Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

13 of the most unusual phobias

Still Waters

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• freetoroam

• Still Waters

• msmike1

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has a fear of clowns to a point. I wouldn't call it a phobia, but she most definitely doesn't like them. Now grasshoppers is a whole other story. She will hurt herself and everyone around her to get away from a grasshopper. I mean screaming, yelling, stomping, running over whoever or whatever is in her path over a grasshopper.

Mike

My wife has a fear of clowns to a point. I wouldn't call it a phobia, but she most definitely doesn't like them. Now grasshoppers is a whole other story. She will hurt herself and everyone around her to get away from a grasshopper. I mean screaming, yelling, stomping, running over whoever or whatever is in her path over a grasshopper.

Mike

Oh dear Mike, I do not even know your wife and I am beginning to grow a fear towards her! :cry:

Now here is an interesting one:

The name for the phobia of being without mobile phone coverage was coined five years ago after researchers discovered the phenomenon. According to recent surveys, more than half of people in the UK suffer from it. The phobia is brought on by the fear of losing signal, running out of battery or even losing sight of a mobile phone.

I have seen people panic when they can not get a signal, I would NOT class this as a phobia though, a reliance on technology yes, but phobia? NO. It was pointed out years back the danger the phones could have on some people who do not have the logic, commonsense or (as many young people have been taught now) the know how, how to cope without relying on a piece of technology.

What did we do before we had the mobile phones? Obviously mobiles are a major asset and help in our lives, but not when people start relying solely on the phone and no longer have the know how on how to deal with a situation with out one. These people do not have a phobia, they are just "senseless", NOOO!! I do not mean that in a belittling way, I mean they are not using their human senses because they rely on technology to do it for them.