Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The screaming women

qxcontinuum

I was born in Romania Transylvania, a beautiful wild country covered over 60% by forests,rivers and natural landscapes, mountains etc. Every since i was a boy i used to go with my parents and later in childhod with friends in the forests camping and having amazing fun as teenager.

There were two events surfacing now in my memories that scattered my existence and provoking a huge deal amount of fears back then and i cannot forget.

Is the memory of a strange sound like an horrible scream made by a women in two different occasions 800 kilometers and 9 years away by each other.

First i was 10 y/o camping at the shores of the Black Sea with my mom and her boyfriend which was almost a father to me. We were in a camping area with numerous tents around. That night i've heard the scream first time. I could't describe it. It was a mixure of human with animal, like a women desperate scream of Horrification, as well goat, horse, owl,specific sounds but all together very loud and incredible scarry. I thought my heart will stop! I didn't even dare to wake up my mom or o even say something as te sound was very close. In a neighboured tent a dog started to bark like crazy. After a few minutes i've heard the second sound almost idenical but very much dimmed and far. The next morning i mentioned to my mom and her bf. about what i,ve heard but of course they laught on me making jokes. However the owner of the dog came up hearing our discussion backing up my story. He had actualy came up the night before to see the source of the noise and he saw a women screaming and ripping out her hair.

The second encounter was while i was 19 in the mountain camping with my friends. The closest village was about 20 km away and we were camping close to a river in a small valley. During that night i heard the very same sound again but this time less scarrier . However i didn' t dare to come off the tent. I,ve heard clearly a human walking around us on the small path making the scream. It was awful again. Then someone told us in the morning that there is a crazy women living not very far in an abandoned house.

Wondering what could have been, any similar reference heard by experts here?.

Edited by qxcontinuum

Expert? No.

But, when a rabbit is caught and killed their cries can be reminiscent of a human scream. When they suffer their cries often sound like a baby's cry. Quite shocking from an animal that doesn't usually make a sound.

Maybe that's what you heard.

Expert? No.

But, when a rabbit is caught and killed their cries can be reminiscent of a human scream. When they suffer their cries often sound like a baby's cry. Quite shocking from an animal that doesn't usually make a sound.

Maybe that's what you heard.

Just about all rabbits scream when they die ,even from disease or natural causes.

We bunny people have pioneered they why of this for ages .

Its usually just one short burst scream though .Nothing prolonged

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Banshee.

I'd take your neighbors/friends words for it. Frankly I'm a bit surprised that they didn't take the opportunity to freak you out with some kind of banshee tale.

There are no bunnies, or coyots or foxes, not even squirrels in Romanian cities. The first encounter was in a city. The sound was very loud to come from a small animal. Perhaps a large one but i can't think of anything i ever heard.

Edited by qxcontinuum

Well I would say it's probably the crazy woman from the deserted house...

maybe she ha a spooky story or past to her..

There are no bunnies, or coyots or foxes, not even squirrels in Romanian cities. The first encounter was in a city. The sound was very loud to come from a small animal. Perhaps a large one but i can't think of anything i ever heard.

There are no bunnies roaming most any city ,but anyone can bring a bunny into the city and dump it.They get dumped,the hide and have babies.

I live in NYC .We have bunches of bunnies living in parks that shouldnt be there.

I don't think it was a bunny ,but saying there are no bunnies anywhere in the city is probably wrong .

• Like 2

Not in romania. Trust me, there are no bunnies in the parks. Parks there are not like here. Very small surrounded by concrete building all over the place. Excepting birds there are no living creatures the parks. However i know the bunny cry. Is very different than what i've heard. A while i thought to be an owl. Then i've heard owls. There noise was gorgeous compering to that one. It was partially human.

In the same time i remember, there were some stories of a women very hairy, that couldn't talk, seen in the bus or on the streets wondering. Still doesn't explain the second occurrence 800 km away.

Edited by qxcontinuum

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of animals make noise that sounds like human screaming. Seriously, animal screams are bone chilling. The other option is there really is a mentally ill woman living in the woods, and sometimes she has fits I guess.

There is one bird I heard in Southern Oregon that sounds almost like a woman screaming "Heeeeeeellp!" Since its cry is exactly the same every time, people aren't fooled by it for long.

It sounds like the OP isnt open to any other ideas of what it could be

• Like 1

It sounds like the OP isnt open to any other ideas of what it could be

Agreed. For those not experienced with the outdoors, there are many animals that have calls similar to a human scream. One of those in the US is the screech owl. And if I'm not mistaken, there is a European owl that has a similar call. Even something like a fox can have a human-like call during mating season.

BTW, I always chuckle a bit when someone says they were too scared to come out of their tent. And that few millimeters of nylon is going to do what to protect you exactly?

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 1

I was born in Romania Transylvania, a beautiful wild country covered over 60% by forests,rivers and natural landscapes, mountains etc. Every since i was a boy i used to go with my parents and later in childhod with friends in the forests camping and having amazing fun as teenager.

There were two events surfacing now in my memories that scattered my existence and provoking a huge deal amount of fears back then and i cannot forget.

Is the memory of a strange sound like an horrible scream made by a women in two different occasions 800 kilometers and 9 years away by each other.

First i was 10 y/o camping at the shores of the Black Sea with my mom and her boyfriend which was almost a father to me. We were in a camping area with numerous tents around. That night i've heard the scream first time. I could't describe it. It was a mixure of human with animal, like a women desperate scream of Horrification, as well goat, horse, owl,specific sounds but all together very loud and incredible scarry. I thought my heart will stop! I didn't even dare to wake up my mom or o even say something as te sound was very close. In a neighboured tent a dog started to bark like crazy. After a few minutes i've heard the second sound almost idenical but very much dimmed and far. The next morning i mentioned to my mom and her bf. about what i,ve heard but of course they laught on me making jokes. However the owner of the dog came up hearing our discussion backing up my story. He had actualy came up the night before to see the source of the noise and he saw a women screaming and ripping out her hair.

The second encounter was while i was 19 in the mountain camping with my friends. The closest village was about 20 km away and we were camping close to a river in a small valley. During that night i heard the very same sound again but this time less scarrier . However i didn' t dare to come off the tent. I,ve heard clearly a human walking around us on the small path making the scream. It was awful again. Then someone told us in the morning that there is a crazy women living not very far in an abandoned house.

Wondering what could have been, any similar reference heard by experts here?.

Not in romania. Trust me, there are no bunnies in the parks. Parks there are not like here. Very small surrounded by concrete building all over the place. Excepting birds there are no living creatures the parks. However i know the bunny cry. Is very different than what i've heard. A while i thought to be an owl. Then i've heard owls. There noise was gorgeous compering to that one. It was partially human.

In the same time i remember, there were some stories of a women very hairy, that couldn't talk, seen in the bus or on the streets wondering. Still doesn't explain the second occurrence 800 km away.

Wait.. I'm confused. In the first quote, you said the first encounter was camping on the shores of the Black Sea with numerous tents around. In the second quote you said the first encounter was in the city, very small and surrounded by buildings is how parks are described in your third quote. So where was the first encounter?

Edited by rashore

• 2 weeks later...

First encounter was at the shores of the Black Sea in a camping setting called Medusa (jelly fish) city named Eforie Nord. Around the camping site there were hotels, private houses, roads, etc less parks.. Maybe just a few trees around. Around that time like now otherwise there was the politics of the previous communistic regime that everything must be surrounded by as much concrete is possible, smooth solid, nicely brushed with less natural maintenance required off "pollutants " such as trees or bushes or grass, etc....

I was young 10 years older and not brave enough to go out to see the source of this terrific noise. Also please note that this was a women saw by the neighboured tent occupant. In the same time the dog was barking like crazy. Dogs don't bark at wild life creatures if any. Excepting when they are feeling threaten.

Edited by qxcontinuum

it's amazing, just found on this forum two threads about something similar

it seems to be La Llorona

Edited by qxcontinuum

it's amazing, just found on this forum two threads about something similar

it seems to be La Llorona

But the "La Llorona" legend is on Mexican/U.S. Border [mainly Texas] where a mother falls in love with a American citizen and one day something happens and this makes her go off the deep end. Where she murdered her children by the drowning and goes to the man to show him what she had done. This causes the man to reject her and reality sets in for the mother and she tries to find her children. There is a curse upon her where she looks for them all eternity with the head of a horse.

Is there any legends/rumors around The Black Sea?

Edited by Princess Serenity

I dunno. Sooner i've learned about la llorono and the spanish description, behaviours and cry, my mind ran to the sound i've once heard that i will never forget and the story i will always remember. Although it is really distorted in my mind , i would never forget the horror i felt many years after it. It was the most terrifying experience of my life and i was having near death experiences that left me unimpressed like that one.

Edited by qxcontinuum

I dunno. Sooner i've learned about la llorono and the spanish description, behaviours and cry, my mind ran to the sound i've once heard that i will never forget and the story i will always remember. Although it is really distorted in my mind , i would never forget the horror i felt many years after it. It was the most terrifying experience of my life and i was having near death experiences that left me unimpressed like that one.

A lot of cultures have legends regarding screaming/crying women. One of the more famous being Ireland's banshee. Some versions have the Banshee being an ancestor that comes from beyond and wails to signify a death will come in the family.

Given that there were places near bye where people could have been.

My theory would be that the screaming woman you heard was just that.

A screaming woman.

Given that there were places near bye where people could have been.

My theory would be that the screaming woman you heard was just that.

A screaming woman.

I am always laughing when some are justifying the unexplainable invoking some common possibilities ;

i've heard suppositions so far on this thread about bunnies, cats, alcoholics and now just a regular women. :-)

Well, if regular women can scream like that, nobody would marry them and all the men would just climb up in the trees and digging holes in the ground hiding if resisting to a heart attack first. I am not sure about which part of NON HUMAN, terrifying, unusual loud , part of my encounter wasn't understood. It was out of this world and out of everything you'll hear in the nature or society. I used to go in the mountains with my father while he was climbing. I could say he was a man of wilderness. I've heard all the animals back then..

Edited by qxcontinuum