Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jersey Devil

littlewallflower

Hello! I scrolled back and didn't see a board on the Jersey Devil, and if I missed it I do apologize! Just curious to see people's thoughts and what not to this urban legend. I've heard a few different variations to the story as well and was also curious to see what other people have heard? Now, I can say I have spent quite a large amount of time exploring the Pine Barrens and surrounding areas. Many people around there do strongly believe that the Jersey Devil is real and alive. I can saw that I saw something strange once while driving through the woods late one night with a friend, but it was extremely dark and I'm not 100% sure on what exactly I saw.

In all honesty I can't say if I believe or not. I guess I'm just looking to hear other peoples opinions and stories?

For anyone who doesn't know I'll add this short description taken from Wiki:

The Jersey Devil is a legendary creature or cryptid said to inhabit the Pine Barrens of Southern New Jersey, United States. The creature is often described as a flying biped with hooves, but there are many different variations. The common description is that of a kangaroo-like creature with the head of a goat, leathery bat-like wings, horns, small arms with clawed hands, cloven hooves and a forked tail. It has been reported to move quickly and often is described as emitting a "blood-curdling scream."

"It was said that Mother Leeds had 12 children and, after finding she was pregnant for the 13th time, stated that this one would be the Devil. In 1735, Mother Leeds was in labor on a stormy night. Gathered around her were her friends. Mother Leeds was supposedly a witch and the child's father was the Devil himself. The child was born normal, but then changed form. It changed from a normal baby to a creature with hooves, a goat's head, bat wings and a forked tail. It growled and screamed, then killed the midwife before flying up the chimney. It circled the villages and headed toward the pines. In 1740 a clergy exorcised the demon for 100 years and it wasn't seen again until 1890."

Also, I recently found out that there is a muesum dedicated to the Jersey Devil. I'll have to go check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jersey-Devil-Museum/109550919065561

Edited by littlewallflower

I really don't believe this story. When I was younger, my ex and I used to camp in the pine barrens around Forked River. The 4th of July weekend was a big camping event for people with dirt bikes and 4-wheel drives. I've been pretty far into the barrens and have never seen or heard anything unusual. Of course, the story of the Jersey Devil was told around all the campfires, but no one ever said they saw or heard anything. Since the weekend would draw hundreds of people, that could be why, but many of us would travel far from the campsites. I still go through the barrens on my way to the shore in the summer. I'll keep looking, but not counting on ever seeing anything. Let us know what's in that museum.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

I really don't believe this story. When I was younger, my ex and I used to camp in the pine barrens around Forked River. The 4th of July weekend was a big camping event for people with dirt bikes and 4-wheel drives. I've been pretty far into the barrens and have never seen or heard anything unusual. Of course, the story of the Jersey Devil was told around all the campfires, but no one ever said they saw or heard anything. Since the weekend would draw hundreds of people, that could be why, but many of us would travel far from the campsites. I still go through the barrens on my way to the shore in the summer. I'll keep looking, but not counting on ever seeing anything. Let us know what's in that museum.

I'm like in the middle about the whole thing. Though the story itself is somewhat farfetched, and a little out there. Have you ever looked up or read any reports of sightings? I heard some go back to the early 1900s, and I believe the Leed's were real people.

I've never been camping in the Pine Barrens, but I've wandered around quite a bit. Like I said, I saw something weird but I can't honestly say what it was because we were driving and moving to fast.

I have a feeling the museum is going to be small and be one of those places no one really goes to. It's worth a shot though! I'll try and remember to share! My Mom was actually the one who asked me to go.

• Like 1

It's been awhile since I read the stories. I need to go back and look at them again. I believe at one time it was seen in your area, somewhere in Philly. The museum probably will be small since it's in Asbury Park, but it should have a pretty good reference to the history of the devil.

• Like 1

I have heard it may be the result if a government experiment that went wrong and even that they are trying to hunt the thing down and kill it.

I have heard it may be the result if a government experiment that went wrong and even that they are trying to hunt the thing down and kill it.

Really? Bonaparte's younger, less hip brother Joseph was supposedly hunting the thing around 1820. I don't think the govt was into experiments that far back.

Edited by Antilles

Now that is one story I've never heard, unless you are being sarcastic?

Though supposedly Mother Leeds gave birth to the Jersey Devil in the 1735. I don't see it being possible to have the equipment to make such a thing happen back then.

I'd more believe her actually giving birth to the thing than that. :yes:

How is it not dead yet, Do you know how old it must be.

How is it not dead yet, Do you know how old it must be.

Wayy older than you and I. lol

Wayy older than you and I. lol

Yeah by a Lot!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this thread died quickly. :c

I will not lose hope though! I'm still curious.

I think the original witness sketches of the Jersey Devil look remarkably like the hammer-headed bat. They're pretty big, the largest bat in Africa. Maybe one somehow ended up i New Jersey and caused mass panic among the locals.

post-127455-0-43473400-1379541828_thumb.

post-127455-0-33539800-1379541851_thumb.

Here they are side-by-side.

wow that bat looks pretty awsome

• Like 2

I think the original witness sketches of the Jersey Devil look remarkably like the hammer-headed bat. They're pretty big, the largest bat in Africa. Maybe one somehow ended up i New Jersey and caused mass panic among the locals.

post-127455-0-43473400-1379541828_thumb.

post-127455-0-33539800-1379541851_thumb.

Here they are side-by-side.

Interesting. I can see how similar they do look!

If it's true, how the heck did a bat from Africa get here?

Check out my post in the Crypto forum - all you need to know about TJD.

Thanks, I'll go look for it now. :tsu: