Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

GMO should be labeled if not banned

Big Bad Voodoo

Why?

"If I had the choice I would certainly not eat it (GMO)…I find it's very unfair to use our fellow citizens as guinea pigs". Arpad Pusztai

Árpád Pusztai (8 September 1930) is a Hungarian-born biochemist and nutritionist who spent 36 years at the Rowett Research Institute in Aberdeen, Scotland. He is a world expert on plant lectins, authoring 270 papers and three books on the subject. In 1998 Pusztai publicly announced that the results of his research showed feeding genetically modified potatoes to rats had negative effects on their stomach lining and immune system. This led to Pusztai being suspended and his annual contract was not renewed. The resulting controversy became known as the Pusztai affair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81rp%C3%A1d_Pusztai

I dont see why GM food isnt labeled.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Still Waters
Added source link

Says the man who goes to bed with a full belly every evening.

Show me one GMO food product where the amount harvested is greater than the previous amounts of convetional products.

The only thing that has changed is that the farmer has one work cycle less: the mechanical removal of weeds between the crop.

• Like 3

Show me one GMO food product where the amount harvested is greater than the previous amounts of convetional products.

The only thing that has changed is that the farmer has one work cycle less: the mechanical removal of weeds between the crop.

Corn for, example:
Both are important, and GE has had limited success in enhancing operational yield by reducing losses caused by insect pests.
(link)

Right, they stop insects from eating the corn by making it toxic to them. Yea thats something we should all be eating.

• Like 5

I'm not a fan of GMO by any stretch. If we aren't going to ban it we should at least have it labeled. Organic is labeled, various food additives are labeled.. though not enough of the processing agents are labeled IMO. So yeah, GMO/GE should be labeled too. A lot of people are already far too unaware of what they are eating, and I think there should be more transparency to all food operations.

• Like 5

Right, they stop insects from eating the corn by making it toxic to them. Yea thats something we should all be eating.

Here is the bit you have to read: Dietary pesticides.

Do you want to eat natural carcinogens, clastogens, etc?

Why pests in nature eat this, but not that? Cause that would kill them. And you are eating natural products that would kill some pests.

I'm not a fan of GMO by any stretch. If we aren't going to ban it we should at least have it labeled. Organic is labeled, various food additives are labeled.. though not enough of the processing agents are labeled IMO. So yeah, GMO/GE should be labeled too. A lot of people are already far too unaware of what they are eating, and I think there should be more transparency to all food operations.

Organic isn't so much labeled, as it's advertised. You don't have to prove something is organic before marking something organic.

All people (and their relatives) working on GMOs are eating the same "GMO infested" food (without labeling they don't know what is what), hence they are trying to make it safe. What labeling would solve? And organic labeling? Its just to empty your pocket... Ask 31 dead Germans whether they died with smiles on their faces knowing it didn't came from non-organic farm...

BTW, I don't give a rats munch about E free labeling, same poo, just on the other shoe...

Somehow I knew using the term organic wouldn't go over well, but it is indeed a label that is used. I'm serious though that I think foods should be completely labeled- like animal products should have listed what chemicals and feeds are used, and not just as advertising. If meat is rinsed in a chemical to make it safer to eat, that should be listed. There are guidelines in some processed foods that allow for a certain percentage of "other" like insect parts or mouse droppings, that should be labeled. Heck, if I had my way about it, your can of corn would have the variety of corn in the label, or your bag of baby spinach would list the variety too. The waxes used on some produce should be noted either on the sign or on the sticker.

There's a lot of hidden things in commercial foods that I'm not too thrilled about and really wish was made clearer to the consumer.

I'm not a fan of GMO/GE. but so what? Some people don't care too. Sure I would like it if it wasn't used at all, but since it is, I would really prefer it to be on the label. That way people who care about it or not can at least make an informed decision.

And the E. coli outbreak... That's another huge problem I have with the commercial food industry. Lack of testing, or sometimes when there is testing, a food producer chooses to take the chance that, well, maybe a few people might get sick, and maybe there might be legal repercussions, but they still sell the product because the sales might actually exceed any fiscal trouble they get into. And sometimes it's just unnecessary crappy farming practices that really shouldn't be happening.

Somehow I knew using the term organic wouldn't go over well, but it is indeed a label that is used.

Do you understand the reason it doesn't go over well is because it's a marketing tool and doesn't really reflect true "organic" farming?

• Like 1

Wonderfully said.

Big Bad Voodoo

Somehow I knew using the term organic wouldn't go over well, but it is indeed a label that is used. I'm serious though that I think foods should be completely labeled- like animal products should have listed what chemicals and feeds are used, and not just as advertising. If meat is rinsed in a chemical to make it safer to eat, that should be listed. There are guidelines in some processed foods that allow for a certain percentage of "other" like insect parts or mouse droppings, that should be labeled. Heck, if I had my way about it, your can of corn would have the variety of corn in the label, or your bag of baby spinach would list the variety too. The waxes used on some produce should be noted either on the sign or on the sticker.

