Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange interests

Nighthawk9653

Can interests be passed down from parents? Like without the parent ever showing the child their interest?

Like if a parent loved archery or sword fighting, or perhaps loved history class in school, and had a child but immediately gave it up for adoption, later in life would the child start to have the same interests as the parent? Even without contact with the parent?

Also, what could cause interests in strange things? Could it happen through experience or past lives? Or just from the way our brain develops?

• Like 1

I sometimes think so I am very fond of martial arts. And I have the natural ability to throw punches and kicks.

But I never officially trained.

I am thinking of at least learning moves on Youtube or something just to stay fit

and self defense of course.

Also my ancestors loved singing. I do sing and write poetry a lot! So it all makes sense.

Im interested in serial killers, I dont think many people in my family are though, definately not my parents

• Like 1

I think some of our interests are determined genetically. Talents, for interest. We all have similarities with our parents and grand parents, but also our genetic makeup is unique to us.

As far as strange interests go, what is considered strange is relative to the norms of one's society. There are societies who's norm seem strange to other society's.

The only strange interest I have I think is in writing odd stories I put in my blog. My imagination has always been out there somewhere.

• Like 1

I think some things might be hereditary, or learned.

I'm more partial to believe in learned interests.

For example: My parents are musicians.

Every saturday, around 1996-1997, there would be a dozen musicians at my house.

My parents would host these jams, and I remember running around, playing, listening to the music, interacting with the musicians. Or even playing with a little toy guitar and 'sitting-in' on some of the jams.

Was it coincidence that I decided to pick up the guitar at fourteen? It was just something I decided to do spontaneously.

It might be a learned interest because of my environment as an impressionable child, and being exposed to music.

Because of that, learned interests make a lot more sense to me.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi

Its kind of a scary thought thinking that your interests were already picked out for you before you were born. I mean I dont think that but others do.

Edited by ReaperS_ParadoX