood (of car) Bonnet

Trunk (of car) Boot

Shades (window) Blinds

Panties Knickers

Bangs Fringe

Fanny Bottom/ass/bum

Pants Trousers

Yeah one of the funniest has to be Fanny.... that certainly doesn't mean your backside over here LOL.

And also "suspenders". I hear of men wearing suspenders in the USA and it makes me giggle :)