Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How wise is to answer alien signals the wow

qxcontinuum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal

The Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected by Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while he was working on a SETI project at the Big Ear radio telescope of The Ohio State University, then located at Ohio Wesleyan University's Perkins Observatory in Delaware, Ohio.[1] The signal bore the expected hallmarks of non-terrestrial and non-Solar System origin. It lasted for the full 72-second window that Big Ear was able to observe it, but has not been detected again. The signal has been the subject of significant media attention.

Amazed at how closely the signal matched the expected signature of an interstellar signal in the antenna used, Ehman circled the signal on the computer printout and wrote the comment "Wow!" on its side. This comment became the name of the signal.[1]

In 2012, on the 35th anniversary of the Wow! signal, Arecibo Observatory beamed a response from humanity, containing 10,000 Twitter messages, in the direction from which the signal originated.[13][14] In the response, Arecibo scientists have attempted to increase the chances of intelligent life receiving and decoding the celebrity videos and crowd-sourced Tweets by attaching a repeating sequence header to each message that will let the recipient know that the messages are intentional and from another intelligent life form.[14]

Edited by qxcontinuum

In 2012, on the 35th anniversary of the Wow! signal, Arecibo Observatory beamed a response from humanity, containing 10,000 Twitter messages, in the direction from which the signal originated

Oh god, not messages from Twitter. If there was any reason to annihilate this planet, that would be it.

• Like 9

Oh god, not messages from Twitter. If there was any reason to annihilate this planet, that would be it.

As well as the part about making it easier to decode celebrity videos? Does the scientific community really want our first ambassadors with E.T. to be dipsh*t hollywood media whores, I can't believe my eyes.

• Like 1

So are you asking "Was this a good idea"?

Sure why not. Gotta be in it to win it. If aliens land and BBQ you up though, do not complain.

So has this Wow signal been given as proof for intelligent life out there, or has it been debunked as our own signals bouncing back at us off something?

I'd say they should decode the message before they send one back. In case it reads "Ping me back if you want our Galactic Fleet to scorch your planet and harvest all your water/oil/minerals etc."

• Like 2

So has this Wow signal been given as proof for intelligent life out there, or has it been debunked as our own signals bouncing back at us off something?

I'd say they should decode the message before they send one back. In case it reads "Ping me back if you want our Galactic Fleet to scorch your planet and harvest all your water/oil/minerals etc."

Neither, many people in both camps, what nobody can deny is that this is exactly what we expect an Alien signal to look exactly like.

72 seconds it lasted. If it was ET, they used a 2.2-gigawatt transmitter, vastly more powerful than any on Earth.

WIki says:

The circled alphanumeric code 6EQUJ5 describes the intensity variation of the signal. A space denotes an intensity between 0 and 1, the numbers 1 to 9 denote the correspondingly numbered intensities (from 1.000 to 10.000), and intensities of 10.0 and above are denoted by a letter ('A' corresponds to intensities between 10.0 and 11.0, 'B' to 11.0 to 12.0, etc.). The value 'U' (an intensity between 30.0 and 31.0) was the highest detected by the radio telescope; on a linear scale it was over 30 times louder than normal deep space.[1] The intensity in this case is the unitless signal-to-noise ratio, where noise was averaged for that band over the previous few minutes.[2]

Two different values for its frequency have been given: 1420.356 MHz (J. D. Kraus) and 1420.4556 MHz (J. R. Ehman). The frequency 1420 MHz is significant for SETI searchers because, it is reasoned, hydrogen is the most common element in the universe, and hydrogen resonates at about 1420 MHz, so extraterrestrials might use that frequency to transmit a strong signal.[1] The frequency of the Wow! signal matches very closely with the hydrogen line, which is at 1420.40575177 MHz. The two different values given for the frequency of the Wow! signal (1420.356 MHz and 1420.4556 MHz) are the same distance apart from the hydrogen line—the first being about 0.0498 MHz less than the hydrogen line, and the second about 0.0498 MHz more. The bandwidth of the signal is less than 10 kHz(each column on the printout corresponds to a 10 kHz-wide channel; the signal is only present in one column).

• Like 3

Thats just it, from what i have read the actual message was nothing more than a few random numbers and letters, not sure of the actual significance though, I admit. Could likely have been a beam from the numerous probes en route to places in our own solar system or the extra solar voyager probes.

800px-Wow_signal.jpg

Thats just it, from what i have read the actual message was nothing more than a few random numbers and letters, not sure of the actual significance though, I admit. Could likely have been a beam from the numerous probes en route to places in our own solar system or the extra solar voyager probes.

800px-Wow_signal.jpg

Yep, the big deal is the time variation, again from Wiki:

The Big Ear telescope was fixed and used the rotation of the Earth to scan the sky. At the speed of the Earth's rotation, and given the width of the Big Ear's observation "window", the Big Ear could observe any given point for just 72 seconds. A continuous extraterrestrial signal, therefore, would be expected to register for exactly 72 seconds, and the recorded intensity of that signal would show a gradual peaking for the first 36 seconds—until the signal reached the center of Big Ear's observation "window"— and then a gradual decrease.

