Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia: "Britain just a small island"

Big Bad Voodoo

How then Australian sounds? To me its irritating. No offence to all those Australians here. If you heard mine, then you will know what does irritating English means. But I try. UM helps me a lot.

Big Bad Voodoo

Australian sounds rather like a diluted form of London speech to me. I imagine Londoners might disagree.

Its not opinion. Its fact. What in particular you find that I need to back up?

All of it. Infact, I think what the problem might be here is you seem to have a completely definition of what the word 'influence' means, and what constitutes a country being a relevant and important player on the world's stage (both things you claim the UK isn't).

So why don't you start by explaining what your definition of those things are first, then we can see why you think Russia has all that and the UK doesn't?

Skyscanner, now you are not fair. "All of it." Why dont you know multiquote anymore?! No need to answer. I understand.

Okay defenition that by Russian eyes UK is small island in geo political and econimical terms.

Especially in Geo terms.

Ever hear for: "One who rule central Asia and centar Europe rule Euroasia. One who rule Euroasia rule the world...."?

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

I am, and therefore speak, English. The fact that you are forced to communicate in my language tells me more than I ever need to know about world influence.

Elfin, I am with you on the topic but you are misguided regarded your statement. This is an english speaking thread therefore we communicate in english. Also, the reason why many foreigners speak english is because it is a simmple language when spoken, easier to learn then any other. I understand russian but do not speak it very well. I am fluent in german because I spent half of my life there but it is not easy to learn it if you are older unlike english.

In other words, you should give some credit to people like Voodoo who at least make an atempt to speak your language and I think he does it very well.

• Like 2

Thanks odas! I like discussing with Elfin a lot. I think she is very smart and clever.

Skyscanner, Russians wanted to say that to them you are irrelevant.

Ofcourse you are not irrelavnt for Ireland. Or Serbia.

Or Canada. But to them you are. Atleast their message seems like to me.

And we start arguing about it. And I think I understand Russian position. They realy dont care about UK much.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo
  • Like 1

And interestingly, or not, I find some American accents to sound better than some English ones. I find the Southern accent to be particulary pleasant to listen to, for instance the late Shelby Foote. Or an accent like Morgan Freeman's.

I actually love English accents the world over. The US has many accents (some better than others), but I love listening to the various UK and Irish accents, as well as Australian, New Zealand, and South African accents. I will admit that at times they are so strong that they are difficult to understand. I've watched foreign English movies where I've had to turn the subtitles on.

It was her blanket statement that got to me. Certain individuals sound uneducated......but that can be anyone in any language....

I've never knocked an entire country for the way they speak....

• Like 1

I actually love English accents the world over. The US has many accents (some better than others), but I love listening to the various UK and Irish accents, as well as Australian, New Zealand, and South African accents. I will admit that at times they are so strong that they are difficult to understand. I've watched foreign English movies where I've had to turn the subtitles on.

It was her blanket statement that got to me. Certain individuals sound uneducated......but that can be anyone in any language....

Cor blimey guv'nor, as Dick Van Dyke would say, but no Englishman :)

when has this become an accent slagging match?

Have you not read the entire thread?

• Like 1

Have you not read the entire thread?

whats accents of America and Australia got to do with Britain and Russia?

whats accents of America and Australia got to do with Britain and Russia?

You obviously haven't read the entire thread........

• Like 2

I didn't say that American speech was uneducated. I said that it sounds uneducated to British ears.

Ah yes, I have heard that when I'm in Britain, and I am capable of putting on a British accent of the most educated sort, but I find it feel pretentious to me. Basically I have found it is best to use what is called "standard American" almost everywhere. It is easier for non-native English speakers to understand and doesn't involve the possibility of someone thinking you are mocking their accent.

There is one big difference between the British and the Americans when it comes to accents. So long as you are readily understood (no one likes an accent so heavy it is hard to understand), Americans think most "foreign" accents are "cute" or otherwise interesting, and look down only on their own regionalisms. The British tend to be more elitist in this regard and look down on most foreign accents, including of course Americans.

• Like 1

Elfin, I am with you on the topic but you are misguided regarded your statement. This is an english speaking thread therefore we communicate in english. Also, the reason why many foreigners speak english is because it is a simmple language when spoken, easier to learn then any other. I understand russian but do not speak it very well. I am fluent in german because I spent half of my life there but it is not easy to learn it if you are older unlike english.

In other words, you should give some credit to people like Voodoo who at least make an atempt to speak your language and I think he does it very well.

English might be an easy language to learn if you don't want to speak it perfectly.

The reason it sounds uneducated is because of the grammatical differences. E.g. saying "through September" when they mean "through to September" and so on. These sound like childish mistakes.

British are very bad at learning a second language, probably becuase so many others speak English. Anyway, there is no need to speak a foreign language, all you have to do when confronted with Jonny foreigner in his own funny little country is to TALK SLOOOOLY AND LOUDLY, and they will of course understand

• Like 2

The reason it sounds uneducated is because of the grammatical differences. E.g. saying "through September" when they mean "through to September" and so on. These sound like childish mistakes.

It doesn't sound uneducated. It just sounds different.

It doesn't sound uneducated. It just sounds different.

That's a matter of opinion of course. There are worse examples, such as when Americans say "I don't got" instead of, in British English "I don't have" (formal register) or "I haven't got" (informal register).

That's a matter of opinion of course. There are worse examples, such as when Americans say "I don't got" instead of, in British English "I don't have" (formal register) or "I haven't got" (informal register).

What about 'innit' instead of 'isn't it'.....or 'I should of' instead of 'I should have'...most people in England talk like that and it's incorrect, but other English speakers don't criticize the British about it.

We all speak different kinds of English with different accents.....and we may prefer some accents over others, but we should never compared them. There isn't one right and one wrong...they are all right.

What about 'innit' instead of 'isn't it'.....or 'I should of' instead of 'I should have'...most people in England talk like that and it's incorrect, but other English speakers don't criticize the British about it.

We all speak different kinds of English with different accents.....and we may prefer some accents over others, but we should never compared them. There isn't one right and one wrong...they are all right.

Those informal terms you mentioned in British English are just that, informal terms. They exist alongside the standard written language.

I was also careful to point out that it doesn't make the Americans actually wrong, it just makes them sound wrong, to us. Rightly or wrongly, as it were.

English is changing and becoming more isolating. Even the agreement rules and the forms of the verb "to be" are being simplified, and the States seem to be out front. Much of what I was taught has gone by the wayside over my lifetime, at least in the States in common speech, and I think for the most part this is good, but at best must be accepted.

English is changing and becoming more isolating. Even the agreement rules and the forms of the verb "to be" are being simplified, and the States seem to be out front. Much of what I was taught has gone by the wayside over my lifetime, at least in the States in common speech, and I think for the most part this is good, but at best must be accepted.

The verb "to be" is the one that differs most between English dialects in England.

• Like 1

Ahem, that's "I ain't got". And I've had alot of experience with the "ain't gots". Just ask them if they have something, they ain't got it... LOL And as far as accents go, if you were to hear me talk you'd thing I just fell off the haywagon. English is the international language of trade and commerce. And the reasons for that are many.

Back on the topic at hand. Putin is obviously irritated with the UK or he wouldnt have said anything about them. Putin tried to make it sound like Great Britain is the size of Figi in an attempt to downplay it's clout and influence in world affairs. Putin reminds me of a caveman who just found a transister radio. He's got it in his hands but just can't seem to figure it out. In Russia's defence, the West makes them a bit nervous due to repeated attacks by the West on thier homeland in the past. Is Putin envious of Great Britain? (see caveman analogy)

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Great Britain's Parliment for nixing the surgical strike on Syria. They unintentionally backed up the American people's sentiments, at a time when our very own House of Representitives approved the measure. So don't be surprised if you get a knock on the door one day.

Edited by Stardrive
  • Like 1

I like the word "ain't" (and it has a considerable pedigree). You won't find it in English-teaching books in Vietnam, because of course they would never teach a "mistake." I routinely start of my tutoring (I do it for free sometimes, mostly for monks) with a little lesson about that word, not that I encourage them to use it (although I do, they have to choose how they want to come across on their own) but so that they know it when they hear it.

Regarding Putin and Great Britain, it strikes me, if the reports are fully true, that Putin has lost it. His assertion is a joke, so he loses credibility everywhere, and in the meantime irritates an important nation out its ear.

I rather suspect the British will regret the action of their parliament in this. Of all people, that the British would appear to be tolerant of chemical warfare is astonishing.