Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Notta Lotta People Know That!

Ealdwita

A math trick is add all the digits in a given number together, and keep adding total(s) until you come up w/ a single digit.

IF this single digit is 3,6, or 9 then the original number can be divided evenly by 3.

Ex: 3,487,621,389=51=6

• Like 1

I haven't read all the posts so I hope this hasn't already been posted...there are more possible chess games than there are atoms in the universe:

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-12/fyi-how-many-different-ways-can-chess-game-unfold

• Like 2

The Dubai problem reminds me of Versailles, where there were no facilities whatever and everyone doused themselves with perfume to deal with it. No wonder the French invented many of the scents.

• Like 2

A large number of hippos is called a BLOAT!!!

And (I just learned this recently...hope it hasn't been posted yet) a "flock" of crows is called...get this...a murder of crows.

• Like 3

And (I just learned this recently...hope it hasn't been posted yet) a "flock" of crows is called...get this...a murder of crows.

Crows are awesome birds, and have gotten a bad rap throughout history... Although, from the crows I've known, if they knew we called a group of them

a murder, I'm sure they would laugh at it...

• Like 2

A math trick is add all the digits in a given number together, and keep adding total(s) until you come up w/ a single digit.

IF this single digit is 3,6, or 9 then the original number can be divided evenly by 3.

Ex: 3,487,621,389=51=6

Yes, I checked that and it works. Very-in-ter-est-ink - if you are old enough to remember Rowan & Martin's Laugh In! Btw, on this side of the Atlantic we say 'maths'. I always think 'math' looks strange!

• Like 1

The Dubai problem reminds me of Versailles, where there were no facilities whatever and everyone doused themselves with perfume to deal with it. No wonder the French invented many of the scents.

'Toilet water' springs to mind!

Crows are awesome birds, and have gotten a bad rap throughout history... Although, from the crows I've known, if they knew we called a group of them

a murder, I'm sure they would laugh at it...

I always think a 'racket' of crows would be very appropriate as they do make one hell of a racket!

• Like 1

Yes, I checked that and it works. Very-in-ter-est-ink - if you are old enough to remember Rowan & Martin's Laugh In! Btw, on this side of the Atlantic we say 'maths'. I always think 'math' looks strange!

Of course it works.....on any number! :tu:

Yes, I'm old enough, and still remember. ;)

Notta lotta ppl know that I can touch my left thumb to my left wrist, (w/ an assist from my right hand).

What I didn't know is very few ppl can do this.

• Like 2

Notta lotta ppl know that I can touch my left thumb to my left wrist, (w/ an assist from my right hand).

What I didn't know is very few ppl can do this.

I can't! I wonder how many can! Maybe we should start a thread on that one!! :yes:

• Like 1

Tech, Notta lotta ppl know that I had put this on status updates the other day.....dunno if it's worth a thread.

Notta lotta ppl know that you can make a functioning rocket using 2 common household items....what are they???

• Like 2

In the film "The Wizard of Oz", the actor playing the Cowardly Lion wore a costume made from real lion's skin and fur.

Also, they changed from green to ruby-red slippers.

Buddy Ebson was going to play the Tinman, but developed a near-fatal reaction to the aluminum based make-up.

Notta lotta ppl know that Howard Carter, (discoverer of King Tut's Tomb) was a very good artist, and he started out as an Arch Journalist. He worked for Petrie and painted several watercolors of Tomb paintings.

• Like 2

Tech, Notta lotta ppl know that I had put this on status updates the other day.....dunno if it's worth a thread.

Notta lotta ppl know that you can make a functioning rocket using 2 common household items....what are they???

Matches and aluminum foil.

Edited by Gaden
  • Like 3

Matches and aluminum foil.

Correct, good job.....and the ONLY person here to know this. :tu:

Edited by scorpiosonic
  • Like 1

No word in the English language rhymes with the words orange, month, silver or purple.

A friend of mine (Sue) pointed out something I didn't notice: 3 out of 4 of those words are colors!

• Like 1

That not all the…..'Notta lotta people know that', comments are either….. little known or necessarily facts at all.

E.g.

Purple…Turtle.

Month….Bumf…. Bumf is a lovely word particularly when used for facts that are not facts at all.

Oh, I just thought of a word that rhymes with month...schmonth! As in, "WAIT A MONTH??!! Month, schmonth, I'm not waiting a month!"

