Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia: "Britain just a small island"

Big Bad Voodoo

Well you didnt checked well. Im not Russian supporting anything. I like history of Soviet union and thats it. Also like Boyars. Same as I like Ancient Egypt.

I dont wont to turn this thread into England Balkan thing. But if you desire so I will proove you otherwise.

Holland, Norway, Britain, France, Russia from start of Yugoslavia wars were for Serbs. Later that change because they saw what was realy happening. And because USA, Vatican, Austria, Germany, etc. hold Croatian side. But when British saw that USA choose Croatian interests over UK that was a crucial point when British start to change policy. They knew they lost their plans. They are weak to fight politicly USA and Germany.

About Helen, so far as I debated with her only on two things we dont agree. And those are- origin of Bosniaks and who are rebels in Syria.

On all others we agree 100%. So...I like to focus on positive things. If you focus on negative things you would not have friends.

Big Bad Voodoo

edit: And we debated a lot.

Agree with all. However, I do not know what you debated with Helen about the origin of Bosniaks but if you have followed the croatian or serbian history in that regard then you are likely wrong. Again, dont know the details but I know what Helen usualy sais and she is pretty objective. Anyway, not the point of this thread bu as a bosniak I had to pitch in my two cents.

And now something completely different. Good luck England, Bosnia and Croatia at the qualifiers today. Love ya all.

• Like 2

Call me rather Voodoo.

Yes Skyscanner, economy isnt exact science. Its constantly changing. Its not like you doing experiment in lab. GDP for instance isnt ultimate messure. Many things must took into account. Many. Germany, China, Brazil, Russia, India, Japan are economic powers. Not UK. Sure you have huge economy but its not something superpowers cared about.

Media isnt just BBC. Media is music, movies.... Al jazeera is also media. Media have power. But superpowers dont care about British media at all. Its irelavnt. I didnt made errors at all.

Yes you can pump your muscles because you are nuke power, but when you stumble upoun nation who is also nuke power you are irelvant. Like to Russia, China or India. And maybe Brazil.(?)

And yes, google is my friend.

http://en.wikipedia....native_speakers

:tu:

Big Bad Voodoo

Yes, when I said google is your friend, I assumed you would look at up-to-date info, so here you go:

http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html

...but if you was to include second languages, or most commonly taught, it would be number 1. :tu:

You say UK isn't the most influential economy, it is pointed out to you that those that asses these things put it at number 1...so you move and say economies keep moving? and? that's how all economies work.....the question was whether London holds influence, it does, as shown...so what's your point?

...and Superpowers don't care about economy? do what! It is everything to them, as it drives everything else they do, and the influence they have on other nations.

Superpowers don't care about British Media? well then Iran won't mind allowing the BBC back in again then will they....afterall, media means nothing to any of the big players, right?

Agree with all. However, I do not know what you debated with Helen about the origin of Bosniaks but if you have followed the croatian or serbian history in that regard then you are likely wrong. Again, dont know the details but I know what Helen usualy sais and she is pretty objective. Anyway, not the point of this thread bu as a bosniak I had to pitch in my two cents.

And now something completely different. Good luck England, Bosnia and Croatia at the qualifiers today. Love ya all.

Oh dont bring it up again. :w00t:

We agreed that we disagree. I understand Origin of Bosniaks very well. And my view differs from yours and Helen about it. Differs a lot.

Anyway, no matter where is your origin we agree mostly about rest of it. I know its hard to you to take that we have same origin. But we do. Same as Serbs and Croats were probably once same tribe. Same as we all came from Africa.

When Ottomans came in Bosnia-in Bosnia lived 700 000 Croats-Catholics, 30 000 Serbs Orthodox 30 000 Bogumils who are ethnicity______ (I left it out on purpose-fill what you like)

Big Bad Voodoo

It would appear that the UK is 6th in the world by nominal GDP, according to most lists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)#Lists

Slightly behind France (which has a slightly bigger population), but way ahead of Russia, which has a massively bigger population.

For a small island the UK certainly performs better than one might expect, in all categories. All those above it are bigger, both in terms of area and population.

• Like 1

Oh dont bring it up again. :w00t:

We agreed that we disagree. I understand Origin of Bosniaks very well. And my view differs from yours and Helen about it. Differs a lot.

Anyway, no matter where is your origin we agree mostly about rest of it. I know its hard to you to take that we have same origin. But we do. Same as Serbs and Croats were probably once same tribe. Same as we all came from Africa.

When Ottomans came in Bosnia-in Bosnia lived 700 000 Croats-Catholics, 30 000 Serbs Orthodox 30 000 Bogumils who are ethnicity______ (I left it out on purpose-fill what you like)

Big Bad Voodoo

Hi L. I knew you sounded familiar.

