Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia: "Britain just a small island"

Big Bad Voodoo

Now you got me interest in Nostradamus! Which quatrain is that?

I honestly don't remember. This is just something that has stuck in my mind, rather like the Hilter as oppossed to Hitler business. I wouldn't want to bet my salary that I remembered 100%

That is rather insulting to the British people.

Now that bit of rhetoric is pure propaganda. So of course was the rest of your message -- anyone who raises questions about who did the gassing in this case is merely engaging in lawyerly obfuscation. We know well enough who did it, although of course anything can be "denied," which if tolerated results in only evil ever prevailing.

Now that bit of rhetoric is pure propaganda. So of course was the rest of your message -- anyone who raises questions about who did the gassing in this case is merely engaging in lawyerly obfuscation. We know well enough who did it, although of course anything can be "denied," which if tolerated results in only evil ever prevailing.

Honestly, no we don't. If you are saying you have access to evidence which conclusively proves the guilt of one of the possible parties, I'm sure we'd all like to see it.

It's all very well getting upset about chemical weapons being used, and I agree it's abhorrent and whoever was responsible should be put on trial for war crimes, but simply being upset and angry and blaming the most convenient target because of a personal prejudice does nothing to bring the actual guilty party (whether it is who you are blaming, or not) any closer to being prosecuted - or punished.

Russia's offerings to the world...vodka and tetris...need i say more

There is also Tolstoy and Dostoevsky and Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev and a few others.

Denial is a sad way of avoiding doing what is right, and the morally cowardly way. I am not sure the starving man at my door is really so hungry, so I will turn him away. If you are honest with yourself you now who did it, but you are looking for an excuse.

So what makes UK English better than US English? Because it started in the UK?

We have five times as many people as you and we do just fine with our version of English. Just because it started over there doesn't mean that the UK has final say as to what is or isn't correct.

You actually sound kind of snobbish.......

Bloody hell, ain't that right?

I agree with Putin Britain is a parochial narrow minded little country full of class snobbery, social class divisions and inequality run by a bunch of right wing idiots who romanticise the Victorian era and the British empire to of the most shameful phases of our history. I hope no one does pay us any attention.

That is rather insulting to the British people.

The "No" vote taken, was about whether or not to strike Assad's regime without any evidence pointing at that as being the culprit for the chemical attacks. It was Cameron, in his petulance at losing the vote, who then declared no action would be taken by Britain in any circumstance.

When was that vote then? I've only seen one vote, and it had nothing to do with what you just said, the motion presented was for military action if necessary, upon receipt of the evidence. The sticking point is that since Iraq no one trusts and 'evidence' that's presented anymore. Naturally, no need for a second vote since that evidence wasn't going to come from the UN since they weren't tasked with doing that, so the only evidence that he could have offered the house would have been through intelligence circles, which no one would still trust, Cameron and Miliband both know that, no point embarrassing yourself with another vote.

Lets face it. Its century of USA not Brittish empire.

Big Bad Voodoo

Good. Cause we don't want an Empire, and we don't want anything to do with middle east conflicts either. We (and i'm confident most people feel the same) are sick to death of the whole thing. Also (and no offense the US posters on here either)..but we're also sick to death of getting involved in conflicts with you (your administrations I mean), you use a sledge hammer to crack a nut, and it looks bad on everyone taking part with you. You take your eye off the ball and start rows elsewhere when the job isn't finished in the one you started. British people are tired of getting involved in anything that isn't a direct threat to us anymore. Yes the pics from Syria are extremely sad, but probably no sadder the the pics we don't see from Zimbabwe and other hot spots.....the worlds a messed up place, but it's not our job to get involved, and hopefully we won't again for a very long time.

• Like 3

Good. Cause we don't want an Empire, and we don't want anything to do with middle east conflicts either. We (and i'm confident most people feel the same) are sick to death of the whole thing. Also (and no offense the US posters on here either)..but we're also sick to death of getting involved in conflicts with you (your administrations I mean), you use a sledge hammer to crack a nut, and it looks bad on everyone taking part with you. You take your eye off the ball and start rows elsewhere when the job isn't finished in the one you started. British people are tired of getting involved in anything that isn't a direct threat to us anymore. Yes the pics from Syria are extremely sad, but probably no sadder the the pics we don't see from Zimbabwe and other hot spots.....the worlds a messed up place, but it's not our job to get involved, and hopefully we won't again for a very long time.

I was reffering to language thing. :P Imho I think that USA is more responisible for spread of English language (as 2nd language) then Britain.

Anyway nice thought there. My wishes are same. Just I dont think your gov. thinks that way. Perhaps Im wrong.

Big Bad Voodoo

I think mainly it was the British, first to the US and Canada, then to Jamaica and other Caribbean locales, Singapore, most of the Pacific, large parts of Africa, and of course to the Indian Subcontinent.

The US took it to Hawaii and the Philippines and Vietnam and maybe it can be said to Japan, although that is mainly a Japanese decisioin.

Nowadays the dominance of English in science is mostly American caused. The adoption by young people is largely cultural based on American films but both British and American music. Businessmen deal all over the world so all the English-speaking countries play a role.

I think mainly it was the British, first to the US and Canada, then to Jamaica and other Caribbean locales, Singapore, most of the Pacific, large parts of Africa, and of course to the Indian Subcontinent.

The US took it to Hawaii and the Philippines and Vietnam and maybe it can be said to Japan, although that is mainly a Japanese decisioin.

Nowadays the dominance of English in science is mostly American caused. The adoption by young people is largely cultural based on American films but both British and American music. Businessmen deal all over the world so all the English-speaking countries play a role.

I think Hollywood is most responsible. Red Carpet elite. Jay Z, Beyonce and similar.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo
  • Like 1

Yes we are a Small Island. I bet Putin wishes he had one like ours,because he is losing his Billionaires (3 now) who prefer to live here rather than in Russia, and he has restricted them from moving large amounts of money out of Russia,because the Russian economy would go down the pan.

• Like 1

Err...... Hawai'i was British before it was American, a guy called Captain Cook discovered it,a very British Sailor.
  • Like 1

That's a matter of opinion of course. There are worse examples, such as when Americans say "I don't got" instead of, in British English "I don't have" (formal register) or "I haven't got" (informal register).

"I don't/ain't got" sounds uneducated in American English as well.