Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia: "Britain just a small island"

Big Bad Voodoo

Britain? It's just a small island no-one pays any attention to

Vladimir Putin mocked the UK's size and influence on the world stage

Government spokesman boasts that Soviet oligarchs had 'bought Chelsea'

G20 summit descends into acrimony over military strikes on Syria

Chancellor George Osborne insists Britain is still 'setting the agenda'

http://www.dailymail...ck-Britain.html

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

war propaganda

plain and simple

other thread talking about it...

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=254125

to clarify... I mean it is the British newspapers indulging in war propaganda....

You mean anti war propaganda? I was under impression that Russians are against war while British are for attack on Syria?

I could be disinformed.

Big Bad Voodoo

People do pay attention to the UK. Plenty want to emmigrate to the UK, and many many more emulate British tastes, and not just in the ex Empire countries. I think people have been paying attention to Britain since Elisabeth I, though I think historians in the future may say that Britain's time was encapsulated between the two Elisabeth's. Even so, Britain has made a huge impact on world history and that cannot be overlooked. Perhaps it is best to ask countries like Poland, Croatia, Bosnia, Sierra Leone and many others about Britain, and not the old enemies, though of course Britain is popular with Japan, and I know from personal experience that generaly the German people also have no problem. It's sometimes a matter of embarresment that the feelings are not so much reciprocated from the British side, particulary the media. So I think the OP is wrong, at the moment.

• Like 4

People do pay attention to the UK. Plenty want to emmigrate to the UK, and many many more emulate British tastes, and not just in the ex Empire countries. I think people have been paying attention to Britain since Elisabeth I, though I think historians in the future may say that Britain's time was encapsulated between the two Elisabeth's. Even so, Britain has made a huge impact on world history and that cannot be overlooked. Perhaps it is best to ask countries like Poland, Croatia, Bosnia, Sierra Leone and many others about Britain, and not the old enemies, though of course Britain is popular with Japan, and I know from personal experience that generaly the German people also have no problem. It's sometimes a matter of embarresment that the feelings are not so much reciprocated from the British side, particulary the media. So I think the OP is wrong, at the moment.

Thats history.

Also I dont know what should we ask Croatia about Britain.

I dont think your goverment is very popular in Croatia. In fact many dont like your goverment while they like people, landscape, language, customs, football, music, beers...For obvious reason. UK was against Croatia during indenpendence war. Not because your goverment have something special against Croatia but because your governement have allies Serbs, with whom Croatia have had war. But USA choose Croatia side for also obvious reasons.

Your impact on Croatia was melted. ;) And crushed by your own allies-USA and will of Croats.

Thankfully. You simply choose wrong allies. You should look to France who also abandon Serbs and seek in Croatia for regional allies.

Same as Germany, Japan, USA etc.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

and long may we remain a small island. just think what we've achieved as a small Island, now imagine what we would have achieved if we was a tiny island, wow. scary stuff.

• Like 4

and long may we remain a small island. just think what we've achieved as a small Island, now imagine what we would have achieved if we was a tiny island, wow. scary stuff.

No one say word about your historical achivements. British empire was great empire. With own problems as slavery and racial thought. But also bunch of positive things. Anyway, thats history. It is amazing. But what about now? Are Russians right? Brazil, Russia, India, China, Japan, Germany, USA are powers. I also think that British loose power. UK is factor. No doubt. But not as they used to be.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

My country is bigger than your country.... and my dad can fight your dad and he'll win!

Obama and Putin had to be sat at opposite ends of the table? Seriously..... sounds like a school ground fight!!

• Like 1

God bless her; long may there be an England!

• Like 5

Thats history.

I dont think your goverment is very popular in Croatia. In fact many dont like your goverment while they like people, landscape, language, customs, football, music, beers...For obvious reason. UK was against Croatia during indenpendence war. Not because your goverment have something special against Croatia but because your governement have allies Serbs, with whom Croatia have had war. But USA choose Croatia side for also obvious reasons.

Your impact on Croatia was melted. ;) And crushed by your own allies-USA and will of Croats.

Thankfully. You simply choose wrong allies. You should look to France who also abandon Serbs and seek in Croatia for regional allies.

Big Bad Voodoo

Last time I checked Britain was not an ally of Serbia and never have been. Perhaps you should ask the British troops who served in Bosnia and Kosovo about this. And you seem to be a Russian supporting Croat, so I think a dialogue between you and Helen of Annoy would be entertaining, particulary as it's been rather quite around here of late.

