Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Maury Island UFO

quillius

This case has been commonly quoted as being just a hoax.

I was advised to look into the case and after doing so for a while now find it quite amazing especially with regards to the significance of its 'timing' in the grander scale of things!

Can anyone convince me it was just a hoax, and if so please can you show me why?

• Like 1

I think this story is garbage

http://ufos.about.co...mauryisland.htm

and Kevin Randle isn't convinced either http://kevinrandle.b...-ufo-crash.html

yes I have read what Kevin Randle has had to say...but as mentioned I am not convinced and there is a lot to be said about the timing. In addition there is more to be said about the two men sent to investigate...but I am sure that will come later.

thanks for the links, however can you sum up some key points that make you say 'hoax/garbage' please (include who started it and why?)

Edited by quillius
  • Like 1

motive.....now theres an interesting line of research...hence why I think its important to establish 'who' and 'why'....

after this I can point out what I believe to be major 'flaws' in Randles piece linked above

• Like 1

No hoax

No motive for a hoax whatsoever.

It's one of the classic ufo cases that remains totally unexplained.

No evidence that it was a hoax.

"Before his death Crisman was peddling a new, improved, UFO-less version of the Maury Island story. He now claimed that the "truth" involved, not flying doughnuts dropping slag, but something even more dangerous: illegal dumping by military aircraft of radioactive waste into the harbor."

http://science.howstuffworks.com/space/aliens-ufos/maury-island-incident.htm

Admitting you lied = HOAX

• Like 2

This case has been commonly quoted as being just a hoax.

I was advised to look into the case and after doing so for a while now find it quite amazing especially with regards to the significance of its 'timing' in the grander scale of things!

Can anyone convince me it was just a hoax, and if so please can you show me why?

Hello quillius.

You really picked a dusty old case there. :)

Personally, I don't think there's enough evidence for this to be anything else but a hoax.

The pictures of the alleged UFO (which were claimed to have come out distorted as though exposed to some kind of radiation) were never shown to anyone. Distorted or not, they at least would have lent some credibility to the claims being made by Crisman and Dahl. How convenient it was that they should disappear from Dahl's car when he went to retrieve them.

The so-called debris ejected by the UFO turned out to be simple slag from a smelting plant. Even Kenneth Arnold compared the debris with common slag he collected from a smelter and found them to be alike.

Dahl eventually admitted that the whole thing was a hoax. Since Dahl (along with Crisman) had initially contacted Raymond Palmer (a publisher who was not above sensationalizing stories of the paranormal) about the incident, there's no reason to believe that he (Dahl) was coerced into retracting his story.

As for the plane crash that killed the two Army investigators (Captain Davidson and Lieutenant Brown), that was a tragic accident, nothing more. Arnold's near-crash was due to error and was simply a coincidence.

I know there's more to the story, but all it does is to help the conclusion that this was a hoax.

• Like 2

"Before his death Crisman was peddling a new, improved, UFO-less version of the Maury Island story. He now claimed that the "truth" involved, not flying doughnuts dropping slag, but something even more dangerous: illegal dumping by military aircraft of radioactive waste into the harbor."

http://science.howst...nd-incident.htm

Admitting you lied = HOAX

where was the lie?

he never said he saw ufos to begin with, it was Dahl.

• Like 2

Hello quillius.

You really picked a dusty old case there. :)

Hello Source, yes I was pointed to it by a friend.....a devout sceptic :) who doesnt buy the hoax story...that in itself spoke volumes to me.

Personally, I don't think there's enough evidence for this to be anything else but a hoax.

