Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Hunters Haunted

Q-C

I would argue competition is healthy as it weeds out the hype and bling poseurs and, dare I say it, maybe even encourage the needed rigor for applying sound research methods. Now wouldn't that be a change of pace for maintaining credibility with viewers, use a research methodologist to help substantiate the results.

I doubt that anyone can make a ghost perform on cue, and trying to poke the supernatural with a stick to see what you can make happen is just plain dumb. I don't really watch television, so have never seen one of those programs, not that I would want to.

• Like 1

I confess the guilty pleasure of watching a lot of these shows. At least 95% of what I see nowadays is easily blown off as hoccum. I let my gut decide the other 5%. It's rare I see something that makes me go "whoah".

When GH came out years ago I was excited that someone was taking a clinical approach to this field and in my gut I trusted Jay and Grant beacuse of their inclination to disprove what was going on:

["Ghost Hunters" won't allow the Syfy Channel to touch any evidence, and nothing on the show is fabricated, he says.

"A lot of our cases never air," Hawes says. "We go in believing that 80% of all claims can be disproved."]

I firmly believe that production companies now are "juicing up" or flat out faking the evidence they are presenting. Makes it harder work for the legitimate researchers.

• Like 2

:tu: I don't know if anyone here catches Azteca America which has a show called Extranormal on. They really don't use fancy gadget like GH or some of these other shows. If people have a haunting and the family needs help,they have people who will assist them but from a spiritual standpoint.They actually do catch stuff on camera,

and they will rerun what they catch so the viewer at home can see it. You can also actually hear voices or other noises they catch on audio.They went to one historic site, in Mexico, and they caught a piece of the leg bone of a skeleton moving.No not making it up. I don't recall the site's name, but there was a glass cover over the floor showing the two skeletons that were discovered. They have caught various figures sometimes just when the camera man is panning around. In another location, everyone heard like a bang sound.The camera panned around looking for the noise source.By accident, one of the cameramen caught this human shaped black figure peering around this doorway,and then it ducked back.

I'm sure they have episodes posted on Youtube.It's a very interesting show.

I've noticed that most of you think that these programs are fake. In my opinion, many are not. Unless you have had your own experiences with the paranormal, please don't subject your opinion onto others. I have lived in haunted houses and all of my grandkids, my daughter, and I have all had our own experiences with the paranormal. Myy grandsons can see spirits, so can my grand-daughter. My daughter has another ability that she refuses to use because it scares her. She can hear what another person, especially those close to death or dead are saying. So yes, spirits are all around us, You just can't see nor hear them. When my grandsons began this, they were 2. It's been an ongoing thing for years. One is now 9 and the other is 5. My grand-daugter is 15 and still has an uncanny habit of saying " did you see that?" or "who is that?" I can't see a darn thing but I have in the past. Thank God, that most of the spirits haven't been bad ones just ordinary people, like my daughter's ex-husband's father. You can set a bunch of pictures in front of the oldest grandson and he can pick out the person that he sees. Even though he never met his grandfather, he knows exactly who it is. So be picky and dislike the programs all you wish to but remember, someday it could happen to you too, when you least expect it.

I can understand why you all think they're fake. I would too if I hadn't experienced things myself.

Edited by crisb
  • Like 2

Crisb; I don't think the paranormal is fake. I just don't think that these people who make the television programs can force the paranormal to perform on cue. Yes, I believe in spirits. Been there, have seen them, heard them, too. I think the phenomena on the TV programs is most likely fake. As with most "reality" TV, there is little reality involved.

• Like 2

So, they are out to prove that they (P.I's) are all Jackasses, and that the average consumer is a(n) Idiot. Not surprising at all.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 2

Most of the stuff in those shows are BS. They always "hear a sound" and associate it with a ghost.

Ghosts aren't always clumsy little specters.

PAH!!! The supernatural has been full of charlatans for hundreds of years why would it change now? As usual, if money is involved then it's handbags at dawn. Hopefully the whole thing collapses and we are left with devoted people who do it for free.

• Like 1

There are people researching in this field for the wrong reasons. Some group charges high fees to investigate homes and it's not uncommon hearing people mentionning that they're starting to investigate ghosts for ''winning James Randi's 1 million dollar price''. This is ridiculous. But the paranormal is also victim of it's popularity. There are people who are serious about it and others see the opportunites that can be got from it.

As for paranormal TV show, they're constricted to do things in certain ways by the TV producers. Ghost Hunters and Paranormal State for instance (two show I am familliar with), it takes days to prepare, travel, research and investigate. We see only fragments edited and cut down of these investigations. The TV format according to it's budget usuall allows only for 45 or 21 minutes of episode format. But these investigations DO occur and TAPS and PRS have gathered their own evidences and therefore preserved their integrity. But they must be ready to pay the price of a TV show to promote the paranormal, which means staged and prearrenged scenes and editing and reshooting to give a certain ''look'' on the show. Lots of people therefore believe that these two shows are faked and it's not easy to fully believe but once you learn more about these people, their organisations and communites, you realise that they are serious and honest in their quest to understand and promote their views on the Paranormal.

Edited by sam_comm

Those Tv shows were so full of ****. Everytime I see one on tv it makes my blood boil.

Everytime I see Tosh.O it makes my blood boil

• Like 3

"Ghost Hunters" won't allow the Syfy Channel to touch any evidence, and nothing on the show is fabricated, he says.

rolls eyes. :whistle:

"A lot of our cases never air," Hawes says. "We go in believing that 80% of all claims can be disproved."

Fair Enough.

