Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Random Flash of White Bright Light

Dewdropsofbliss

• 1 month later...

Ok as everyone else is doing this I am going to share my own experience, quite a recent one at that.

I have been living in my new house in Ickenham just three months now, quite literally three days ago my alarm had just gone off at 06:58 ready for work, I sat up in a complete pitch black room and walked across the outside of my bed ready to leave the room, as I approached my girlfriends side of the bed suddenly the brightest pure white light blinked and filled the entire room, it was like a camera flash of pure white light that appeared from nowhere and lasted probably half a second. I immediately said to my girlfriend "what the **** was that, did you see that flash?", she groaned that she didn't so though shaken I dismissed it and went to work as usual.

The next day I brought it up with her as I was concerned I was potentially having eye problems and she confessed that she had indeed seen it but didn't want to spook me at the time she then told me she had seen them all around the house about 3 or 4 times sometimes in the kitchen and other times in the centre of the living room, in complete thin air. As soon as she told me this I suddenly remembered I had also seen these flashes at other times, once behind her head as she walked into the room and once when we where both on holiday in Italy when the room lit up in the middle of the night for no reason. None of these flashes appear when I'm on my own they only appear when I'm with her. 

After we discussed this and went to bed I began hearing talking coming from the hallway, a very distinct voice of a slightly older woman talking to a very gruff sounding man, I thought this might be coming from next door until I heard words like "Thats the guy lying over their, look", "Is he awake?", "He can't hear us can he, no he can't" and "Try and wake him up will you", this was followed by a fuzzing noise and then silence.

This is not the first odd thing that has happened since moving in, the first night me and my girlfriend slept I saw the outline of a little boy standing in the hallway looking in to our bedroom, I stared at the figure for a few moments and then it came towards me but quickly disappeared, I dismissed this as me being tired, I had been lugging furniture all day. On the second or third night my girlfriend burst into hysterical laughter in the middle of the night whilst asleep, which woke me up in a panic, it was really mad crazy cackling like that of the classic stereotypical witch. A month later on the first night I was alone in the house the next morning someone had left a little gift for me on my door mat outside the house of a tied ribbon and the next night I was alone someone left me an egg?, I'm not sure who put it there but it was placed directly in the middle of the mat so clearly someone wanted me to see it.

We have also noticed things going missing only to re-appear later, the fridge door swinging open by itself, a little rhythmic tapping noise on the walls and the strange smell of cigarettes in the hallway, despite none of us smoking. None of this has really bothered us too much but it is very strange.

I keep having the strangest thoughts pop into my head when in the house of a child dressed in 1600's clothing playing in a field and suddenly falling over...?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You had angelic experience . So have I . I had beam of lighting come from the ceiling spread out like lighting in my living room it done 5 times. It freak me out but was so beautiful so bright should burned your eyes but it didn't,  U need to listen it's an Angel trying to tell u something. I never heard anything maybe it will come again. Don't be scared. Angels are from heaven u were chosen.

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Krayphysh said:

Anyone ever figure out what we saw?

I guess no one knows for sure,  my guess is that we are surrounded it by a multitude of energy forms, some that are indescribable and mysterious, I hope one day will know.

Edited by EllieBowers

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I have lots paranormal stuff to talk about but instead of my life story let's talk about the thing that just happened like an hour ago. So I fell asleep on the couch and I woke up around 4:00 am. This usually happens a lot. Coincidentally I have some 4am paranormal incident but that's for a whole other post. Anyways I closed my eyes and tried to drift off back to sleep but five minutes later I have my eyes closed and all I see is black, typical right? But then suddenly everything just went bright yellow. It startled me really badly because I didn't know what it was and I still don't. Then on the wall a bright white perfect square appeared and it lasted a couple seconds. My heart was beating super fast and I was trying to come up with reasonable explanations "like oh it's just my parents turning the light on the hall way and it shined into the living room" nope. I tested that theory and when I did turn the hallway light on it wasn't the same as the light I saw. Now I'm just sitting around waiting for sunrise to come. I'm still shaking.