• Like 1

Wyatt Earp was a pimp in Peoria.... :yes:

I believe that. He's not quite the angel he is cracked up to be.

• Like 1

There are diamonds the size of Jupiter

????? WHERE?????

eta: Never mind, I didn't read far enough. Thanks.

Edited by Gummug
  • Like 1

Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, never telephoned His wife or mother because they were both deaf.

• Like 2

Arguably the weirdest moon in the solar system is Saturn's Iapetus. It wears a chain of mountains around the equator, like a belt:

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2014/05/30/saturns-moon-wears-the-weirdest-mountain-range-in-the-solar-system/

• Like 1

I'm not sure but I think maybe it is the only known substance with that property. Of course what makes it important to us in not so much that as that it is such a good solvent for almost anything.

I think I read somewhere that if ice were heavier than water, when lakes freeze, the fish would die, but they can live since it is lighter (not sure why...I know the fish would be forced up higher as the water below froze...deep sea fish might explode but I doubt the ocean freezes at all...except at the poles).

• Like 1

You might enjoy this from Col. D. G. Swinford, USMC, Ret. and history buff. You would really have to dig deep to get this kind of ringside seat to history:

1. The first German serviceman killed in WW II was killed by the Japanese, (China, 1937). The first American serviceman killed was killed by the Russians, (Finland, 1940). The highest ranking American killed was Lt. Gen. Lesley McNair, killed by the US Army Air Corps.

2. The youngest US serviceman was 12-year-old Calvin Graham, USN. He was wounded and given a Dishonorable Discharge for lying about his age. His benefits were later restored by act of Congress.

3. At the time of Pearl Harbor, the top US Navy command was called CINCUS, (pronounced 'sink us'). The shoulder patch of the US Army's 45th Infantry division was the swastika. Hitler's private train was named 'Amerika.' All three were soon changed for PR purposes.

4. More US servicemen died in the Air Corps than the Marine Corps. While completing the required 30 missions, an airman's chance of being killed was 71%.

5. Generally speaking, there was no such thing as an average fighter pilot. You were either an ace or a target. For instance, Japanese Ace Hiroyoshi Nishizawa shot down over 80 planes. He died while a passenger on a cargo plane.

6. It was a common practice on fighter planes to load every 5th round with a tracer round to aid in aiming. This was a big mistake. Tracers had different ballistics so, (at long range), if your tracers were hitting the target 80% of your rounds were missing. Worse yet tracers instantly told your enemy he was under fire and from which direction. Worst of all was the practice of loading a string of tracers at the end of the belt to tell you that you were out of ammo. This was definitely not something you wanted to tell the enemy. Units that stopped using tracers saw their success rate nearly double and their loss rate go down.

7. When allied armies reached the Rhine, the first thing men did was pee in it. This was pretty universal from the lowest private to Winston Churchill, (who made a big show of it), and Gen. Patton, (who had himself photographed in the act).

8. German Me-264 bombers were capable of bombing New York City, but they decided it wasn't worth the effort.

9. German submarine U-120 was sunk by a malfunctioning toilet.

10. Among the first 'Germans' captured at Normandy were several Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the Japanese Army until they were captured by the Russians and forced to fight for the Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans and forced to fight for the German Army until they were captured by the US Army.

11. Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 United States and Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska, in the Aleutian Islands. 21 troops were killed in the assault on the island....... It could have been worse if there had actually been any Japanese on the island.

12. The last marine killed in WW2 was killed by a can of spam. He was on the ground as a POW in Japan when rescue flights dropping food and supplies came over, the package came apart in the air and a stray can of spam hit him and killed him.

Now that was REALLY fascinating...I especially liked the part about the tracers, didn't know that at all.

• Like 1

ABBA still earns approx 3.4M USD per annum on royalties.

• Like 2

The crystal skulls (of Indiana Jones fame) are almost certainly of recent, modern manufacture. None of them have a provenance of turning up at excavations. Series of analyses show traces of polishing and abrasion by modern tools. It is thought they were manufactured in Europe, probably in Germany, in the 19th or 20th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_skull

• Like 2

In 1938 Henry Ford got the award of the Grand Cross of the German Eagle, the highest medal Nazi Germany

could bestow on a foreigner and he is also the only American mentioned in Hitlers book Mein Kampf.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1