Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could good hygiene cause Alzheimer's?

Still Waters

An obsession with being too clean and hygienic could lead to a higher risk of dementia, researchers have warned.

Their study pinpointed a significant relationship between a nation’s cleanliness and the number of Alzheimer’s patients.

Countries which can afford better sanitation have higher rates of the disease.

http://www.dailymail...eater-risk.html

Hmm. Wonder if this a case of correlation more than causation. Either way, I'm not stopping my daily showers.

• Like 2

Iv always beleived we are creating a culture that will be reliant on hygiene products as our ammune system stops fighting because we are being to clean.

Maybe just higher rates of detection. Some people were so smelly that they couldn't get near enough to figure out their mental state.

Sounds about right to me. Our immune systems have developed over tens of thousands of years to fight, fight, fight... and in the last 100-200 years we have basically short circuited them. I believe I have read studies demonstrating a pretty solid correlative effect between the order of birth and asthma and allergies. The theory was that first borns are protected from too much and thus develop a goofy immune system. Clearly more work needs to be done... but also consider, all our super hygiene of today isn't going to eliminate pathogenic species, it is merely going to push them into more resistant and effective forms

makes me wonder if their may be a link to things that clean .. like scented soaps, or chlorine... or something unexpected.

Iv always beleived we are creating a culture that will be reliant on hygiene products as our ammune system stops fighting because we are being to clean.

Our immune system doesn't stop fighting because we are too clean and that is the problem. If there is nothing to fight our immune system starts to think benign things are pathogens and that causes a lot allergies and autoimmune problems.

makes me wonder if their may be a link to things that clean .. like scented soaps, or chlorine... or something unexpected.

I doubt it would be chlorine or we have had seen an increase earlier. Also, scents are made almost the same way they were over 100 years ago, so I doubt that too. They seem to be saying that a lack of regulatory T-cells is associated with dementia and that would be something that happens very early in development or childhood when most naive T cells are made.