I dont agree but maybe the discussion will change my view

The pictures of the alleged UFO (which were claimed to have come out distorted as though exposed to some kind of radiation) were never shown to anyone. Distorted or not, they at least would have lent some credibility to the claims being made by Crisman and Dahl. How convenient it was that they should disappear from Dahl's car when he went to retrieve them.

they were in the hotel for four hours, plenty of time to do the deed especially as it would have been the best time....investigatin happening, AF involved......(if the men in black is to be believed)

The so-called debris ejected by the UFO turned out to be simple slag from a smelting plant. Even Kenneth Arnold compared the debris with common slag he collected from a smelter and found them to be alike.

the debris consisted of both black lava type material and many sheets of 'newspaper thick' metal. As for Kenneth Arnold he found it interesting enough to get the AF to fly down and see (rather than send samples up) and still discussed the case many years later. I have seen articles playing down his interest but the facts dont support this as far as I have seen

Dahl eventually admitted that the whole thing was a hoax. Since Dahl (along with Crisman) had initially contacted Raymond Palmer (a publisher who was not above sensationalizing stories of the paranormal) about the incident, there's no reason to believe that he (Dahl) was coerced into retracting his story.

according to the AF who said he admitted a hoax. FBI agent George Wilcox said that Dahl did not admit a hoax but said if questioned he would say it was a hoax to avoid trouble. As for the hoax theory who instigated it and why? (I will then show you the problems I have with this theory)

As for the plane crash that killed the two Army investigators (Captain Davidson and Lieutenant Brown), that was a tragic accident, nothing more. Arnold's near-crash was due to error and was simply a coincidence.

two big coincidences coupled with the reporter (Paul Lance) who died mysteriously after two weeks and Ted Morello also, and the fact that Arnold was now investigating UFO's, the Roswell incident happening, the change in the AF/Army etc happening on the following day, Dahl dissapearing.

question for you: did the two AF intellignece guys investigate UFOs already?

I know there's more to the story, but all it does is to help the conclusion that this was a hoax.

yes I agree there is more to the story, however I think it blows holes in the hoax theory rather than support it.

I would like to know who the other two crew members were that were on the boat with Dahl.

I would like to see the original letter sent to Palmer.

I would like to know why Arnold is claimed to have been uninterested yet brings in the two intellignece guys and speaks about thecase many years later.

I would like to know why Ray Palmer who increased circulation due to his story was fired soon after

I would like to know who instigate the hoax and why. (and how this motive was achieved)

plus a few other things :)

• Like 1

I've never heard of this one. Interesting story. But I don't know if I'd go so far as to make a movie out of it.

Hi Q

Having advised you this was worth looking at, it would be remiss of me to leave you with it on your own. I agree with you, the case is interesting and I believe historically significant, being the first instance of MIB. Looking at it properly though, UFOlogists have spread so much erroneous information about wanting this to be proof of ET that any serious look at the subject is quickly dismissed.

As soon as Anthony Bragalia said it was a hoax I was suspicious that it might actually be genuine. I genuinely respect Kevin Randle and his UFO reports, in my opinion he is the brightest spark on that block of UFOlogists, and the only one probably worth giving the time of day to. But he has been wrong, is human, and capable of human error like all of us. I completely believe his reasons for feeling Roswell is a genuine ET incident are too basic and fail to explain anything more than Kevin's personal struggle with the convoluted and polluted information at hand. Kevin did say on the page:

It should be noted that no material with anything unusual about it has ever surfaced, though Crisman had suggested in the 1960s he still had some of it. The photographs were supposedly taken by the military, through no one ever saw them and in the 1960s, Crisman suggested that he had made duplicate negatives so that the military had not gotten them all, but, of course the pictures never surfaced.

This is a picture. That did make the Tacoma Times in 1947.

slag.jpg

The entire argument is based solely around Crisman. I think because he is an easy target, not so much to say on Harold Dahl. Crispins wild tales of underground people set a precedent. Crisman however was reportedly angry at the mention of damage to the boat, and went on to support the claim later. But Dahl has no such history, before or after the claimed event. We have Dahl's son, daughter and wife declaring it a hoax, which seem pretty cut and dry, unless you look as suggested by others at the Roswell incident. (Bragalia's take: Crisman drew upon elements of genuine UFO encounters such as Arnold's and Roswell's because Crisman was good at copying. )

Whilst many claim the Roswell Incident most likely influenced the tale of Maury Island, it took place 12 days after Maury Island, as far as I understand, Dahl had already circulated the tale of debris.

Personally I do not see much alike other than the very basics. The Roswell Material is described as flat metal which reforms, the Maury Island material is described as both slag and volcanic rock.

Much is also made of Kenneth Arnold's disappointment, yet the men themselves did not contact Arnold. It is fair enough that Arnold did not think much of the debris, but what was he expecting? Isotopic analysis would have confirmed this immediately I do not know that such was ever carried out.

But a most interesting connection I find is the appearance of Men In Black for the first time, when we consider that the USAF initially denied that they had any debris at all, but changed the story after the plane crash, and the very fact that his wife went hysterical when a reporter showed up at their house, told Dahl to stop lying, and went so far as to pull a knife on him to shut him up.That does not strike me as an embarrassed woman, but one who is in real fear. His son claims it never happened, so does his daughter who was not a witness, and claims the family dog never died. No reason to say that is not that is true, but again, it strikes me as particularly strange that in "those times" that a family would not stand behind the father. We have seen torn cases of siblings, notably the Roswell incident, yet not here. Jesse Jr and Jesse Snr argued until the day Jesse Snr died about the shape of Roswell debris, yet that matters to nobody but skeptics. Jesse stood behind Dad, Bessie did not, she eventually had to be coerced into making a benign statement saying if her father said it was true then so be it. I have to say she sounds pressured, and she did it at a very late date many years after the incident, which I think coincided with some of Jesse's Roswell activities. Eventually despite early statements and disagreements they stood behind dear old dad like any loyal family member would. Not hard to put 2 and 2 together there. Not Dahl's children Considering the reactions, it strikes me that if one case of MIB was ever true, this would have to qualify as best candidate. It might mean nothing, too. But the wife pulling a knife was the first strange thing I noticed in this family unit. They were not ever divorced, they do not seem to have had personal problems that would result in such animosity. I do not believe the Military Issue Death threats, but do not hold the same confidence with CIA. And they would do a stupid experiment that put lives in danger. How they manage to keep the doors open continually amazes me. The people who funded the men who stare at goats.

The debris was considered ordinary aluminium on sight but as far as I know was never tested, and it held a square rivet. More likely to be earthly in origin I admit. Being square does not by any means ET. But all the same it is odd, and not explained. Just another strange thing to add. Perhaps no connection to ET, but like Cash Landrum, it could have been some sort of military experiment that is being covered up for the sake of money. Even perhaps embarrassment, but then again who knows. the ETHer's always say just one has to be true. I doubt that is the case at all, who knows maybe it is and this is it. Sounds more like wishful thinking to be honest, but their exuberance for this to be ET I feel left too many questions unanswered and stole any credibility the story had. It's the most underrated claim in UFOlogy IMHO and definitely is not entirely explained. I feel analysis of the hoax claim, which was later retracted, was solely based on one mans credibility, whilst completely ignoring the other. The claims from the siblings that it never happened were long after the incident, however this puts a huge fly in the ointment, and I feel a reason why many do not go past Crisman. It's also why The Source is probably right, and as long as those statements exist, they cannot be denied, believe them or not. It does not mean all of the hard questions have been answered though.

And I am sure you have more to add to this. As you say timing. And something about pilots and debris ;) This happens, next thing the Roswell Incident initiates a saucer frenzy, all around the same time the Twining Memo suggests a covert study in UFO's. This incident may not have happened, it may not be ET, but I do not think focusing on Crispin is a thorough and valid study to result in a firm conclusion. After all, he never even claimed to have been part of the incident. But no matter how you look at it, as the first instance of MIB, it is historically significant with regards to the subject overall be it hoax, or other.

Good to see another notice the interesting angles without being drowned out by ET or Hoax. The subtleties of the incident make it quite a mystery as opposed to a big shiny UFO.