• Like 1

This happened to me while staying at my bfs house last year. We were laying in bed in the pitch black and all of a sudden we both saw a huge flash of light right in front of us it was like someone took a picture of us with the flash on, only lasted a second. We were both freaked out but it happened 2 more times literally straight after that in different parts of the room but they were smaller lights. I'm so glad my bf saw it too because when I tell people they think I'm weird. We slept with the lamp on for days after. Haven't seen it since, although my bf said he saw it once before we both saw it together while he was at uni in his room. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to have found this post and relieved I am not the only one that has experienced this. On March 16th, around 3:30am, I experienced a bright flash in my bedroom. My lights were off, tv off, blinds closed, no street lights gleaming in...no rain or thunderstorm had occurred. I live in the suburbs of Los Angeles..When the bright light flashed, I was not able to identify the area of source, I just know it evenly lit up my bedroom and was very bright. Moments before the unexplained incident happened, I woke up to my 15-year-old daughter who was talking in her sleep and was sleeping with me this particular night. As I was half asleep guiding my daughter who was half way leaning out of the bed, reaching for a mirror decor I have on my nightstand, that is when the burst of white flash occurred. Please do not tell me the flash was due to a reflection bouncing off the mirror. If you saw this bright flash.....sigh, I am still frustrated weeks later to not know what caused the flash.....however, I just learned yesterday, my cousin passed away 2 days ago...could this be a connection? I am not religious, but am a believer in science.....I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Edited by alohaspirit

Various causes create light flashes in the eye, something called photopsia. Seeing inexplicable light flashes is usually harmless, but could be symptomatic of a serious condition requiring urgent medical care. Photopsia usually originates within the eye itself, but also occurs due to disorders affecting visual nerve pathways in the brain

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Something's have been happening at my house for the past day as well and they are starting to creep me out. 

Two days ago, I woke up to a baby crying. I have two younger siblings but the oldest one is 5 now donit couldn't have been her. It sounded like it was coming from the attic, right above out living room. Also sounded like there was someone wearing big heavy boots on the attic floor. Upon inspection, no evidence was found that someone had been up there. At first I thought that maybe it was raccoons but there was not proof that there was an animal there either. Since. Orhung was found, my family and I decided to dismiss it as me hearing things. 

Yesterday, my dad heard some people talking in the floor of the basement while he was working. He couldn't make out what they were saying but he knew that they weee talking.

now the strangest of the three. Today I woke up and heard the baby crying and even more footsteps than before. Then as quickly as it started, it stopped. Later during they day, I was cleaning to distract myself. While vacuuming, a large ball of bright, white light appeared behind me. I checkout the perimeter of the property and saw no one to create a flash. There was nothing that the  light could reflect off of and it wasn't a light in the house or a car driving by.

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2016 at 3:38 PM, Redefining Success said:

How many one post wonders on this thread? 

now 14

36 posts in this topic

14 with 1 

7 with 2

4 with 3 

1 with 4

interesting prime/composite pattern 

ingredients for an unsolved mystery

or not :alien:

maybe just a place people end up searching bright light in the house and then move on

Clearly, one of the major symptoms/indicators of photopsia is amnesia.  The sufferers all seem to have an initial high sense of drama that diminishes to below detectable levels after a few moments and is thenceforth completely forgotten.

Hence they post on this forum, desperately asking for help, and then ... er ..  ..   ... sorry .. what was I going on about?

Or maybe it's just the one troll person with way too much time on their hands, and an almost unbelievably obscure sense of 'humor' (term used very, very loosely).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'll bite,

My thing happened more then 30 years ago and the memory i have of it is surely "corrupted". Although i clearly remember a ball of light flying towards me and blowing in my face, and also something going upwards in that explosion. I rarely shared this **** and never got a rational justification to it, also never thought about angels and fairy's, or ufo/aliens for that matter as a proper explanation for it, plasma balls? weird fumes? food poisoning? maybe the later could be an acceptable cause. The thing is that with internet you can share this **** and compare experiences quicker and comfortably, thought i still have no answer to what happened i don't mind sharing, i care.

Now, all i know about troll's is that they must be kept away from bright lights and you shouldn't feed them after midnight. =)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

dude same thing happened to me with a white bright light flashing above me, I looked around if anyone saw and no one noticed anything and I was at work and it was snowing outside so there was no lightning, what the **** happened?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the bright light myself.On Sept.16,2015. I went to bed at 8:30 p.m. I tossed and turned feeling very uneasy. I felt something was not right. Got up to get a drink my daughter joined me in the kitchen. She told me she was feeling very strange.  She told me she felt something bad was going to happen. The time was at this point  9:45. We went back to our bedrooms. I crawl back into my bed and 10 min later a bright light lite up my room. It was a pure white light almost looked like cotton. It actually blinded me for a second. The light came from right beside me where I laid. Not long after I saw the bright light.... My 23 year old son was killed.  Ive been trying to figure out what the light and my sons death have in common. 