Edited by stevemagegod
  • Like 1

I've noticed that most of you think that these programs are fake. In my opinion, many are not. Unless you have had your own experiences with the paranormal, please don't subject your opinion onto others. I have lived in haunted houses and all of my grandkids, my daughter, and I have all had our own experiences with the paranormal. Myy grandsons can see spirits, so can my grand-daughter. My daughter has another ability that she refuses to use because it scares her. She can hear what another person, especially those close to death or dead are saying. So yes, spirits are all around us, You just can't see nor hear them. When my grandsons began this, they were 2. It's been an ongoing thing for years. One is now 9 and the other is 5. My grand-daugter is 15 and still has an uncanny habit of saying " did you see that?" or "who is that?" I can't see a darn thing but I have in the past. Thank God, that most of the spirits haven't been bad ones just ordinary people, like my daughter's ex-husband's father. You can set a bunch of pictures in front of the oldest grandson and he can pick out the person that he sees. Even though he never met his grandfather, he knows exactly who it is. So be picky and dislike the programs all you wish to but remember, someday it could happen to you too, when you least expect it.

I can understand why you all think they're fake. I would too if I hadn't experienced things myself.

You experienced those things and looked for a paranormal answer, others would look for logical answers. The truth is - I have seen nothing presented which is compelling enough to need to look further than a logical answer.

I bet if you properly set up an experiment with your oldest grandson and pictures that there would be nothing conclusive in the data. Results would be in the known realm of chance/probability.

My opinion of course - but with all the people throughout history who have believed in and chased the paranormal, it's a little strange we have no solid proof - only logical explanations and some unknowns.

The shows are laughable - but

• Like 2

I come from Mombasa, KENYA, off the indian ocean coast. If those ghost busters want real physical paranormal activity, then they are welcome to meet our resident jinn, no need for sophisticated gadgets - its all live for you to see

I come from Mombasa, KENYA, off the indian ocean coast. If those ghost busters want real physical paranormal activity, then they are welcome to meet our resident jinn, no need for sophisticated gadgets - its all live for you to see

Man, they're not gonna travel that far! Travel Channel for places the white folks like to visit. In safety.

You experienced those things and looked for a paranormal answer, others would look for logical answers. The truth is - I have seen nothing presented which is compelling enough to need to look further than a logical answer.

I bet if you properly set up an experiment with your oldest grandson and pictures that there would be nothing conclusive in the data. Results would be in the known realm of chance/probability.

My opinion of course - but with all the people throughout history who have believed in and chased the paranormal, it's a little strange we have no solid proof - only logical explanations and some unknowns.

The shows are laughable - but

Well, I've been lobbying for "solid proof" for a long time now. My way would be to select a site where there are paranormal happenings, a door opening and then closing and locking, or something similar. Then you put as many instruments as you can at that site AFTER making sure that particular happening can't be debunked.. Then run audio, video, and the rest 24 hours a day for at least a month. Or longer. I know, I know, watching the film and checking the other instruments would be a huge task, but that's what it's going to take.

But I have to agree with Crisb. You have to have your own experience before you can believe it. I am the biggest skeptic there is, but I have had a couple, let's call them weird, experiences with the paranormal and I can't explain them and neither can anyone else. They're not proof of the paranormal as I see it because I didn't have anyone with me, or the person with me didn't notice anything to verify it. So it's just a personal experience on my part. What it really comes down to is the integrity of the people telling you what happened, for better or worse. That's all.

Brother, haven't these show's died off yet? Ghost Hunters has been proven to fake "paranormal evidence and events." All one has to do is google it if you weren't privvy to actually seeing it first hand or being here when we debunked it. Ghost Adventures is one of the WORST shows on TV as far as paranormal investigation shows are concerned lol. Whoever still believes in these shows and their "credibility" I feel bad for you... Please, do us all a favor, educate yourselves, and then try to watch these horrendous shows.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

KEEP THINKING THE SHOWS ARE FAKE I KNOW SOMEWHERE RIGHT NOW NONE OF YOU WOULD EVEN LAST THREE MINUTES IN THIS LOCATION.I WATCH THE SHOWS AND NOT SCARED TO SAY IT IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE STAY OFF THE POST AND KEEP YOUR JIBBERISH TO YOURSELF BECAUSE APPARENTLY YOU MUST BELIEVE MOST OF YOU ON HERE COMMENTING SO MUCH. UNTILL THE PARANORMAL HAPPENS TO YOU MOST OF YOU ALL WILL NEVER BELIEVE BUT I TELL YOU THIS IT'S NOTHING TO PLAY WITH....TRUST ME.

KEEP THINKING THE SHOWS ARE FAKE I KNOW SOMEWHERE RIGHT NOW NONE OF YOU WOULD EVEN LAST THREE MINUTES IN THIS LOCATION.I WATCH THE SHOWS AND NOT SCARED TO SAY IT IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE STAY OFF THE POST AND KEEP YOUR JIBBERISH TO YOURSELF BECAUSE APPARENTLY YOU MUST BELIEVE MOST OF YOU ON HERE COMMENTING SO MUCH. UNTILL THE PARANORMAL HAPPENS TO YOU MOST OF YOU ALL WILL NEVER BELIEVE BUT I TELL YOU THIS IT'S NOTHING TO PLAY WITH....TRUST ME.

first, turn caps off, it doesn't validate your opinion but put people off from reading it. second, never mix personal experiences with tv shows, especially when you only going by what they are showing you, there is a thing called editing and another called trying to get rantings. Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 2

Ghost shows are entertainment that plays on irrational belief. Just like the shows about cryptids, alien visitation, conspiracy theories, etc nothing is ever really determined. These shows merely lead the predisposed to draw conclusions that validate their irrational beliefs while absorbing the content of commercials for fast food and Geico. It is really that simple.

Edited by sinewave