Cheers Mate.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

I've never heard of this one. Interesting story. But I don't know if I'd go so far as to make a movie out of it.

Put a topless lady in it. I'll pay to see it then.

Heck, they made a movie out of Travis Waltons dreary tale, ever seen the movie? If not stock up on no-doze first. Can't be worse than that.

• Like 1

No hoax

No motive for a hoax whatsoever.

It's one of the classic ufo cases that remains totally unexplained.

No evidence that it was a hoax.

Holy smoke!!

So, a science fiction movie and one of the silliest TV show of all time is all you need to believe in this one??!!

Why am I not surprised!? :lol:

Personaly I dont have the time to get into this case right now,... I have to catch a plane to Greece in a couple of hours. I would just like to say that unexplained to me is just that - UNEXPLAINED. Until that illusive hard scientific exhibit A that we all are waiting for changes that, unexplained has nothing to do with ET.

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 1

Hi Q

Having advised you this was worth looking at, it would be remiss of me to leave you with it on your own. I agree with you, the case is interesting and I believe historically significant, being the first instance of MIB. Looking at it properly though, UFOlogists have spread so much erroneous information about wanting this to be proof of ET that any serious look at the subject is quickly dismissed.

As soon as Anthony Bragalia said it was a hoax I was suspicious that it might actually be genuine. I genuinely respect Kevin Randle and his UFO reports, in my opinion he is the brightest spark on that block of UFOlogists, and the only one probably worth giving the time of day to. But he has been wrong, is human, and capable of human error like all of us. I completely believe his reasons for feeling Roswell is a genuine ET incident are too basic and fail to explain anything more than Kevin's personal struggle with the convoluted and polluted information at hand. Kevin did say on the page:

This is a picture. That did make the Tacoma Times in 1947.

slag.jpg

The entire argument is based solely around Crisman. I think because he is an easy target, not so much to say on Harold Dahl. Crispins wild tales of underground people set a precedent. Crisman however was reportedly angry at the mention of damage to the boat, and went on to support the claim later. But Dahl has no such history, before or after the claimed event. We have Dahl's son, daughter and wife declaring it a hoax, which seem pretty cut and dry, unless you look as suggested by others at the Roswell incident. (Bragalia's take: Crisman drew upon elements of genuine UFO encounters such as Arnold's and Roswell's because Crisman was good at copying. )

Whilst many claim the Roswell Incident most likely influenced the tale of Maury Island, it took place 12 days after Maury Island, as far as I understand, Dahl had already circulated the tale of debris.

Personally I do not see much alike other than the very basics. The Roswell Material is described as flat metal which reforms, the Maury Island material is described as both slag and volcanic rock.

Much is also made of Kenneth Arnold's disappointment, yet the men themselves did not contact Arnold. It is fair enough that Arnold did not think much of the debris, but what was he expecting? Isotopic analysis would have confirmed this immediately I do not know that such was ever carried out.

But a most interesting connection I find is the appearance of Men In Black for the first time, when we consider that the USAF initially denied that they had any debris at all, but changed the story after the plane crash, and the very fact that his wife went hysterical when a reporter showed up at their house, told Dahl to stop lying, and went so far as to pull a knife on him to shut him up.That does not strike me as an embarrassed woman, but one who is in real fear. His son claims it never happened, so does his daughter who was not a witness, and claims the family dog never died. No reason to say that is not that is true, but again, it strikes me as particularly strange that in "those times" that a family would not stand behind the father. We have seen torn cases of siblings, notably the Roswell incident, yet not here. Jesse Jr and Jesse Snr argued until the day Jesse Snr died about the shape of Roswell debris, yet that matters to nobody but skeptics. Jesse stood behind Dad, Bessie did not, she eventually had to be coerced into making a benign statement saying if her father said it was true then so be it. I have to say she sounds pressured, and she did it at a very late date many years after the incident, which I think coincided with some of Jesse's Roswell activities. Eventually despite early statements and disagreements they stood behind dear old dad like any loyal family member would. Not hard to put 2 and 2 together there. Not Dahl's children Considering the reactions, it strikes me that if one case of MIB was ever true, this would have to qualify as best candidate. It might mean nothing, too. But the wife pulling a knife was the first strange thing I noticed in this family unit. They were not ever divorced, they do not seem to have had personal problems that would result in such animosity. I do not believe the Military Issue Death threats, but do not hold the same confidence with CIA. And they would do a stupid experiment that put lives in danger. How they manage to keep the doors open continually amazes me. The people who funded the men who stare at goats.