Edited by Brokenheartedmom
Forgot date of incident
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sometimes we just dont realize the connection we have with the spirit world.. in some people it's strong and in others its weak or not even there.  I look at it as a gift. Yes i have the ability to see and feel what is about to happen. The first time it happened to me that is the spirit telling me to move away from where i was standing with some friends... i was 7 years old. Two of my friends and i were playing at iur friends house and we were waiting for her to come home..they had a dog named pinky she was a Shepherd we got one of her puppys when they were born.they were half Lab and half Sheppard.  We waited out front of there garage i began to feel uneasy and scared. Something was warning me to run. So i did. My friends asked what was wrong. I told them that we were in danger. Now i was seven years old when this happened. When my friend came home they found there dog strung up in the garage with her belly slit open. I felt fear that day for the first time. The next time i felt something was when my son was hit by a car. I heard God say pray for your child. I did and my son is alive to day because i did pray right in the grocery store in Tampa  Florida 1987 February 6th at 4:30 pm.. these are just two incidents ive had at least a dozen more in my life. My answer to you is listen to your heart  our inner spirit that guide's us everyday if you focus on those inner fellings your spirit will guide you. I saw a bright light today around 4am i know it means something but sometimes it takes me several attemps at understanding it before i get it right. Example A. I woke up from sleep and went to turn on a light.in my room.  I stopped before i turned on the light because i had a vision. I saw where my closet door was suppose to be was now a curtain i could see through like lace. Through the certain i could see a bassinet and a childrens mobile . I switched on the light and my closet door reappeared.  I switched off the light and the curtain reappeared.  I was a bit scared because i have had visions but only of people who have passed pn. Two months later i had a similar vision at my daughters house 1200 miles away. The next day she said well im not pregnant i informed her she was. Her test she did that day was negative.  For days after returning home she posted a picture of her pregnancy urine stick that showed she was pregnant. I moved 1200 miles to be here to help her there is a reason for everything that happens in your life. Isabella is her name she is in the Nic-U in Marshfield wisconsin fighting for her life. I think she let me know she was coming because she new fhat her Mommy and Daddy and brother and sissy needs me. So my advise is let things happen try to learn what you can

The world as we know it is so much more it will reveil itself to you your one of the few and it seemz your family iz to gifted. Best of luck.

• 2 months later...

I’ve read a few things here that are exactly like how I describe what I’ve been seeing. Over the course of 3 days I saw weird flashes of light (like a camera flash), it made the whole room light up but it didn’t make me squint, it was bright but I could look right at it. It was just white with a hint of blue & gold.

I’ve was convinced I had a problem with my eyes & been a little worried. It happened once on the first day, twice on the second & three times on the third. All in different places, my cousins, my mums, my hairdressers and my house and different rooms in my mums & my house.

Then it stopped for a week, then it happened twice in one day around 20 mins apart. It’s happened during the day time every time except once where it was around 11pm.

I didn’t think too much of it until the last time it happened on the third day. I started to look up what might be causing it, stress, lack of sleep or something. Anyway, I was going through the pictures and videos on my phone of my baby boy from the morning of the 3rd day & the flash I thought was just caused by my eyes is on the video. It looks like someone’s taking a photo with the flash on behind me. I’m paranoid I’m being stalked or something. I’m scared.

Apart from one time where my sister was there I’ve been alone or with my baby every time it’s happened.

I firstly put it down to headlights but then I though about it and realised that there’s no way they’d make that impact during the day time through net curtains it fully illuminates the room plus my room is in a atick (3rd floor). Then I thought it was possibly to do with a storm but there was no lightning, rain or anything, it was actually quite nice weather on a couple of occasions that it happened. Then I thought maybe it was electrical but to happen in so many places in a short space of time I feel it’s unlikely. I’ve tried to be logical and find reasons but nothing I’ve come up with makes sense for each time I’ve seen it. I keep going back to thinking my eyes are the problem but then I remember I have it on video...

help!

• 5 months later...

