Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Notta Lotta People Know That!

Ealdwita

Some interesting uses for salt: Say goodbye to fleas...if you think your dog has fleas, wash the doghouse with saltwater and wash the blankets in saltwater. If you think they are in the carpet, sprinkle lightly with salt, brush it in, let it sit for 12 hours then vacuum thoroughly. If you drop an egg on the kitchen floor, sprinkle salt on it and leave for 20 minutes. You'll be able to wipe it up easily. Sprinkle salt in doorways, on window sills, and any where else ants might sneak in to keep them out. More uses of salt at:

http://didyouknow.org/10-good-uses-for-salt/

About 1 out of every 2 million people will die by falling out of bed. Be careful. Most are very young children or elderly.

The loudest land animal is the Howler monkey whose deep howls and growls can be heard clearly through the forest up to three miles.

The loudest mammal of all is the Blue whale. At 188 decibels, it can be heard for hundreds of miles in the oceans.

The only state in the United States to grow coffee is Hawaii. Known in Hawaii as kope, it is the most expensive coffee in the world. (Maybe because of shipping charges,eh?)

Known in Hawaii as kope, it is the most expensive coffee in the world.

Nope. The most expensive coffee in the world is Kopi Luwak, check why: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Have just checked at a local coffee dealer:

Hawaii Kona : 216USD//1kg

Kopi Luwak : 533USD//1kg

• Like 1

I stand corrected. Thanks. It was my fault, the site said "Hawaiian coffee is SOME of the most expensive in the world". I misquoted, sorry. (www.interestingfacts.net)

• Like 1

Pearls melt in vinegar.

You burn more calories sleeping than watching TV.

Walt Disney was afraid of mice.

The rat has been called the world's most destructive mammal...other than man.

Rats destroy an estimated 1/3 of the world's food supply each year.

(I get the feeling the person who started this site doesn't like rats!)

A raisin dropped in a glass of champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top (now that's one I'd like to try!)

A female ferret will die if it goes into heat and cannot find a mate. ???!!!

Donald Duck comics were banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

The internet is full of fascinating facts...some of which are even true.

A cat named Tama is a manager at a railway station in Japan, a job which pays her in cat food. During her tenure ridership has increased 10%, leading her to be promoted to super station manager in 2008. Tama's currently the only female employee in a managerial position.

A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to re-frame or re-interpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect. For this reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists. Two examples:

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Some cause happiness wherever they go. Some whenever they go.

Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.

Mayday...the word used by ships in trouble...comes from French "M'aidez" (help me).

Most people use about three times the amount of toothpaste, twice the amount of shampoo, and twice the amount of soap they need to use each time they bathe. This tendency applies to almost all household products. The marketers of course picture this excess use to help sell their products, but it is expensive and not good for the environment.

• Like 2

Scientists have no clue how dinosaurs mated due to their enormous weight, plates, spikes and tails. Paleontologists have also never found fossils of dinosaurs in the act.

• Like 1

For the first six weeks of embryonic development only the X chromosome exerts influence, meaning we all start out female. Nipples develop before the Y chromosome kicks in, which is why men have nipples.

• Like 1

When Marco Polo reached Indonesia he saw a rhinoceros, thought it was a unicorn, and was really disappointed about how ugly it was.

In the state of Kentucky it is against the law to carry an ice cream in your back pocket. Old law.

Scientists have no clue how dinosaurs mated due to their enormous weight, plates, spikes and tails. Paleontologists have also never found fossils of dinosaurs in the act.

I had no clue how elephants mate until I saw a film of it. I still don't believe it.
  • Like 2

In 1923 jockey Frank Hayes won a race at Belmont Park in New York, despite being dead - he died of a heart attack mid-race but his body stayed in the saddle until his horse crossed the line for a 20-1 outsider victory.

This only works if you/they belive the Bible is true. Because if it is...we are all Jewish.

We are all the choosen people.

Why-Noah, his 3 sons & their 4 wives all were after the flood...who repopulated the earth-those 8. And if you care to read the 1st maybe 2nd book in Bible it'll state the females were very different looking from each other & the men-or 5 races/colours.

My churchy boarding school didnt care for that any more than my granny did.

• Like 1

The origins of the slang terms for "Police" in English: Cops, Fuzz, (USA) Bobbies (Britain) and Peelers (Ireland)

Cops: Police use to carry bullets with distinctive copper tips... people started calling them "Coppers", which eventually was shortened to "Cops"

Fuzz: The traditional blue uniform worn by most US "cops" were made out of wool, and besides being rather hot, tended to be "fuzzy"... Hence "Fuzz"

Bobbies and Peelers: Lord Robert Peel is credited with starting the London Metropolitan police force... People would say "Here comes Bobbies Boys", which eventually led to "Bobbies"

The Irish used his last name Peel for the same reason...

• Like 1

Cats do not have 'sweet' taste bud receptors ...that's why they don't steal chocolate like dogs do!

• Like 3

Cats do not have 'sweet' taste bud receptors ...that's why they don't steal chocolate like dogs do!

But mine absolutely loves potato chips.... (from the salt on them I guess)

• Like 2

A friend of mine used to have a cat who ate peaches when she was little...they called her "Peaches".

• Like 2

England is smaller than the US state of Florida by 15,409 miles.

• Like 1