The debris was considered ordinary aluminium on sight but as far as I know was never tested, and it held a square rivet. More likely to be earthly in origin I admit. Being square does not by any means ET. But all the same it is odd, and not explained. Just another strange thing to add. Perhaps no connection to ET, but like Cash Landrum, it could have been some sort of military experiment that is being covered up for the sake of money. Even perhaps embarrassment, but then again who knows. the ETHer's always say just one has to be true. I doubt that is the case at all, who knows maybe it is and this is it. Sounds more like wishful thinking to be honest, but their exuberance for this to be ET I feel left too many questions unanswered and stole any credibility the story had. It's the most underrated claim in UFOlogy IMHO and definitely is not entirely explained. I feel analysis of the hoax claim, which was later retracted, was solely based on one mans credibility, whilst completely ignoring the other. The claims from the siblings that it never happened were long after the incident, however this puts a huge fly in the ointment, and I feel a reason why many do not go past Crisman. It's also why The Source is probably right, and as long as those statements exist, they cannot be denied, believe them or not. It does not mean all of the hard questions have been answered though.

And I am sure you have more to add to this. As you say timing. And something about pilots and debris ;) This happens, next thing the Roswell Incident initiates a saucer frenzy, all around the same time the Twining Memo suggests a covert study in UFO's. This incident may not have happened, it may not be ET, but I do not think focusing on Crispin is a thorough and valid study to result in a firm conclusion. After all, he never even claimed to have been part of the incident. But no matter how you look at it, as the first instance of MIB, it is historically significant with regards to the subject overall be it hoax, or other.

Good to see another notice the interesting angles without being drowned out by ET or Hoax. The subtleties of the incident make it quite a mystery as opposed to a big shiny UFO.

Cheers Mate.

Gidday mate,

great to see you put on the boots again for this :)

many great points including one i hadn't really figured out.....why the son and daughter denied it! I think you put on interesting scenario forward here that merits more investigation.

I had looked at the knife attack and found it incredibly strange and like you say it makes no sense to be suggest these are actions of an embaressed wife.

The timing is indeed very significant and there may even be some scope at looking at connections to the LS theory involving Roswell and Psyops?!?!? but will wait before getting to that complicated aspect/theory.

I really want to peel it right back to the who and why, if its to be a hoax. I also want to go back to the very start and find out more info on the two crew members, then I can move through the story a bit at a time....

will be back soon, lets see what we can dig up.

thanks for joining in.

:tu:

oh and the MIB aspect...this will follow soon after I look into the crew members.

thanks for the links, however can you sum up some key points that make you say 'hoax/garbage' please (include who started it and why?)

I think the fact that Dahls son who was allegedly there denied it happened,him and his sister also said no family pet was killed.Dahl himself couldn't make up his mind about the incident,changing his story and denying it happened.The debris was terrestrial.

The incident wasn't reported to the police

Ray Palmer gave Arnold a tidy sum to go investigate the matter so he could print an article on the case after being contacted by Crisman (not Dahl who was supposedly there)

Crisman as a person had no credibility,remember this is a guy who claimed a Dero encounter in the army

Those are the main bones of contention for me.

I think the fact that Dahls son who was allegedly there denied it happened,him and his sister also said no family pet was killed.

see Psyches post regarding this aspect....its very good and valid.