About 50 years ago, this happened to me. Guessing summer 1961? I was about eight. It was at night, probably 10 or 11 pm. We lived on a US truck route in a rural area near Cleveland, farm country just beginning to become suburban. This was about the time that Interstate 271 was being built so we still had a lot of truck traffic. When I couldn't sleep, I would look out my second-floor bedroom window across the porch roof and count the semi's going by.

One night, I saw a large round flash of light across the street in the neighbor's side yard, about 150-200 feet away. It appeared to be floating a few feet above the ground. Less than  minute later, the flash came again in the middle of our yard, brighter and larger.  After about the same interval it flashed again, seemingly right in my window frame, lighting the whole thing up, dazzling my eyes.  Then once more, same interval, it flashed inside the branches of a medium sized apple tree about 20 feet in diameter, to the left of the front porch. Illuminated the whole tree. Never saw it again or anything like it. I rushed downstairs to tell my family, and as you might imagine, they told me I had been dreaming.

Hypothetical explanations:

Ball lightening.

My dad or my older brother could have been hoaxing me with a flashlight. Size, speed could match that. But it would have been very unusual behavior for either, and flashlights weren't that bright back then. Plus, to light up the window that way, they would have had to climb on the porch roof to get close enough, and climb back down. The window was open and screened, and I. would have heard them. There was no noise, except for crickets and the trucks going past. There was not enough time for climbing, either.

I even  considered a depth perception mix-up, that I was actually seeing a nearby firefly approaching, but I've never seen one that could light up a whole window or tree by itself, and the phenomenon of swarming fireflies does not occur in our area. Even up close, a fire fly doesn't dazzle.

I'm convinced I was awake and saw something weird that night. Ball lightning seems like the most reasonable explanation.

As for what other people have desribed here, one possibility for seeing the flashes alone and repeatedly is retinal detachment, which can occur due to Injury, or illnesses like diabetes. Symptoms include periodic flashes of light which resemble lightening. Link below to description at Mayo Clinic. Unlikely as a cause if it does not recur and is not accompanied by related symptoms.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/retinal-detachment/symptoms-causes/syc-2035134

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/23/2017 at 7:12 AM, ThreeGalaxiesAway said:

Okay so I have lots paranormal stuff to talk about but instead of my life story let's talk about the thing that just happened like an hour ago. So I fell asleep on the couch and I woke up around 4:00 am. This usually happens a lot. Coincidentally I have some 4am paranormal incident but that's for a whole other post. Anyways I closed my eyes and tried to drift off back to sleep but five minutes later I have my eyes closed and all I see is black, typical right? But then suddenly everything just went bright yellow. It startled me really badly because I didn't know what it was and I still don't. Then on the wall a bright white perfect square appeared and it lasted a couple seconds. My heart was beating super fast and I was trying to come up with reasonable explanations "like oh it's just my parents turning the light on the hall way and it shined into the living room" nope. I tested that theory and when I did turn the hallway light on it wasn't the same as the light I saw. Now I'm just sitting around waiting for sunrise to come. I'm still shaking.

From northern minnesota last night i was awake until 3 in the morning and i got tired so i went upstairs to sleep. i was in the bed next to my best friend and i was laying down thinking and looking out the window. its really dark outside and almost pitch black in the room and out of nowhere a bright white perfect rectangle appeared for atleast 2 seconds. it was like the size of a big tablet and it almost looked like someone to a picture but it did not light up the room. The room is on the second floor and it was too close to the window to be coming from the trees. we dont live near any towns or houses. barely any cars drive by. they never do at night. the light was only about a foot away from the window idk maybe closer. i know that it wasnt human whatever it was. i woke up my best friend and told her to come down stairs. she did not see anything. i told her we had to go but i didnt know what to do. just worried rn to be alone or leave someone else alone hear. has anyone seen more after there first time seeing these lights? i dont believe in ghosts or aliens or anything like that but i saw what i saw. im 24 years old now and ive never seen anything strange or wierd like that in my life.