Therefore, both the length of the Wow! signal, 72 seconds, and the shape of the intensity graph may correspond to an extraterrestrial origin

Neither, many people in both camps, what nobody can deny is that this is exactly what we expect an Alien signal to look exactly like.

72 seconds it lasted. If it was ET, they used a 2.2-gigawatt transmitter, vastly more powerful than any on Earth.

WIki says:

The circled alphanumeric code 6EQUJ5 describes the intensity variation of the signal. A space denotes an intensity between 0 and 1, the numbers 1 to 9 denote the correspondingly numbered intensities (from 1.000 to 10.000), and intensities of 10.0 and above are denoted by a letter ('A' corresponds to intensities between 10.0 and 11.0, 'B' to 11.0 to 12.0, etc.). The value 'U' (an intensity between 30.0 and 31.0) was the highest detected by the radio telescope; on a linear scale it was over 30 times louder than normal deep space.[1] The intensity in this case is the unitless signal-to-noise ratio, where noise was averaged for that band over the previous few minutes.[2]

Two different values for its frequency have been given: 1420.356 MHz (J. D. Kraus) and 1420.4556 MHz (J. R. Ehman). The frequency 1420 MHz is significant for SETI searchers because, it is reasoned, hydrogen is the most common element in the universe, and hydrogen resonates at about 1420 MHz, so extraterrestrials might use that frequency to transmit a strong signal.[1] The frequency of the Wow! signal matches very closely with the hydrogen line, which is at 1420.40575177 MHz. The two different values given for the frequency of the Wow! signal (1420.356 MHz and 1420.4556 MHz) are the same distance apart from the hydrogen line—the first being about 0.0498 MHz less than the hydrogen line, and the second about 0.0498 MHz more. The bandwidth of the signal is less than 10 kHz(each column on the printout corresponds to a 10 kHz-wide channel; the signal is only present in one column).

So the WOW signal was actually nothing more than a measure of the frequencies involved to deliver the signal, not necessarily an actual message to be decyphered then?

So the WOW signal was actually nothing more than a measure of the frequencies involved to deliver the signal, not necessarily an actual message to be decyphered then?

Reading through that again, I do have to say wow. It may have been a directed beam from a far off radio capable world, it would take intelligence to know the resonancy of hydrogen. Which if this is a legitamate is amazing as they are likely from a planet similar to earths. Cool.

• Like 1

As what I know there are many alien & ET visiting us often, they rarely communicate with us loudly.

So I doubt the Wow singal was come from intelegence being, may be it just from......

As what I know there are many alien & ET visiting us often, they rarely communicate with us loudly.

So I doubt the Wow singal was come from intelegence being, may be it just from......

Really, you will take anecdotal accounts over something that has been verified. I'm not saying the WOW signal was from a 20th century equivalent alien civilization, but it has more sway than contactees spout. Rememer, when David Icke claimed he was the second coming messiah ala Jesus Christ in the 1970s? Majority of the flagship personas in UFOology today have been proven charlatans and snake oil salesmans. Damn went on a rant my bad

• Like 2

You say we've actually been visited by aliens but disregard the possibility that a signal from deep space might be ET...

Wow

• Like 3

Really, you will take anecdotal accounts over something that has been verified. I'm not saying the WOW signal was from a 20th century equivalent alien civilization, but it has more sway than contactees spout. Rememer, when David Icke claimed he was the second coming messiah ala Jesus Christ in the 1970s? Majority of the flagship personas in UFOology today have been proven charlatans and snake oil salesmans. Damn went on a rant my bad

My comment is base on my own 8 years encounters & not from the shop of charlatans and snake oil salesmans:

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=112135

then the Wow sound, only god knows.

You say we've actually been visited by aliens but disregard the possibility that a signal from deep space might be ET...

most of them are not so civilized, ET only took 5% in my total visitation.

Edited by Star Man

it would be nice for the people like you that say you 'know' that et's are visiting us often.. would actually provide proof.. no just blurred photo's and testimonies from some people..

actually the best proof rather then a photograph because it would be hard to prove real..

have your alien mates give you a scientific formula that has not been developed on earth.. lets say.. a new way of smelting a new alloy .. that works mind you.. then that would be good proof.

As for the Wow signal.. that one is truly a enigma

it would be nice for the people like you that say you 'know' that et's are visiting us often.. would actually provide proof.. no just blurred photo's and testimonies from some people..

actually the best proof rather then a photograph because it would be hard to prove real..

have your alien mates give you a scientific formula that has not been developed on earth.. lets say.. a new way of smelting a new alloy .. that works mind you.. then that would be good proof.

I believe star man will show you the alien photos....for a price. :-* I think he mentioned this on his blog.