Dahl himself couldn't make up his mind about the incident,changing his story and denying it happened.The debris was terrestrial.

hmm, I dont see where he has changed stories or where he has denied it happened. Or any tests carried out to ascertain terrestrial debris

ok not sure what this proves though

Ray Palmer gave Arnold a tidy sum to go investigate the matter so he could print an article on the case after being contacted by Crisman (not Dahl who was supposedly there)

again not sure what this proves, also wasnt the sum paid for the investigation not the article?

Crisman as a person had no credibility,remember this is a guy who claimed a Dero encounter in the army

credibility is sure suspect, but what about Dahl and the other people involved?

quite fragile IMO

also who instigated the hoax and why?

• Like 1

In my opinion the hoax was instigated by Crisman because he was a total fantasist who liked to involve himself in mysteries.If you had an encounter like Dahl had who would you contact police or Ray Palmer science fiction publisher? .Sorry the reference to Arnold being asked to investigate was because I had misread one of your earlier points.

I would like to be convinced by this incident but much like Aztec,discredited UFO tales are now being touted as fact and the evidence imo seems to point in the other direction.I don't agree with Kevin Randle about Roswell but he is a thorough investigator and I'm with him on this

• Like 1

Hello Source, yes I was pointed to it by a friend.....a devout sceptic :) who doesnt buy the hoax story...that in itself spoke volumes to me.

There are certain aspects of the story (which I'll get to shortly) that trouble me about the validity of some of the claims.

they were in the hotel for four hours, plenty of time to do the deed especially as it would have been the best time....investigatin happening, AF involved......(if the men in black is to be believed)

The problem I have here is that Dahl had to be pressed into showing the alleged photographs. At the time this took place, people were coming forward with photographs of everything from blurry lights to obvious models hanging on a string. If Dahl had really wanted to substantiate his claims he would have presented the pictures almost immediately, poor quality or not. I just find it a little too convenient that they should be stolen when he finally decided to show them.

As for the MIB, I'll get to them as well.

the debris consisted of both black lava type material and many sheets of 'newspaper thick' metal. As for Kenneth Arnold he found it interesting enough to get the AF to fly down and see (rather than send samples up) and still discussed the case many years later. I have seen articles playing down his interest but the facts dont support this as far as I have seen

This is one of the aspects that I referred to earlier. I have read about this case in books and articles since the mid 1960's and have never seen mention of any of the thin metal being collected by anyone. One would think that the mysterious "newspaper thick metal" would be a far more impressive sample than ordinary looking chunks of slag. Even in the intervening years all that is mentioned is the slag-like material.

according to the AF who said he admitted a hoax. FBI agent George Wilcox said that Dahl did not admit a hoax but said if questioned he would say it was a hoax to avoid trouble. As for the hoax theory who instigated it and why? (I will then show you the problems I have with this theory)

This is difficult to research since there's so many conflicting accounts without any paperwork to back it up. One claim by Kevin Randle (and yes, I know how you feel about him) is that Dahl and Crisman had sent a piece of ordinary slag to Palmer as a joke, and the whole thing backfired on them when the investigation began.

An interesting tidbit I've read about from several sources: When Dahl and Crisman first met Kenneth Arnold they claimed to be harbor patrolmen, which they definitely were not. If that's true, then it doesn't bode well for the rest of their story.

two big coincidences coupled with the reporter (Paul Lance) who died mysteriously after two weeks and Ted Morello also, and the fact that Arnold was now investigating UFO's, the Roswell incident happening, the change in the AF/Army etc happening on the following day, Dahl dissapearing.

As far as I could dig up with limited research, the pathologists who studied Paul Lance's body could not determine a cause of death. Unfortunately that means that this part of the case is simply unexplained.

Unless I misunderstood you, Ted Morello survived until 2007, when he died of a stroke at the age of 88. The theory (admittedly it's only a theory) is that the mysterious informant who kept phoning him (Morello) was Crisman, who was present during the meetings.

The rest needs to be looked at individually to determine if further correlations to this case exist.

question for you: did the two AF intellignece guys investigate UFOs already?

