Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Snallygaster

KovenantNebulus

Hello, I have lurked the site for years. Finally made an account. I just wanted to share my All time Favorite Cryptid: The Snallygaster.

I find it fascinating and Completely Bizarre, Anyway. Brace yourself for an interesting read. Kind of weird that I didn't find this posted on here yet.

** Posted this in the wrong Category at first. Hopefully I'm right this time. **

post-142054-0-05747800-1378481186_thumb.post-142054-0-57984500-1378481186_thumb.

The Blue Ridge Mountains area was settled by German immigrants beginning in the 1730s. Early accounts describe the community being terrorized by a monster called a Schneller Geist, meaning "quick spirit" in German.

It has been suggested the legend was resurrected in the 19th century to frighten freed slaves.

Reports of a strange flying beast known as the Snallygaster first appeared in Frederick County in early February, 1909. The story was carried prominently in Middletown's Valley Register, a weeklynewspaper, for about a month, when the story mysteriously died.

**** Source *****

http://www.phantomsa...allygaster.html

Click the Link for the Full story.

That's awesome. My new favorite cryptid. Thanks for sharing.

No problem. Thanks for stopping by and enjoying :D!

The stories sound a little like the stories of The Jersey Devil...

• Like 1

I hate both of you.

It's pretty crazy. I've tried researching the guy that was "killed" by the snallygaster, no info there.

If I could go to a time and place in history this is the time I'd visit. Take a camera and get that beast on video lol

Ah ha! I wondered where they got the idea for this charming critter. :w00t:

giant_claw_zpsdd34c118.jpg

• Like 1

Snallygaster. Pretty interesting-looking thing from the description. Like the name, too.

• Like 1

I live right near Cumberland, where the thing was supposedly first sighted. That's pretty neat, there are some out of the way parts of that town I could totally see weird things emerging from, haha.

• Like 1

I live right near Cumberland, where the thing was supposedly first sighted. That's pretty neat, there are some out of the way parts of that town I could totally see weird things emerging from, haha.

Time to start investigating!:D lol jk