Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bloomberg bans food donation to homeless

Simbi Laveau

I really cannot comment on this.I hate this guy so much.

He feels we need to control the homeless food salt fat and sugar intake.

I'm not sure when this occurred, as it got no media coverage.

A friend in NC told me.

Full story here:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/19/bloomberg-strikes-again-nyc-bans-food-donations-to-the-homeless/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s food police have struck again!Outlawed are food donations to homeless shelters because the city can’t assess their salt, fat and fiber content, reports CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer.Glenn Richter arrived at a West Side synagogue on Monday to collect surplus bagels — fresh nutritious bagels — to donate to the poor. However, under a new edict from Bloomberg’s food police he can no longer donate the food to city homeless shelters.

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 4

I have seen this months ago.

But yeah its one of the dumbest things I have ever heard a politician do. I have no clue why this guy gets reelected.

• Like 4

I have seen this months ago.

But yeah its one of the dumbest things I have ever heard a politician do. I have no clue why this guy gets reelected.

Well with all this going on in NC, it came up.I heard nothing about it until now.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think that this guy is kind of mental. I realize that the homeless who get ill have to be cared for in city hospitals and that such expense is a burden but REALLY? Control their salt and fat by making them go hungry also? He's off in the never never it seems.

• Like 4

QUOTE-

Mayor Bloomberg, a salt-aholic himself, was unapologetic.

why does the fact that this ''man'' is a hypocrite not suprise me?

bet he doesn't walk down too many dark alleys on his own.....

unfortunately.

• Like 3

He is definately an opportunist. He first was a Dem, then a Repub, now an Inde. He's re-molded his image more times then Barbie. The guy seems basically to be a reactionist liberal. He basically sees something he thinks that a mojority of his voters would be against and then moves to ban that thing. He's re-written NYC law to allow him to serve a 3rd term. He's pandered to anyone and everyone who holds out a little bit of money. Pretty sad. Why to people keep voting for him? I guess the NYC Majority must be easy to dupe?

• Like 6

I'm beginning to think that this guy is kind of mental. I realize that the homeless who get ill have to be cared for in city hospitals and that such expense is a burden but REALLY? Control their salt and fat by making them go hungry also? He's off in the never never it seems.

He's been mental his entire last term.

He will never be elected to another office.

• Like 2

He is definately an opportunist. He first was a Dem, then a Repub, now an Inde. He's re-molded his image more times then Barbie. The guy seems basically to be a reactionist liberal. He basically sees something he thinks that a mojority of his voters would be against and then moves to ban that thing. He's re-written NYC law to allow him to serve a 3rd term. He's pandered to anyone and everyone who holds out a little bit of money. Pretty sad. Why to people keep voting for him? I guess the NYC Majority must be easy to dupe?

Trust me, we didn't vote for him.The entire third term has been illegal.

• Like 2

Tyrants always model and force the way others act after an 'ideal' vision.

Yet they themselves have the unique entitlement to not live out this vision.

That is the definition of tyranny; 'I'm going to make you all do this - or not do this, but I'm exempt because I'm a special case.'

I'll quote Camus, since it seems fitting... "We are all special cases."

Edited by Hatake Kakashi
  • Like 3

the idea of making sure the food the poorest people get is healthy is a good, one but once again the execution is awful.

the idea of making sure the food the poorest people get is healthy is a good, one but once again the execution is awful.

Hes not feeding them, so people donating to them are donating McDonald's?

No.

Most of it comes from stores getting rid of unsold stuff.

Some people cook.He acts as if we are giving them soda and fries.

It's veggies, bagels, fruits.

This guy should burn in hell already.

• Like 3

when the horse-meat scandal broke, one of the ideas touted was to give the contaminated food to the homeless, which in my opinion was a better idea than letting it go to waste.

maybe I should run for mayor....?

:-)

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 3

i think so too... stop feeding the homeless,, and many will be homeless .. someplace else. Not sure if Bloomberg actually cares one way or the other... as DieChecker points out.. his 'concerns' are purely politically , and most likely financially, motivated?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3

In nearby Portland, the City has just had it out with the latest Homeless Camp in the Downtown. The City keeps complaining about the number of homeless, but then goes and makes Portland the most Homeless Friendly city on the west coast. What did they think was going to happen when they allow the Homeless to do basically whatever they want?

I do believe the homeless are the cities responsibility. They should either house and feed them, or help them move along. It is shameful to have a beautiful city like Portland, full of sculptures, culturally relevant businesses and structures, widely appealing stores and restaurants. And then have these place choked with dozens of homeless sitting outside the businesses and hundreds of them in each park.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

OH MY GOD! He's pushing the envelope! Go away, Bloomberg! No one likes you!

• Like 1