I don't know. All I can say is that I haven't come across any info whether they had investigated UFOs prior to this case or not.

yes I agree there is more to the story, however I think it blows holes in the hoax theory rather than support it.

1- I would like to know who the other two crew members were that were on the boat with Dahl.

2- I would like to see the original letter sent to Palmer.

3- I would like to know why Arnold is claimed to have been uninterested yet brings in the two intellignece guys and speaks about thecase many years later.

4- I would like to know why Ray Palmer who increased circulation due to his story was fired soon after

5- I would like to know who instigate the hoax and why. (and how this motive was achieved)

plus a few other things :)

1- Here is another aspect that has muddied the waters on this case. Some sources say there was only one other crew member, while others say there were two.

2- I agree that that would be an interesting discovery (providing that it was proven authentic).

3- Yet again there's some confusion. I've always read that Arnold was very interested in this case from the beginning.

4- Admittedly I haven't done much research on this point, but I'm not sure which publication you're referring to. Palmer was instrumental in starting a number of various paranormal magazines.

5- I would assume it would have been Dahl and Crisman who concocted the story. One very likely reason would be to get money for their story, in the same way Shaver was paid for his Deros fantasy (another can-o-worms).

As for the MIB reports, I don't really see any mystery there. The US government had already become interested in unexplained aerial phenomena since WWII, worried that UFOs may be secret aircraft being built by a foreign (and potentially aggressive) country. Given the time period, field agents wouldn't be too concerned with how they came across to anyone they were investigating.

• Like 2

Put a topless lady in it. I'll pay to see it then.

Heck, they made a movie out of Travis Waltons dreary tale, ever seen the movie? If not stock up on no-doze first. Can't be worse than that.

Hey psyche! How have you been you wise old man? It's good to see you again (both literally and figuratively). :yes:

I'm glad you brought this old case up with quillius. It's really refreshing to finally discuss a subject in a civil and intelligent manner (peanut gallery excluded). :tu::w00t:

• Like 3

I think the fact that Dahls son who was allegedly there denied it happened,him and his sister also said no family pet was killed.Dahl himself couldn't make up his mind about the incident,changing his story and denying it happened.The debris was terrestrial.

Hi Dr No

Hope you do not mind me joining in here.

To the best of my knowledge, Dahl did retract the denial saying he was coerced to do so, but the story if it being an earthly craft cam again from Crispin, not Dahl. Whilst we do not have the results of the debris analysis, if the story was genuine, it would not necessarily be extra terrestrial, according to the claim, one of the craft landed, and the damaged donut was spewing heated material and landed on a beach, slag would more likely be the result of the crafts actions and malfunction affecting the environment as opposed to a bit of flying saucer.

But Dahl did report it to Crisman, who owned the boat and was purportedly upset at the prospect of damage, it would be Crisman's prerogative to contact anyone, not the claimants.

Again, this was not initiated by either claimant, but by a third party - Ray Palmer. This is where Shaver and the Underground entities emerge.

I am not sure why invoking Kenneth Arnold is a problem, he was a skeptic, and wrote a letter to the Government asking them to come clean on black op's, and attributed his own sighting to earthly black programs. His softer approach to the UFO phenomena developed at a much later stage. He would not have been of any assistance to a hoax in any way that I can see.

Indeed, however he is a third party, and not connected to the actual sighting, more someone who saw the opportunity of turning an odd story into cash.

The main one I agree with is the children's testimony, disregarding circumstance, it cannot be denied, but still offers it's own questions, like why would Dahl Say his son was there in the first instance if they were dysfunctional enough to pull weapons on each other? Again, I feel the actions described a genuine fear.

• Like 2

Hey psyche! How have you been you wise old man? It's good to see you again (both literally and figuratively). :yes:

I'm glad you brought this old case up with quillius. It's really refreshing to finally discuss a subject in a civil and intelligent manner (peanut gallery excluded). :tu::w00t:

Hi Pal

Cheers bro, the surgery went well I take it? Sorry mate, been giving myself a present of peanut gallery free reading of late. The noobish woo woo train gets a bit much at times. Not been around much.