• 4 months later...
On 11/19/2018 at 10:13 AM, georgetikayne said:

From northern minnesota last night i was awake until 3 in the morning and i got tired so i went upstairs to sleep. i was in the bed next to my best friend and i was laying down thinking and looking out the window. its really dark outside and almost pitch black in the room and out of nowhere a bright white perfect rectangle appeared for atleast 2 seconds. it was like the size of a big tablet and it almost looked like someone to a picture but it did not light up the room. The room is on the second floor and it was too close to the window to be coming from the trees. we dont live near any towns or houses. barely any cars drive by. they never do at night. the light was only about a foot away from the window idk maybe closer. i know that it wasnt human whatever it was. i woke up my best friend and told her to come down stairs. she did not see anything. i told her we had to go but i didnt know what to do. just worried rn to be alone or leave someone else alone hear. has anyone seen more after there first time seeing these lights? i dont believe in ghosts or aliens or anything like that but i saw what i saw. im 24 years old now and ive never seen anything strange or wierd like that in my life.

I had an experience last week similar to georgetikayne and ThreeGalaxiesAway.  I had traveled out of town to attend a close friend's funeral.  I was spending the night at another friend's house where I had slept many times before without incident.  I'm very sensitive to light in the room, so I closed the door, the honeycomb shades over the two windows and made sure there were no light sources other than the clock on my bedside table.  Just as I was about to fall asleep, there was a bright flash of white light that illuminated the entire room.  I sat up startled and saw a bright white square in the middle of the light, which was just over head level in the room against the wall to the left of the foot of the bed.  It didn't move or emit any sound, but after a few seconds simply disappeared.  I was so tired from my travels that I decided to investigate the possible source the next day.  In the morning, I checked and the overhead light in the room was turned completely off.  The two windows in the room were covered with honeycomb shades and back to the yard where there is only woods and no houses or streets.  There was no lightening or rain that night.  There was a smoke alarm on the ceiling with a tiny green light.  I asked the owner what happened when the battery got low, and she said it emitted a red light and a loud tone but not a white light.  She said no one who slept in the room had ever experienced anything like that before.  The next night after the funeral, I slept normally and there was no recurrence.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Kat8Seer said:

I had an experience last week similar to georgetikayne and ThreeGalaxiesAway.  I had traveled out of town to attend a close friend's funeral.  I was spending the night at another friend's house where I had slept many times before without incident.  I'm very sensitive to light in the room, so I closed the door, the honeycomb shades over the two windows and made sure there were no light sources other than the clock on my bedside table.  Just as I was about to fall asleep, there was a bright flash of white light that illuminated the entire room.  I sat up startled and saw a bright white square in the middle of the light, which was just over head level in the room against the wall to the left of the foot of the bed.  It didn't move or emit any sound, but after a few seconds simply disappeared.  I was so tired from my travels that I decided to investigate the possible source the next day.  In the morning, I checked and the overhead light in the room was turned completely off.  The two windows in the room were covered with honeycomb shades and back to the yard where there is only woods and no houses or streets.  There was no lightening or rain that night.  There was a smoke alarm on the ceiling with a tiny green light.  I asked the owner what happened when the battery got low, and she said it emitted a red light and a loud tone but not a white light.  She said no one who slept in the room had ever experienced anything like that before.  The next night after the funeral, I slept normally and there was no recurrence.  Thoughts?

It does sound suspiciously like your deceased closed friend may have paid you a visit. Of course I can't say anything for sure.I would take it all in a basically positive light (pun intended).

By now I am a believer that the deceased (particularly the very recently deceased) come back for a visit. With internet sharing and from people I know I don't even think it is all that rare even. (Science types will reject my interpretation because it doesn't fit into their model of reality and such phenomena is spontaneous and not reproducible so it can't be proved)

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2016 at 11:16 PM, Thorvir said:

Wow.

Yeah, might have been a bit harsh.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kaikou said:

Yeah, might have been a bit harsh.

Haha I'm actually one of those 1 post wonders this chain is reffering to.  Someone cited me as the one with four posts (I now have 5).  I don't take offense. 

In all honesty the experience I shared in this thread is something I still think of often.  So much in fact that I subscribed to this thread specifically to read any updates.  While I only have about three or four 1st hand paranormal stories to share, this one by far is the most mysterious to me.  Which is why I'm so interested in following it in case someone has some insight to this phenomenon.

For those cases where it cannot be easily explained away, I am not sure there is a definitive answer for what it is. I do not even think the half dozen times I have seen them or white light or similar things all were the same thing. Most commonly if I see it it is in my bedroom so I assume that if it is not a sleep related thing, its energy that belongs there. Maybe I generate it? Maybe it is visiting? idk. It has never scared me or anything so not knowing has been ok.