Edited by Kaa-Tzik
  • Like 3

No one say word about your historical achivements. British empire was great empire. With own problems as slavery and racial thought. But also bunch of positive things. Anyway, thats history. It is amazing. But what about now? Are Russians right? Brazil, Russia, India, China, Japan, Germany, USA are powers. I also think that British loose power. UK is factor. No doubt. But not as they used to be.

Big Bad Voodoo

Britain has always been a small Island, but that didn't stop us forging one of the largest empires ever. The size of our land mass doesn't matter. We have more than 60 million people living here. We still have 54 member states of the commonwealth (pop. over 2 billion), the best trained military in the world and one of the worlds largest nuclear arsenals. Britain is still relevant. Edited by tyrant lizard
  • Like 3

Thats history.

Big Bad Voodoo

First, Putin is a dushbag.

Second, Britain might be small compared to russia but as they say, it is not the size, its how you use it. I love Britain, love the people, the history, most of all the old pubs.

But, you are right regarding Britains government during the balkan wars. They sided with the serbs. But not the people. They new.

Britain and France, read gevernment, had a good relationship with russia, the main supporter of Milosevic. Both countries sabotaged every attempt of USA to attack the serbian position and end the genozide in Croatia and Bosnia.

That costed C and B dearly. Anyway, I used to be angry about that but not anymore.

• Like 6

For a small island it's had such an major influence on the world and not to mention it had a vast empire!

• Like 3

Last time I checked Britain was not an ally of Serbia and never have been. Perhaps you should ask the British troops who served in Bosnia and Kosovo about this. And you seem to be a Russian supporting Croat, so I think a dialogue between you and Helen of Annoy would be entertaining, particulary as it's been rather quite around here of late.

Well you didnt checked well. Im not Russian supporting anything. I like history of Soviet union and thats it. Also like Boyars. Same as I like Ancient Egypt.

I dont wont to turn this thread into England Balkan thing. But if you desire so I will proove you otherwise.

Holland, Norway, Britain, France, Russia from start of Yugoslavia wars were for Serbs. Later that change because they saw what was realy happening. And because USA, Vatican, Austria, Germany, etc. hold Croatian side. But when British saw that USA choose Croatian interests over UK that was a crucial point when British start to change policy. They knew they lost their plans. They are weak to fight politicly USA and Germany.

About Helen, so far as I debated with her only on two things we dont agree. And those are- origin of Bosniaks and who are rebels in Syria.

On all others we agree 100%. So...I like to focus on positive things. If you focus on negative things you would not have friends.

Big Bad Voodoo

edit: And we debated a lot.

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

First, Putin is a dushbag.

Second, Britain might be small compared to russia but as they say, it is not the size, its how you use it. I love Britain, love the people, the history, most of all the old pubs.

But, you are right regarding Britains government during the balkan wars. They sided with the serbs. But not the people. They new.

Britain and France, read gevernment, had a good relationship with russia, the main supporter of Milosevic. Both countries sabotaged every attempt of USA to attack the serbian position and end the genozide in Croatia and Bosnia.

That costed C and B dearly. Anyway, I used to be angry about that but not anymore.

I think that birds on tree knows that my odas. Sadly for British goverment their plans were melted.

Also ,I too like British culture. Common people didnt know what was happening. Even in today british media we dont see all news about Croatia which every other country announced. But we touch history and Balkan here.

I think some members here (British) are not naive or anything. They are just not informed.

Big Bad Voodoo

I think the British are loved around the world for their warm friendly manner and their open welcoming nature, their cuisine, and their self-deprecating sense of humour.

• Like 2

I think the British are loved around the world for their warm friendly manner and their open welcoming nature, their cuisine, and their self-deprecating sense of humour.

Not to mention their humility. :P

• Like 3

Hi Stevo!

I disagree with you that British are greater Economic power then Russia.I would like to know where you conclude that British are 5th economy of the world? Thats hilarious.

I think that British are not that BIG economic power at all. You stated that having democracy made you power. Thats nothing.

And no-London is not largest financial centre whatsoever.New York is biggest I think. You ignored Frankfurt, Paris, Hong Kong, Bombay, Mumbai, Amsterdam, Sao Paolo, Seoul and Zurich. What does it mean member of common wealth. Thats legacy of British empire which is what Im talking about,

Many nations are EU members, NATO members, WTO members.As Croatia. Does that mean that we are power? No.