Thanks mate, I think the woo woo train sent an interesting story of the tracks I think, but as I keep blabbing on about, I feel this case is significant as a milestone of UFOlogy with regards to intimidation claims. I believe they are bogus, and this seems to be the earliest mention of a man in black, I wonder if some chinese whispers between MIB and Military claims resulted in the intimidation claims.

I also think it is a good example of how UFOlogy uses half information to contrive the explanation they want. This one seems a good example for the woo woo crowd to try to convince others that they deploy a critical thinking process and can be "skeptical", I feel this case illustrates the opposite. Heck, if UFOlogy thinks this is a hoax there just might be something to it! Present peanut gallery members excluded of course, who thinks banana powered pyramids are proof of ET.

It will be good to tear this into little pieces and see how the UFOlogists managed to put it together to begin with as a hoax, and how genuine that conclusion actually is.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Good to see our psyche101 back on duty ! As for the Maury Island UFO I too would love to see the factual information on this without the Glossy stuff ! :tu: justDONTEATUS

• Like 2

Good to see our psyche101 back on duty ! As for the Maury Island UFO I too would love to see the factual information on this without the Glossy stuff ! :tu: justDONTEATUS

Gidday Mate

I could not leave Q alone with it after I mentioned it to him. That would be just rude :D I agree, an interesting case, and much dust to clear.

Cheers.

• Like 1

In my opinion the hoax was instigated by Crisman because he was a total fantasist who liked to involve himself in mysteries.If you had an encounter like Dahl had who would you contact police or Ray Palmer science fiction publisher? .Sorry the reference to Arnold being asked to investigate was because I had misread one of your earlier points.

I would like to be convinced by this incident but much like Aztec,discredited UFO tales are now being touted as fact and the evidence imo seems to point in the other direction.I don't agree with Kevin Randle about Roswell but he is a thorough investigator and I'm with him on this

Hi Dr No

Rather than look at this as proof of ET, I think we should just see if Dahl can be substantiated, and why the strange circumstances surrounding the case, and why these seemingly half explanation satisfy the blood lust of the woo woo train. That alone is a bit freaky. Dahl never said it was Alien, or that he saw an Alien, just that he did not recognise the craft and it was dangerous, as was the craft in the Cash Landrum incident, which I also feel has nothing to do with ET, but very likely the USAF.

If any sort of reason for believing any sort of craft actually was involved can be in any way substantiated, then I think it would be time to go to the next level, and try to determine what it might be, if indeed it existed at all.

I have to agree with Q, a great many things do not add up, but personally, I do not see why such simple explanations satisfy ETH'ers. Far more sound explanations have been put forth on other cases with proof positive that is flatly denied, what is special here? Ruppelt perhaps?

Edited by psyche101

Gidday mate,

great to see you put on the boots again for this :)

many great points including one i hadn't really figured out.....why the son and daughter denied it! I think you put on interesting scenario forward here that merits more investigation.

I had looked at the knife attack and found it incredibly strange and like you say it makes no sense to be suggest these are actions of an embaressed wife.

The timing is indeed very significant and there may even be some scope at looking at connections to the LS theory involving Roswell and Psyops?!?!? but will wait before getting to that complicated aspect/theory.

I really want to peel it right back to the who and why, if its to be a hoax. I also want to go back to the very start and find out more info on the two crew members, then I can move through the story a bit at a time....

will be back soon, lets see what we can dig up.

thanks for joining in.

:tu:

oh and the MIB aspect...this will follow soon after I look into the crew members.

Cheers mate, thanks for keeping me in the loop as I take a break, I always have enjoyed our conversations, I feel it is going to be great working together on this one, I feel our thoughts are very similar on this one, and between the two of us, hopefully we can dig up something substantial that shows the case to be a bit more interesting than it appears on the surface.

• Like 1