Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Health myth of the juicing craze

Still Waters

It is a trend driven by celebrities and the perceived health benefits of making drinks with entirely natural ingredients. But “juicing” could actually be bad for you, experts have warned.

Drinking smoothies and blended fruit juices can have the unintended consequence of massively increasing the amount of sugar a person consumes, said scientists.

http://www.telegraph...cing-craze.html

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• sarah_444

• Aggie

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

People don't typically eat a container of strawberries, 3 kiwis and a couple of bananas in one sitting because they would get full faster then it would take to finish - drinking it is more convenient way to get it all the nutrients in, but your blood pressure is still going to spike and crash in a hurry if it's just fruit.

I drink a lot of "green" blended smoothies. Leafy greens, maybe some cucumber or celery, lemon juice and usually 1 - 1.5 servings of fruit to make it taste somewhat decent.

The only problem is moderation. A whole smoothie now and then (even completely fruit filled and full of natural sugar) is going to benefit the average person more than it is going harm their long term health. I'll take one over a can of Coke any day. I think the real problem comes in when you're drinking 5 of them a day or living solely off of them as part of some juicing diet fad.