Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has the BB ended?

Gomar

Hi all,

I'd like to know if the Big Bang(BB) occurred, the matter was blown into space by this explosion/and/or expansion and then it ended/stopped, or is the BB still continuing?

What I mean is, is the BB like a bomb that explodes and that's it, or is it like a shower faucet unless you shut it off it wont ever stop pouring water?

The water goes from the faucet down into the drain, creates a vortex and comes out on the other side.

Is the BB like that? Did the matter come out from the other side of some other universe, thruough a hole or a drain into ours, and is still pouring out from that point of BB until it stops... which explains why the universe is still expanding faster than before.

Hi all,

I'd like to know if the Big Bang(BB) occurred, the matter was blown into space by this explosion/and/or expansion and then it ended/stopped, or is the BB still continuing?

What I mean is, is the BB like a bomb that explodes and that's it, or is it like a shower faucet unless you shut it off it wont ever stop pouring water?

The water goes from the faucet down into the drain, creates a vortex and comes out on the other side.

Is the BB like that? Did the matter come out from the other side of some other universe, thruough a hole or a drain into ours, and is still pouring out from that point of BB until it stops... which explains why the universe is still expanding faster than before.

I don't think you can think of the BB as matter being blown into space but as a rapid inflation of space-time and energy. That expansion is still happening, and maybe there could be other universes going through similar things right now. The most surprising thing to me was the discovery that instead of slowing down the expansion of space is accelerating.
  • Like 1

Yea -- don't think of the Big Bang as an explosion. That will get you off on the wrong track. The galaxies are moving apart because the space/time they are in is expanding and they are like raisins stuck in rising dough.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Related general information:

http://www.einstein-...lights/BBN_phys

http://science.nasa....d-the-big-bang/

http://cmb.physics.w...al/bigbang.html

I don't know about the Big Bang, but I'd dearly love for the Big Bang Theory to end.

"ohh look, it's pocking gentle fun at geek culture" ha ha ha, no it's bloody not it's ridiculing geek culture - anything that puts a laugh track on the line "I was playing Dungeons and Dragons" as the response to the question "what were you doing when NASA rung you?" isn't laughing with geek culture.

I don't know about the Big Bang, but I'd dearly love for the Big Bang Theory to end.

"ohh look, it's pocking gentle fun at geek culture" ha ha ha, no it's bloody not it's ridiculing geek culture - anything that puts a laugh track on the line "I was playing Dungeons and Dragons" as the response to the question "what were you doing when NASA rung you?" isn't laughing with geek culture.

Maybe you could translate that for me. It made no sense.

Maybe you could translate that for me. It made no sense.

"Big Bang Theory" is a television show.

I believe the event called the Big Bang actually happened and then was done. At that point a somewhat-smaller-then-we-have-now Universe was born and began to cool down and form matter from the soup of particles that was distributed unevenly across the cosmos.

What is going on now is an Expansion cycle. My understanding is that even if you got to the "edge" of the universe and looked back, you'd not see the Big Bang, but would see the Universe in it's first moments.

It is kind of like when a Baby is born and the Baby moves on from there. Well, the Big Bang is the "being born" part. It was an event that happened and ended.

Edited by DieChecker

I believe the event called the Big Bang actually happened and then was done. At that point a somewhat-smaller-then-we-have-now Universe was born and began to cool down and form matter from the soup of particles that was distributed unevenly across the cosmos.

What is going on now is an Expansion cycle. My understanding is that even if you got to the "edge" of the universe and looked back, you'd not see the Big Bang, but would see the Universe in it's first moments.

It is kind of like when a Baby is born and the Baby moves on from there. Well, the Big Bang is the "being born" part. It was an event that happened and ended.

Yeah you can only see back to the point where the early universe cooled to the point where it was no longer plasma as plasma is opaque to visible light

Well, I was not playing Dungeons and Dragons when I got hired for any of my various jobs, because I played it Only on the weekends, and the companies doing the hiring only called during the weekdays. :tsu:

I do hate laugh tracks however.

Well, I was not playing Dungeons and Dragons when I got hired for any of my various jobs, because I played it Only on the weekends, and the companies doing the hiring only called during the weekdays. :tsu:

I do hate laugh tracks however.

I used to like dungeons and dragons. NASA never called though
  • Like 1

Whether the Big Bang has ended or not depends on how you want to define its boundaries, and I don't think cosmologists have paid the question any attention. The expansion of the universe continues and even speeds up, so I would say it is an ongoing process.

