Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman creates taxidermy shoes & accessories

Still Waters

A woman has turned her obsession with taxidermy into a fashionable venture - a shoe collection.

Divya Anantharaman, a 29-year-old Pratt Institute graduate originally from Miami, kills and stuffs birds, rodents and deer herself, and then fashions them into unique sculptures and wearable accessories.

Now, the Brooklyn resident is launching a collection of taxidermy-themed footwear, including a pair of six-inch heels adorned with metallic silver scales, quartz crystals and real sparrows.

http://www.dailymail...rs-herself.html

• Like 1

I rather have shoes made out of human.

I like the bird shoes, they're pretty cool. I love birds and all and I wouldn't kill any for art, but I do have some bird wings at home (from my birds that died) so I can kind of appreciate the whole taxidermy thing. Besides, who hasn't wore cow hide and you probably wish you had some alligator... birds drop dead all the time.

I like the shoes and I would actually wear them too, but only on Halloween.

Sad to kill them though, in my opinion :(

Edited by SpiritWriter

To be honest I did not find these works of "art" to be attractive at all.

To try and compare this sort of wastefulness with the wide usage of cows is ridiculous.

Where does she get these birds? Trap them? Buy them from shops?

It's one thing to preserve an animal that has already died of natural causes as part of an educational effort but for wasteful and useless appurtenances? Nope.

Besides, it would seem all too easy to lose one of those birds if a woman were to wear them in public.

Edited by Ryu