And Pakistan is also Nuclear state. Is Pakistan power?

About your ranking in science I dont have clue what you talking about. But it looks funny. No offence.

And...what about invention of WWW? I dont see any point why you said that at all.

Your culture is not worthy more of Chinese culture. Your media isnt worthy more then French media. Your architecture isnt worthy more then others.

Your sports also doesnt made you super power. And sorry Chinese and Spanish are most spoken languages. I dont know where you got this info about English language.

Ability to project force around world? On that we could debate.

Anyway, thats your view. Truth is something quite different.

Big Bad Voodoo

No doubt. I like football a lot. Fans are great. Beers. I like culture. Customs, language, landscape, people, tradition, tea, humour. Its all good.

But I think that British loosing leadership of world super powers.

Oh I like music a lot.

Hi Stevo!

I disagree with you that British are greater Economic power then Russia.I would like to know where you conclude that British are 5th economy of the world? Thats hilarious.

I think that British are not that BIG economic power at all. You stated that having democracy made you power. Thats nothing.

And no-London is not largest financial centre whatsoever.New York is biggest I think. You ignored Frankfurt, Paris, Hong Kong, Bombay, Mumbai, Amsterdam, Sao Paolo, Seoul and Zurich. What does it mean member of common wealth. Thats legacy of British empire which is what Im talking about,

Many nations are EU members, NATO members, WTO members.As Croatia. Does that mean that we are power? No.

And Pakistan is also Nuclear state. Is Pakistan power?

About your ranking in science I dont have clue what you talking about. But it looks funny. No offence.

And...what about invention of WWW? I dont see any point why you said that at all.

Your culture is not worthy more of Chinese culture. Your media isnt worthy more then French media. Your architecture isnt worthy more then others.

Your sports also doesnt made you super power. And sorry Chinese and Spanish are most spoken languages. I dont know where you got this info about English language.

Ability to project force around world? On that we could debate.

Anyway, thats your view. Truth is something quite different.

Big Bad Voodoo

No offence BBV, but google is your friend, and most of the things you have posted you could have easily looked up.

For example, as of March 2013 the Global Financial Centers Index listed London as number 1. Our regulation makes it easier to move money you see ;) Spanish is not more commonly spoken then English, it has only half the amount of English peakers (500 million against 1000 million), of which English is second only to Chinese. Our nuclear arsenal has to be taken into account along side other means of exercising influence, of which our strategically placed listening posts around the globe are of use to many people and the information gained from these is of use to many nations. If you look through the rest of what you said you'll see the same errors - media for example, how is the BBC world service surpassed by the french exactly?

Edited by Sky Scanner
  • Like 3

No offence BBV, but google is your friend, and most of the things you have posted you could have easily looked up.

For example, as of March 2013 the Global Financial Centers Index listed London as number 1. Our regulation makes it easier to move money you see ;) Spanish is not more commonly spoken then English, it has only half the amount of English peakers (500 million against 1000 million), of which English is second only to Chinese. Our nuclear arsenal has to be taken into account along side of other means of exercising influence, of which our strategically placed listening posts around the globe are of use to many people and the information gained from these is of use to many nations. If you look through the rest of what you said you'll see the same errors - media for example, how is the BBC world service surpassed by the french exactly?

Call me rather Voodoo.

Yes Skyscanner, economy isnt exact science. Its constantly changing. Its not like you doing experiment in lab. GDP for instance isnt ultimate messure. Many things must took into account. Many. Germany, China, Brazil, Russia, India, Japan are economic powers. Not UK. Sure you have huge economy but its not something superpowers cared about.

Media isnt just BBC. Media is music, movies.... Al jazeera is also media. Media have power. But superpowers dont care about British media at all. Its irelavnt. I didnt made errors at all.

Yes you can pump your muscles because you are nuke power, but when you stumble upoun nation who is also nuke power you are irelvant. Like to Russia, China or India. And maybe Brazil.(?)

And yes, google is my friend.

http://en.wikipedia....native_speakers

:tu:

Big Bad Voodoo

edit: No offence taken.

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

We all know who is boss in Europe? And that isnt UK.

How will you be boss in the world when you are not in own house?! Imho.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo