Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why aren't there giant insects ?

Saru

I can't handle the insects we have. If there were giant insects, I'd die. I'd just shrivel up and die.

• Like 1

:o Giant spiders? *runs* >>>>>>>.>>>>

There are two reasons there aren't giant insects. 1 not enough O2. 2 their body armour/exoskeleton. When dinos roamed there was more oxygen in the air and there were giant insects. Oh and spiders aren't insects. Also, the largest spider is the horseshoe crab. Which has been around longer than the dinos.

• Like 2

Oh and spiders aren't insects.

I know that, they're arthropods, but when I see one in my house it becomes a creepy-crawly insect as far as I'm concerned.

Also, the largest spider is the horseshoe crab.

Horseshoe crabs are marine arthropods.

There are two reasons there aren't giant insects. 1 not enough O2. 2 their body armour/exoskeleton. When dinos roamed there was more oxygen in the air and there were giant insects. Oh and spiders aren't insects. Also, the largest spider is the horseshoe crab. Which has been around longer than the dinos.

Exactly this and also because they have no bones in their bodies and they depend on coats of crisp shell or leathery skin to hold them in shape. Their outer skeletons are tough, but not tough enough to hold a lot of large, soft organs in their proper places.

I like little critters. One of the reasons is because they are 'little', if they were a lot bigger they would cease to be pretty and become incredibly scary, even for me.

Except if I remember correctly the age of giant insects (compared to modern ones) preceded the dinosaurs.
  • Like 1