No problem leave it byside. Not a thread for it. But we can discuss the mention of Bosnia and the term bosniacs mentiond by the Romans about 2500 years ago sometimes in another thread.

FOCUS on the soccer games now. :)

Yes, when I said google is your friend, I assumed you would look at up-to-date info, so here you go:

http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html

...but if you was to include second languages, or most commonly taught, it would be number 1. :tu:

You say UK isn't the most influential economy, it is pointed out to you that those that asses these things put it at number 1...so you move and say economies keep moving? and? that's how all economies work.....the question was whether London holds influence, it does, as shown...so what's your point?

...and Superpowers don't care about economy? do what! It is everything to them, as it drives everything else they do, and the influence they have on other nations.

Superpowers don't care about British Media? well then Iran won't mind allowing the BBC back in again then will they....afterall, media means nothing to any of the big players, right?

Skyscanner I would rather trust wiki then krsyystal.com.

Anyway, point is that UK cant compare to Russia. Or to China. And those two (as I understand) are against attack on Syria.

I dont agree with Putin administration when they said that. I think its wrong because they show muscles. I wish that all countries could vote.

But what would happened if USA and UK start attack without UN "promission"? In that sense Russian statement was on place.

Who is UK to act without promission and against Russia and China interests?

About economy, UK is falling. USA is falling from 80s. Germany is going stronger.

And this is future, for now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRIC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Eleven

Again, in that sense, UK is "small island."

Big Bad Voodoo

FOCUS on the soccer games now. :)

Please do not spoke about it. Im on needles. Thats why I post here. To forget. Otherwise I would be eating my fingers.

Im shivering. Trust me.

Big Bad Voodoo

• Like 1

It would appear that the UK is 6th in the world by nominal GDP, according to most lists.

https://en.wikipedia...by_GDP_(nominal)#Lists

Slightly behind France (which has a slightly bigger population), but way ahead of Russia, which has a massively bigger population.

For a small island the UK certainly performs better than one might expect, in all categories. All those above it are bigger, both in terms of area and population.

Elfin,

GDP is isnt ultimate messure. For instance, it doesnt take amortization into account. Which is very important. Also what goes in GDP is alarm systems, guns,jail services, security services. And its okay.But that puts higher GDP but what about state being full of criminals. Also it doesnt took into account grey market. Also it doesnt took into account ecocide.

What if one industry bring much of GDP if it does ecocide on larger scale? Also GDP dont took into account investments into knowledge. Sure scholarship goes into account but not all have it. Also doing volunteer work dont go into GDP. etc. etc.

We look into all different types of data to conclude who is economic power and who is not.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

Skyscanner I would rather trust wiki then krsyystal.com.

That's fine. Like I say, I prefer up-to-date sources, but you stick with whatever makes sense to you.

Anyway, point is that UK cant compare to Russia. Or to China.

So you keep saying - compare in what way? Land size? History? Ability to suspres it's citizens? Ability to constantly veto? .....what is it you're talking about?

And those two (as I understand) are against attack on Syria.

I dont agree with Putin administration when they said that. I think its wrong because they show muscles. I wish that all countries could vote.

But what would happened if USA and UK start attack without UN "promission"? In that sense Russian statement was on place.

Who is UK to act without promission and against Russia and China interests?

That cuts both ways - who are Russia and China to stop others in attacking regimes that use chemicals on their own citizens? who made them the deciding force on who should die at the hands of their governments?

About economy, UK is falling.

UK is growing. But lets not let that little fact get in the way eh ;)

USA is falling from 80s. Germany is going stronger.

Our economies are different, but you won't hear any argument from me about wishing our engineering and manufacturing base was at the levels of 50yrs ago.

Maybe, maybe not...we're discussing now though, not what things might be if everything works out in 30 - 50yrs time.

• Like 4

Speak of the devil... or the devil’s aunt :D

Britain is obviously one great island with great people and without them the world wouldn’t be what it is today. Obviously.

It’s debatable who screwed up where with human rights, but British contribution and influence are, again, obvious.

At the same time span, Russians were not less cruel or exploitative but they did not invent steam engine.

Today, there’s no British empire anymore, and no real intention to rebuild it, but there is very much obvious expansionist politics present in every move of Russia that is enjoying her short moment.

Much like oligarchs and mobsters, Russian politicians know it came too easy so easy it will go.

And that’s what we all should be worried with. Russia is not laying foundations for centuries to come, they are seizing what can be seized, living their lion moments, absolutely aware it won’t last.

Now goes the sort of off topic part, but... few people asked for it :D ...

Bosnia is another geographically relatively small but so great place.

It is home of the most indigenous Europeans, sometimes called Illyrians for lack of new, more accurate term. Bosnians were here all the time and Slavs that came only melted into existing population whose genome can be traced back to the ice age.

They split, by the whim of history, into three groups according to the religions they accepted, but the proof for Bosnian nationality and therefore their statehood lies in their genes and it can be, actually, proven by hardcore science. (Utter irony is that massacres committed on Bosniaks boosted genetic data and draw attention to not that expected genome of bodies in the mass graves.)

Bosnian identity was systematically undermined, ridiculed and questioned by the ex-Yugoslav communist elite. Dominated by Serbian extremists masked as communists above national identity, the former state aimed at creeping Serbification of everything and everyone.

That is how Bosnians “disappeared”... but they are here since last ice age so I’m absolutely certain they will see few more newfangled identities come and go, sipping the same coffee with the same calm.

Edit: I forgot the on topic, as usual... Putin is mad at certain British politicians for not playing along.

He wants his usual British sleepers on his side, acting all western until it’s time to screw something up in Russian favour. In other words, Brits withdrew from Syrian mess too soon and Putin is not amused. I am.

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 5

Hi Stevo!

I disagree with you that British are greater Economic power then Russia.I would like to know where you conclude that British are 5th economy of the world? Thats hilarious.

I think that British are not that BIG economic power at all. You stated that having democracy made you power. Thats nothing.

And no-London is not largest financial centre whatsoever.New York is biggest I think. You ignored Frankfurt, Paris, Hong Kong, Bombay, Mumbai, Amsterdam, Sao Paolo, Seoul and Zurich. What does it mean member of common wealth. Thats legacy of British empire which is what Im talking about,

Many nations are EU members, NATO members, WTO members.As Croatia. Does that mean that we are power? No.

And Pakistan is also Nuclear state. Is Pakistan power?

About your ranking in science I dont have clue what you talking about. But it looks funny. No offence.

And...what about invention of WWW? I dont see any point why you said that at all.

Your culture is not worthy more of Chinese culture. Your media isnt worthy more then French media. Your architecture isnt worthy more then others.

Your sports also doesnt made you super power. And sorry Chinese and Spanish are most spoken languages. I dont know where you got this info about English language.

Ability to project force around world? On that we could debate.

Anyway, thats your view. Truth is something quite different.

Big Bad Voodoo

well its entirely up to you to dismiss the facts. every single thing i have written in the post you are trying to pull apart is fact.

economy United Kingdom 5th largest Economy. Russia ranked 7th Largest Economy. fact:

when it comes to financial centres the largest three in the world are London, New York and Tokyo. (largest in europe) : fact

Global Financial Centres Index. as of 2013, the top ten financial centres according to the Global Financial Centres Index in the world are

http://en.wikipedia....l_Centres_Index

member of the commonwealth which is as relevant today as it was then. a trade block, access to 53 countries (54 UK) covering a quarter of the world and all continents. a third of the worlds population. generating billions in trade for the UK economy.

When it comes to Science and Technology research and development we rank second and third in the world. - as for the World wide web i thought i'd throw that modern British invention in there. as i knew it would stick in your throat. - UK, has 12 companies, who are in the top 20 in the world when it comes to technology and science, small example second, motor racing globally the UK accounts for 70% of all research and development. - UK aerospace industry second largest in the world, - BAE systems including research and development second largest defence contractor in the world, Rolls Royce second largest aircraft engine manufacturer in the world. considered a major play in the world in pharmaceuticals, The UK is home to the likes of GlaxosmithKline ect..Pharmaceutical companies research and development the UK is joint second with Germany to only the USA who dominates the market.

when it comes to art and culture architecture, it all depends on personal preference, so no point arguing the toss over that.

when it comes to Language, English is the official language of more countries in the world than another. and is spoken in more countries than any other, your vain attempt to disprove this seen you google and click on the first page which suited your argument. you never fully understood the point and fact i made. i've highlighted above. in your bid to disprove me you selectively chosen a fact of NATIVE speaking language, this would see China top because they have a population of 1.2 billion. try googling again, never mind i've done it for you.

Of the 193 widely recognized countries, 178 have an official language at the national level. Among those, English is the most common with 51 nations giving it official status.

http://en.wikipedia....ficial_language

i was going to carry on but i re-read your post and came to the conclusion, i'd be wasting my time.

• Like 3

I will say this: visit Britain and then visit Russia and decide which you would rather live in. For the most part Russia is still primitive and developing, except the present government's attitudes are preventing development and the economy would collapse if it weren't for commodities.

• Like 2

We all know who is boss in Europe? And that isnt UK.

How will you be boss in the world when you are not in own house?! Imho.

Big Bad Voodoo

We beat the Germans in two World Wars and saved the French in one.

