Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are you 100% anything?

Roy Perry

That was vaguely disturbing somehow, and I'm not quite sure what message you were trying to convey.

Am I 100% sure of anything? Yes. Yes I am. I am 100% sure that I am a human being.

mostly

this now a beta athiest thread

post-101033-0-86274600-1378680539_thumb.

Edited by Shrine Builder

I think what Ron says is true. Doubt is just as important as belief. I'm sure we've all known people who presume to be 100% sure of their belief or doubt. I would say a healthy mixture of both is more healthy than some stern, egocentric righteousness.

I also think some kind-hearted understanding of Mr. Ron Perry would go a long way in eliminating some of the more flippant and even cruel comments I read in his threads. Mr. Perry should be given the same respect we should give to everyone who posts here at UM.

Those who disrespect or do not take Mr. Perry's efforts with some compassion should spend a few days in his shoes. They may learn something about themselves.

• Like 3

[media=]

[/media]

Thank you for the post Roy! I'm certainly not 100% - my walk is a real stumble - but I KEEP WALKING!
  • Like 1

I am 100% agnostic Roy. I don't know.

I don't think that I'll ever know and, I don't think that I was ever 'meant' to know.

Some were 'blessed with their certainties', not me. :)

• Like 3

Interesting...

But I don't really have anything to say. But now I do have something to think about :P

I have become 100% sure of three things since watching that video.

1. I'm 100% sure that I watched it to try and not blink through the whole thing.

2. I'm 100% sure I blinked right towards the end. (Dammit!) And now my eyes feel funny.

3. I'm 100% sure that you would get better responses if you typed the narrative rather than having Microsoft Sam speak it.

• Like 1

I am 100% agnostic Roy. I don't know.

I don't think that I'll ever know and, I don't think that I was ever 'meant' to know.

Some were 'blessed with their certainties', not me. :)

What he was getting at a little in there was that even those who claim to be 'blessed with their certainties' often do so out of pride, and aren't being completely truthful.

It is healthy to have doubt of something, or seeing it from an opposing viewpoint, because it opens you up to other possibilities and ways of seeing, and broadens your horizons, even if only for a glance of a 'what if'. This is something I have trouble doing with beliefs or opinions I hold. It's messages like his that are helpful in remembering.

I feel outside sources (as in sources other than your conscious self) come through in art, which is what you make in videos, Roy. I do the same, and enjoy the outlet, and seeing what may come up on the screen. I bet you do, too.

Edited by _Only

I'm posting from my phone so I didn't watch the video. Based on other replies I will say that doubt is an essential part of faith. Without doubt, faith cannot be challenged, and without being challenged faith can never grow. I'm paraphrasing the main character from Life of Pi here, a movie I saw for the first time just a couple of days ago for the first time, and a movie I thought was really well done, particularly in how it approached matters of spirituality.

• Like 1

I'm posting from my phone so I didn't watch the video. Based on other replies I will say that doubt is an essential part of faith. Without doubt, faith cannot be challenged, and without being challenged faith can never grow. I'm paraphrasing the main character from Life of Pi here, a movie I saw for the first time just a couple of days ago for the first time, and a movie I thought was really well done, particularly in how it approached matters of spirituality.

A little bit off topic but: I really enjoyed the movie too - but I wish they never revealed the truth. I would have preferred his fantasy to the reality.

It annoyed me because the reality could have made almost as good a movie as his coping mechanisms did.

As far as religion, I think it is natural for humans to seek, to question, to want to verify, to explore. Yet, I believe there are 100% believers out there. They'd die for their god and subject their children to possible atrocities for their beliefs.

Does that mean a day never goes by where they think "god, are you even there?" No, I don't think that either.

I had a missionary tell me once, "I wish people wouldn't think of us as somehow supernaturally spiritual. Completely free of temptations and questions and doubt."

Religious belief is malleable, subjective, and very personal. It's subject to the believer: Mood, health, circumstances, peers, environment, influences, spouses, etc

Can a believer stay on a pretty much straight 100% belief path. Sure, but is it free of even occasional wavering. I don't believe it ever is for anyone.

Theres very little I'm 100% sure of. I'm an Aethiest but I've often considered wether Agnostic is a better title. I don't actively disbelieve in god, I don't think He's real and I don't think that He would serve any useful purpose if he was but I'm not stupid enough to pretend I know for sure.

Whats more I like to argue about it, theres no point arguing if you are certain and have no chance of changing your opinion.

I am 100% positively sure that I know myself better than anyone else. (Well, other than my mother. I did come from her womb afterall!)

And there isn't anyone on this planet than can tell me otherwise. (Again, cept for my mother).

To which I think is awesome, because I can confidently remain quiet even when faced with absolute absurdity. The skill of holding one's tongue can be quiet an achievement.

Kind Regards :)

• Like 1

Doubt and questioning are an essential part of what makes us human beings. If you never doubt, never question, you are not a human being, but merely a human doing.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

A little bit off topic but: I really enjoyed the movie too - but I wish they never revealed the truth. I would have preferred his fantasy to the reality.

It annoyed me because the reality could have made almost as good a movie as his coping mechanisms did.

Yes it is off topic, but the theme in the movie fit the mood of the thread. I disagree, I like how the movie ended, it fits in with the natural-vs-spiritual themes broached at the start, and we're left with a choice - the naturalistic approach that he dealt with trauma in the best way he could, or the fantastic approach that he experienced something no one else ever has. What do you "believe"? I'm sure Pi's father would use "reason and logic" as he chowed down on a lamb curry. His mother may ask Pi to look what's in his heart.

Pi himself would probably go back to what mamaji said - an Indian in French Canada will tell you a story that will make you believe in God. I choose to believe that within the fictitious realm of the movie, Pi really did experience what he did, people simply couldn't accept it.

This would probably make an excellent topical discussion, actually. Maybe I'll start a thread if I have time.

Edited by Paranoid Android

I am also 100% Agnostic cause I can't prove nor disprove that God is real (Gods and Goddesses).

And I am an agnostic cause I doubt everything and that doubt is what makes me read and investigate to 'try' to find the truth.

• Like 1

Yes it is off topic, but the theme in the movie fit the mood of the thread. I disagree, I like how the movie ended, it fits in with the natural-vs-spiritual themes broached at the start, and we're left with a choice - the naturalistic approach that he dealt with trauma in the best way he could, or the fantastic approach that he experienced something no one else ever has. What do you "believe"? I'm sure Pi's father would use "reason and logic" as he chowed down on a lamb curry. His mother may ask Pi to look what's in his heart.

Pi himself would probably go back to what mamaji said - an Indian in French Canada will tell you a story that will make you believe in God. I choose to believe that within the fictitious realm of the movie, Pi really did experience what he did, people simply couldn't accept it.

This would probably make an excellent topical discussion, actually. Maybe I'll start a thread if I have time.

Point me towards the thread if you start one.

But give me truth over fantasy anyday. Pi could not handle the reality.

I'm 100% sure I have a lot to learn about life, the Universe and everything.

Are you 100% anything?

Hi Roy Perry,

Most non-Christian mystics will say that we are not a thing -- a "no-thing." Now that I'm a Christian, I have to believe that I am a thing, who believes in a concrete Heaven and a tangible God.

Peace.

I am 100 percent free!

I am one with nature.. and have become friends and talk to the animals...

I sleep under the moon and get the magic power from it!!!