Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Don't trespass please

rashore

It's rolling around that time of year again.. Ghost hunters out on the fall prowl.

It never fails to amaze me that some people think that trespassing is ok. A minor offense. Something that is not a biggie in light of possibly getting a good experience.

How would you feel if strangers showed up on your property looking for a good time, are curious about stories told, seeking a place to get spooky jollies or do nefarious deeds? How would you feel if these people were so invasive that you had to regularly have the police in your area because of it?

Seriously- imagine for a moment you or your loved ones having people wandering around in the dead of night trying to capture ghost experience, no matter how many signs you put up not to do so, how many times you call the cops? How about mom getting the beejeebers scared out of her at three AM because some local rumor put a ghost in her back yard?

Or how about potentially getting the crap sued out of you because some ghost seeker hurt themselves on your property? Or having your homeowners insurance skyrocket or even be denied because your property is rife with strangers you have no control over?

How would you feel if you were a security officer or police that has to up patrol on a vacant property, cemetery, or woods because it's that time of year when all sorts of people feel it's ok to trespass, and the boss says patrol more? Or gotten in major trouble because you missed that one trespasser that made the news?

How would you feel if you were the owner having to hire or call in regularly because of such things?

How would you feel if some spook seeker broke your family member tombstone, or left litter all over their grave because of their want of something paranormal? Or otherwise damaged your property?

How would you feel if some folks came onto your property and burned structures down?

How would you feel if YOU were the ghost seeker and you really hurt yourself on the hunt? Had to explain to the ER or paramedics about how you got the injuries you did? If you ended up lost as hell in some area and didn't know where to go? If you finally trudged out and found out your car was ticketed, towed, or locked up?

Don't trespass please. Yes, it seems like such a minor offense. And one that hurrah you got away with. But it is a big reason why a lot of folks don't like ghost hunters. Darn folks tromping around doing damage, or causing problems. It's illegal. It's a total lack of respect. It's something kids do that don't give an eff about anything but themselves.

I've seen stories about trespassers that have gotten hurt. Been held at gunpoint. Gotten away scott free and crowed about their experience.

AND IT'S A RULE THING ON UM... TRESPASSING IS ONE OF THE ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES MENTIONED IN THE RULES AS A DO NOT DO, DISCUSS, OR POST ABOUT DOING ACTIVITIES!!!

Yep, you might have a fine story about I did illegal and experienced this.. But really, if you are willing to do illegal, what does that say about your credibility? If you are illegal and post against forum rules about it, what does that say about your credibility? If you are willing to do illegal things to get a story, it might also be you are willing to do other not nice things to get a story across.

Most places that have reputations have some sort of contact information or rules about people coming onto the property. Some places are 100% off limits, some have business hours, some don't care at all. Find out what the legality is before you go.

• Like 5

Some people are too stupid to realize a lot of people would just allow them on their property if they would ask... My mom works for Yoplait and they bought an old hotel in town that's supposedly haunted. It's even featured in hauntedhouses[dot]com. But we asked, and we're going to be able to spend a weekend in there.

Here's the building: http://www.hauntedhouses.com/states/mi/osceola_inn.htm

• Like 4

Some people are too stupid to realize a lot of people would just allow them on their property if they would ask... My mom works for Yoplait and they bought an old hotel in town that's supposedly haunted. It's even featured in hauntedhouses[dot]com. But we asked, and we're going to be able to spend a weekend in there.

Here's the building: http://www.hauntedho...osceola_inn.htm

Thank you for this..

And I wouldn't say too stupid... Just too uncaring or too respectful... Or just too damn lazy or don't give a flying rats butt about other people. Trespassing is a crime that is usually easy to avoid. Don't go where you don't know, and usually it's rather easy to learn if it's ok or not to access the property, and when or not to access it.

• Like 1

They've got it all organized in my neck of the woods!.....

http://www.ghosthunt...uk/pluckley.php

Damn why didn't I think of this at Abbots Leigh Woods,Bristol, where there have been strange sightings of Witches dancing around naked.
  • Like 1

I'm afraid I'm kinda guilty of this myself. I wasn't ghost hunting, but about a month ago, a cop caught me climbing over the wall to get into an old cemetery adjoining a nearby old church I wanted to take pics of. The gate was locked and it's in a quiet country area so I decided to hop the wall (who was even going to notice?). I heard his car drive past and he shouted at me just as I was jumping down the other side and I looked back and saw him looking at me quite angrily.

However, he was decent about it. When he saw the SLR camera hanging from my shoulder and the fact that I was with my 10 year old nephew and I explained I meant no harm, I just came to snap some pics of the church and cemetery, he told me I was okay. Said he'd be after me if any damage was reported, but I could go ahead and do my thing as long as I didn't cause any damage. He was only worried because sometimes teenagers used it at weekends as a drinking den and damage had been done recently to some old graves.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 1

People should be smarter when they decide to go investigate an area. Of course it's someone else's property and it makes all the sense in the world for them to be kicked off of it for trespassing. Just because we're hoping to find something beyond this world doesn't mean we're immune to the laws and decency of this one. :rolleyes:

I got caught scrumping apples in the Vicars orchard when I was 10 yrs old,his dog kept me up the tree for 2 hours,then he came and gave me a lecture,but let me keep the apples.I've never stolen anything since.