• Like 1

" In the past, there were several unexplained and intriguing signals detected in SETI experiments. Perhaps the most famous of these was the “Wow” signal picked up at the Ohio State Radio Observatory in 1977. However, none of these signals was ever detected again, and for scientists that’s not good enough to claim success and boogie off to Stockholm to collect a Nobel Prize. Who would believe cold fusion unless many researchers could duplicate it in their labs? The same is true of extraterrestrial signals: they are credible only when they can be found more than once." ( http://www.seti.org/faq ) [ Section: III ]

I would say that the WOW! signal was just a unexplainable fluke. Had it been heard/discovered again since it's initial appearance then it would certainly be more credible, I'll agree.

But seeing as it's only happened once there isn't anything of substance that can be based on it. Not unless, when the WOW signal was discovered, there was a momentarily cross over in parallel universes and we just happened to receive something that was maybe meant for another time in another section of space. And that is just me thinking outside of the box, based on unknown factors of hypothetical rhetoric.

:tu: Nice thread, OP!

• Like 1

I always think of the WOW signal as sort of a last gasp from a dying world. A desperate last cry for help perhaps. Depressing I know but that's what I think seeing as how they never picked it up again.

• Like 4

I always think of the WOW signal as sort of a last gasp from a dying world. A desperate last cry for help perhaps. Depressing I know but that's what I think seeing as how they never picked it up again.

Oh yes, that is something I have considered as well. And I will agree that it is a very sad thought.

I do wonder if the WOW signal actually contained any useful information or any kind of communication. I'm really not sure how it could be decoded in a form that would make sense to us. It might be akin to having a thick sized book with only one sentence in it. The rest of the pages are blank. How utterly annoying would that be?

Kind Regards

• Like 1

Entirely possible, as well it would have been a "hello, is anyone out there too." Unfortunately we will never know, but just as possible. :tu:

In the same time could be a whole lot more. We translated to mathematical numbers and to us is just a bunch of numbers as of now but maybe it was meant to be something else. I guess it is hard to think differently but if we want to look for life out there we must be ready to leave outside the equations every axiomas we built on earth and think differently.

• Like 1

I do answer this question many times in this forum. then I know you may looking for clear photo of alien nut&bolt craft , sorry most aliens already useing new techinc :clap: for their craft------ bio- ship. this is why their images are looked blurry: reference article

http://ufo-spacelife.blogspot.co.nz/2013/01/why-most-ufo-photos-are-blurry.html

here is what I posted in another thread:

"Even scientists are study burry ufo images. here are that report and information, have a look it. there any non blurry UFO in these document? do you know why most the real ufos must looked blurry(expecially the ufo light balls)? it does not matter what kind of HD camera are you using.

http://www.scientificexploration.org/journal/jse_18_2_teodorani.pdf

http://www.narcap.org/Projsphere/narcap_ProjSph_2.4_MaxTeo.pdf "

"my ufo photos are similar to Hessdalen light ball, they study with their method( out side of the light ball, all the information and data for it) and I study my way ( what is inside of them). I rarely talk about nut & bolt craft. see their blurry photos: http://web.archive.o...2_teodorani.pdf " :no::w00t:

they didi not give me a scientific formula, instead that they teach me some Aerobiology for decode ufo enigma :tu:

Edited by Star Man

I do answer this question many times in this forum. then I know you may looking for clear photo of alien nut&bolt craft , sorry most aliens already useing new techinc :clap: for their craft------ bio- ship. this is why their images are looked blurry.

here is what I posted in another thread:

"Even scientists are study burry ufo images. here are that report and information, have a look it. there any non blurry UFO in these document? do you know why most the real ufos must looked blurry(expecially the ufo light balls)? it does not matter what kind of HD camera are you using.

http://www.scientificexploration.org/journal/jse_18_2_teodorani.pdf

http://www.narcap.org/Projsphere/narcap_ProjSph_2.4_MaxTeo.pdf "

"my ufo photos are similar to Hessdalen light ball, they study with their method( out side of the light ball, all the information and data for it) and I study my way ( what is inside of them). I rarely talk about nut & bolt craft. see their blurry photos: http://web.archive.o...2_teodorani.pdf " :no::w00t:

they didi not give me a scientific formula, instead that they teach me some Aerobiology for decode ufo enigma :tu:

as I said.. photo's are not proof.. nor testimonies..

saying they are bio ships that is why the pics are blurry.. is to be honest.. a large bucket of bs.. that is just a poor excuse to try and prove its real..

yes the gullible will be sucked in by it.. more fool them..

tell you what.. when you have some real evidence such as a mathematical formula "that works not this Aerobiology bs" come back and astound us..

• Like 1

here is my early study about the AIien's signal:

Synchronize

http://ufo-spacelife...teristic-2.html

.........For other space life, especially the simple life form, when a large number of them flies at same time (few to hundred). They were in a few groups but each group keeps a distance and each group had same number of aliens. More astonishing is that all the groups are arranged to the same shape and fly in the same direction; which makes it look as if there are a few monsters hovering in the sky. From the video you can see that they all move in the same pattern.

How they are so smart? They certainly don’t have early practice or training like us. Then they must have some sort of communication method to organize such a large scale air show. If we humans do not know about this secret, how can we search for their signals in space?

Edited by Star Man