There's a lot of hidden things in commercial foods that I'm not too thrilled about and really wish was made clearer to the consumer.

I'm not a fan of GMO/GE. but so what? Some people don't care too. Sure I would like it if it wasn't used at all, but since it is, I would really prefer it to be on the label. That way people who care about it or not can at least make an informed decision.

And the E. coli outbreak... That's another huge problem I have with the commercial food industry. Lack of testing, or sometimes when there is testing, a food producer chooses to take the chance that, well, maybe a few people might get sick, and maybe there might be legal repercussions, but they still sell the product because the sales might actually exceed any fiscal trouble they get into. And sometimes it's just unnecessary crappy farming practices that really shouldn't be happening.

Not that Im not fan. Im against it.

French scientists got one result. Arpad same. Poles same. Yet only USA and UK scientists got different results.

Well gravity can be messured everywhere. Not just in USA.

Big Bad Voodoo

Do you understand the reason it doesn't go over well is because it's a marketing tool and doesn't really reflect true "organic" farming?

Yep, absolutely. I have an organic yard and some of the organic stuff really irritates me as much as some of the GMO/GE stuff does. But since the thread is about GMO/GE and not organic, I didn't want to get too into my frustration about that. I was merely using it as an example of a label currently being used. Other labels that are used that frustrate me are ones that refer to fat content, reduced salt or sugar, sugar free, "real" food product X being advertised... Most of those can be misleading too. So can serving size amounts listed on some food packaging. One of my top pet peeves in food right now is Kobe beef, but this thread is really not the place for that horrid scam.

I wish a lot of commercial food action was more transparent, and I think GMO/GE should indeed be included in that.

• Like 1

Gdammit... I'm just about to press Post... all is gone ..

Lets try again

Somehow I knew using the term organic wouldn't go over well, but it is indeed a label that is used. I'm serious though that I think foods should be completely labeled- like animal products should have listed what chemicals and feeds are used, and not just as advertising. If meat is rinsed in a chemical to make it safer to eat, that should be listed. [...]

Our ancestors smoked meat without giving rats munch about carcinogens, and what? If they would've started to ask same questions, and apply precautionary principle back then, we (me/you) would be extinct.

[...] There are guidelines in some processed foods that allow for a certain percentage of "other" like insect parts or mouse droppings[...]

Have you seen such labels? No? You do realize, that you are wearing poo material on your daily clothes? With all consequecies...

[...]Heck, if I had my way about it, your can of corn would have the variety of corn in the label, or your bag of baby spinach would list the variety too. [...]

How you imagine single mills suited for particular variety of corn/wheat/rye around the country?

[...] I would really prefer it to be on the label. [...]

Simple, don't buy products with corn and corn derivatives. Is corn labeled as ingredient?

[...] And the E. coli outbreak... That's another huge problem I have with the commercial food industry. Lack of testing, or sometimes when there is testing, a food producer chooses to take the chance that, well, maybe a few people might get sick, and maybe there might be legal repercussions, but they still sell the product because the sales might actually exceed any fiscal trouble they get into. And sometimes it's just unnecessary crappy farming practices that really shouldn't be happening.

Wait, wait, wait... What testing do you expect from organics? What varieties they are growing (should be labeled)? And all natural substances harmfull to human consumption (should be labeled)?

Corn for, example:

(link)

Nice twisting yet once again, I was not talking about operational yields (or money earned), which would be evident having one less task to power I was talking about more food.

But it seems that it is easier to get water from a pebble than a straight and truthful answer from you.

• Like 2

Nice twisting yet once again, I was not talking about operational yields (or money earned), which would be evident having one less task to power I was talking about more food.

But it seems that it is easier to get water from a pebble than a straight and truthful answer from you.

Ok, lets clear things here. What is operational yield? And what is intrinsic yield? You can explain these simple terms to ignoramuses, don't you? With references, please.

Gdammit... I'm just about to press Post... all is gone ..

Lets try again

Our ancestors smoked meat without giving rats munch about carcinogens, and what? If they would've started to ask same questions, and apply precautionary principle back then, we (me/you) would be extinct.

Yes, but at one time our ancestors processed food to share with the local group.. and then to trade with other groups, and at the time, farming and processing methods were quite similar no matter where one went. Now we are at a point where foods come from many sources with many different farming and processing methods. It would be nice to have that information readily available on labels, and labels not to be misleading.

Have you seen such labels? No? You do realize, that you are wearing poo material on your daily clothes? With all consequences...