Whether the Big Bang has ended or not depends on how you want to define its boundaries, and I don't think cosmologists have paid the question any attention. The expansion of the universe continues and even speeds up, so I would say it is an ongoing process.

I agree it depends on your definition. Hyper inflation has ended at least in this region of space but I have heard it still could be going on in other parts of space-time
  • Like 1

It seems to me (just my opinion) the big bang itself, or the appearance of what has become the universe as we know it, was instantaneous. There was nothing, then there was something.

I'm interested to know what occurred between the instant of the BB and the inflationary period. The inflationary period, according to Wikipedia, occurred 10^-36 seconds after the BB and lasted until 10^-32 seconds, in which the early universe expanded by a factor of at least 10^78 in volume.

I read somewhere that that is like inflating a basketball to the size of the observable universe in that short interval of time. (Basketball inflated to a diameter of 124 billion light years in .00000000000000000000000000000004 fraction of a second {if I've counted my zero's correctly})

• Like 2

The instantaneous appearance of space/time (the beginning of time) is what happened. The creation of almost (if not actually) infinite energy was part of it that issued mainly during Inflation that followed.

I'm sure you can't understand this; I'm sure there a lot of things you can't understand. Get use to it, and don't think you have to be able to understand something for it to be true.

• Like 1

But what was the initial concentration of energy? It had to be something and it had to come from something else. Where was it and why was it there?

I used to like dungeons and dragons. NASA never called though

Me neither, though I put it right there on my Resume....

• Like 1

I think it also depends on how someone thinks of space-time. Most will state that there is no "edge" and so there is not some flaming-roiling big-bang wave-front of energy rolling outwards. What the universe is, is infinate distance in all directions, but which is still expanding, where everywhere inside the universe seems to be as far away from everything as everywhere else (Does that make sense?). So that if you were where "We" see a quasar, there would be no quasar there, but only the universe like we have here, with galaxies and open spaces and galactic dust. And you'd look back at were you came from and see a quasar where "We" are at here.

If you accept that there is no edges, and everywhere is similar, then it is a lot easier to believe that the Big Bang was an event and not an ongoing phenomena.

But what was the initial concentration of energy? It had to be something and it had to come from something else. Where was it and why was it there?

That is the ultimate question for cosmologists. Dr. Lawrence Krauss has a lot to say on the subject.

http://www.thesciencenetwork.org

His idea is it came from quantum fluctuation because "nothing" is unstable. This is hard for me to explain well as I am no physicist and I don't claim to understand it completely. He makes it sound pretty plausible though

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMindFeed

• Like 1

The real wonder is the origin of space/time itself. Virtually limitless energy is inherent in space/time and was released during inflation.

The real wonder is the origin of space/time itself. Virtually limitless energy is inherent in space/time and was released during inflation.

Ok, but why did it begin 13.5B years ago, and not 10B years before that? Or 6.3million years or 2 days ago?

How long did this un-exploded matter exist before it did?

What force(s) caused the matter to expand finally?

Also, if the universe was itself created during the BB, then what is it expanding into? Thus, there was empty space, and then bang, here comes the expanding matter filling the empty space.

That's why I said it's like a drain in a bathtub; turn the water on(BB), it swirles and goes down the drain(expansion). Something just had to turn something on for matter to come about, and expand into the univese. Like lighting a match.

Thus, the matter came from some other universe/dimension or space-time existence.

Actually my understanding is 13.7 billion years ago. That they are able to reach this level of precision is wonderful.

The universe is expanding -- you limited imagination brings you to perhaps not understand that it is not expanding into anything. There is no "outside" the universe. Either space/time was already boundless or it curves in on itself in the time dimension (which is what Einstein imagined, but the evidence so far is of the opposite.

• Like 2

Ok, but why did it begin 13.5B years ago, and not 10B years before that? Or 6.3million years or 2 days ago?

How long did this un-exploded matter exist before it did?

What force(s) caused the matter to expand finally?

Also, if the universe was itself created during the BB, then what is it expanding into? Thus, there was empty space, and then bang, here comes the expanding matter filling the empty space.

I think this is more of a philosophical question and one, I doubt there is any answer to. If everything was going to start it had to do it sometime(which is really meaningless because apparently time itself started then) It happened when it did because that's when it happened. As far as what i was expanding into, it wasn't expanding into anything but creating 4 dimensional space-time as it went. This is hard to visualise but there was no empty space before then bang there was