Today, Germany isn't a nuclear power and the French are ****ting themselves because the British Parliament decided it wasn't going to war in Syria.

Britain is a Global Great Power, Germany and France are Regional Powers (and so is Russia by the way)

So if I was going to word it the way you did, GREAT Britain is the boss in Europe

Edited by tyrant lizard
  • Like 1

Speak of the devil... or the devil’s aunt :D

Britain is obviously one great island with great people and without them the world wouldn’t be what it is today. Obviously.

It’s debatable who screwed up where with human rights, but British contribution and influence are, again, obvious.

At the same time span, Russians were not less cruel or exploitative but they did not invent steam engine.

Today, there’s no British empire anymore, and no real intention to rebuild it, but there is very much obvious expansionist politics present in every move of Russia that is enjoying her short moment.

Much like oligarchs and mobsters, Russian politicians know it came too easy so easy it will go.

And that’s what we all should be worried with. Russia is not laying foundations for centuries to come, they are seizing what can be seized, living their lion moments, absolutely aware it won’t last.

Now goes the sort of off topic part, but... few people asked for it :D ...

Bosnia is another geographically relatively small but so great place.

It is home of the most indigenous Europeans, sometimes called Illyrians for lack of new, more accurate term. Bosnians were here all the time and Slavs that came only melted into existing population whose genome can be traced back to the ice age.

They split, by the whim of history, into three groups according to the religions they accepted, but the proof for Bosnian nationality and therefore their statehood lies in their genes and it can be, actually, proven by hardcore science. (Utter irony is that massacres committed on Bosniaks boosted genetic data and draw attention to not that expected genome of bodies in the mass graves.)

Bosnian identity was systematically undermined, ridiculed and questioned by the ex-Yugoslav communist elite. Dominated by Serbian extremists masked as communists above national identity, the former state aimed at creeping Serbification of everything and everyone.

That is how Bosnians “disappeared”... but they are here since last ice age so I’m absolutely certain they will see few more newfangled identities come and go, sipping the same coffee with the same calm.

Edit: I forgot the on topic, as usual... Putin is mad at certain British politicians for not playing along.

He wants his usual British sleepers on his side, acting all western until it’s time to screw something up in Russian favour. In other words, Brits withdrew from Syrian mess too soon and Putin is not amused. I am.

1:1 :hmm:

Britsih didnt invented steam engine. Greeks did that.

About Bosniaks,Recently I got for present book "Na klizištu povijesti" by Dubravko Lovrenčić. 807 pages.

Wonderfull book.I recommand it.

Big Bad Voodoo

edit: And to call Russians mobsters and oligarchs is kindly suggesting what you stated.

Easy come easy go. Well it isnt like you said. They gone trough phenomenan called transition.

Which is debate on it own.

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

We beat the Germans in two World Wars and saved the French in one.

Today, Germany isn't a nuclear power and the French are ****ting themselves because the British Parliament decided it wasn't going to war in Syria.

Britain is a Global Great Power, Germany and France are Regional Powers (and so is Russia by the way)

So if I was going to word it the way you did, GREAT Britain is the boss in Europe

Lol.

Russians and Chinese were also winners in WW2.

And to call Russians regional power made me to wrote lol.

Btw Merkel is boss.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

i was going to carry on but i re-read your post and came to the conclusion, i'd be wasting my time.

I caught this first. :w00t:

Then I will not spent my time reading your post too.

Big Bad Voodoo

I think right now Britain has more power than Russia, but Russia has much more possibilities and resources.

Hi Skyscanner,

Anyway English language isnt first. Also even it does what does it change?

Compare by any means. Russians are greater power then UK. To claim otherwise is hilarious, imho.

First of all there is much debate about that chemical attack. Its also debate on its own. Which is not subject of this debate. (?)

Rebels in Syria are subject on its own. Also not subject of debate.(?)

Point is that they have ability to use veto because they as UK are winners in WW2.

In fact more Russians died then all others allies combined.

About BRIC-it isnt maybe. Its most likely. 90%. You see there is brench of economy which predict future events. And they do it with high accuracy.

Also all today data show that they are economic power.

Big Bad Voodoo

edit: I wonder would UK used veto if Russians decide to attack Norway or Holland?

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

I think right now Britain has more power than Russia, but Russia has much more possibilities and resources.

Wrong. Europe depends on Russia. :tu:

Gas.They shut their pipes and :st

Big Bad Voodoo

Oh and Helen I forgot. Russians were never imperialists. :tu:

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

Don't argue about the power of English. Speaking it is a life-changer in much of the world and expected among the educated everywhere. There may be more native Chinese speakers, but that is in reality several languages that share a cumbersome writing system. The ability to speak any of the Chinese dialects does little for you except in China, while English is useful even in China.

• Like 1