Nope, never seen any such labels. Of course not, if labels included a percentage of "other" and what that other might be, processors would seriously lose profit. And I really wish it were included- I've worked a few "behind the scenes" food jobs, and I don't eat some stuff now because of that. The only reason why I know about "other" percentages is because of working those jobs, I think the general public should be more informed about that.

Yes, I do know I got poo on me all the time. Beyond regular poo, I work with manures regularly.

How you imagine single mills suited for particular variety of corn/wheat/rye around the country?

I can't imagine any such thing. It just isn't feasible considering commercial operations. But it sure would be nice if labels could include varieties on the package. And in some ways, such labeling is already feasible. Like companies that include the label of nut products used in the facility for people with nut allergies, or labeling wheat allergies. I would hope it wouldn't be too far fetched to include GMO grain or not processed at the facility.

Simple, don't buy products with corn and corn derivatives. Is corn labeled as ingredient?

That's simple for some people. For a lot of people, they just don't realize what is in their food. That's why I think clear labeling of everything is good.

Wait, wait, wait... What testing do you expect from organics? What varieties they are growing (should be labeled)? And all natural substances harmfull to human consumption (should be labeled)?

I don't expect anything considering current standards. But I would like to see the same level of testing from ALL commercial farming and processing practices, organic and non-organic. Varieties listed would be wonderful. Substances natural and not, harmful and not would be wonderful too. Anything added to seed, farming, or processing practice.

I wish I was good with the multiquote.. Or other editing stuff. Sorry I only italic response instead of full quoting.

Edit: got more to say, but I just am finding myself too full of words and editing too much.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 1

GMO food causes cancer, server cancers. food should not be altered in any way. The reason is to keep monsanto in business. Make the seed grow then die and the farmer going to monsanto for more seed, keep the system in power.

GMO food causes cancer, server cancers. food should not be altered in any way. The reason is to keep monsanto in business. Make the seed grow then die and the farmer going to monsanto for more seed, keep the system in power.

Gotta say... Provide some clinical backup that GMO food causes cancer. Not trying to confirm or deny your statement, just that with a statement like that, backup should be provided.

I can't agree with you that food should not be altered in any way- most people cannot really eat a completely home grown and raw diet. I do think that alterations should be clearly labeled for all consumers. GMO alterations should absolutely be labeled.

And it's more than just Monsanto doing GMO, there are other companies doing it too. Just seems like other companies keep more below the radar and are less flagrant about protestable activities than Monsanto is.

Gotta say... Provide some clinical backup that GMO food causes cancer. Not trying to confirm or deny your statement, just that with a statement like that, backup should be provided.

I can't agree with you that food should not be altered in any way- most people cannot really eat a completely home grown and raw diet. I do think that alterations should be clearly labeled for all consumers. GMO alterations should absolutely be labeled.

And it's more than just Monsanto doing GMO, there are other companies doing it too. Just seems like other companies keep more below the radar and are less flagrant about protestable activities than Monsanto is.

French prooved as I remember.

Big Bad Voodoo

Label it, yes. Ban it? Why the hell do we need more people telling us what we can and cannot do? If I want to eat something I will. Just like I smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol. My choice, I know what they do.

Label it, yes. Ban it? Why the hell do we need more people telling us what we can and cannot do? If I want to eat something I will. Just like I smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol. My choice, I know what they do.

There is no need to ban it. If it was labled they might as well put a skull and cross bones on it.

In GB they have to lable GMO's. Someone on my old face book acount took a pic of the lable on a box of kraft mac and cheese. They use GMO wheat to make the macaroni. And the warning on the lable said that it harmed childrens ability to pay attention to things. That is striaght freaking evil. If 0bama is worried about children being posioned like in Syria, then he should be bombing monsatan to the ground.

Warning #1: This Product May Cause Adverse Effects On Activity And Attention In Children (This warning label is required because The US version of Kraft Mac & Cheese has artificial food dyes yellow #5 and yellow #6 which are proven to be linked to hyperactivity in children.)

Warning #2: GMO Declaration: Made from genetically modified wheat. (May contain GMO) (This warning label is required because the US version of Kraft Mac & Cheese contains GMOs.)

Kraft-Mac-spelled-correctly-2-with-arrows.jpg

There was quite a bit of speculation about this label last week. Many people on the internet questioned if it was real and where it came from. According to the report in the NY Times, in video evidence I posted, and in two other videos

and here, we can now conclude the following:
  • The NY Times verified that this is in fact a real label on US Kraft Mac & Cheese sold in the UK.
  • We know that Kraft does not label, distribute or export the US version of Mac & Cheese officially. (To echo my quote in The NY Times, I find it extremely bizarre that Kraft had no knowledge of their products being sold and widely available in one of the largest retailers in the world (Tesco) and are trying to pass this off as a black market supply.)

Edit to add link

http://foodbabe.com/...-warning-label/

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1