Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Camping food...

rashore

I commented recently about camping food.. and it was requested that I share recipes.

Boursin style spread-

1 package cream cheese

1 stick butter

2 T parmesan cheese

1/2 t dried dill

1/4 t dried marjoram

1/4 t dried basil

1/4 t ground black pepper

2 sprigs fresh thyme, about 1 t

few sprigs fresh parsley, about 1 1/2 T when chopped fine

2-4 cloves garlic, depending on the size. Creamed or pressed

let cream cheese and butter get to room temp

cream cheese and butter together

add all the seasonings, and cream all together

refrigerate at least 24 hours, up to 7 days

Roasted veggie spread/dip

1 medium onion

1 medium sweet potato

1 large carrot

1 head garlic

1 small zucchini

1 small eggplant- optional

2 T. olive oil

¼-1/2 t. cayenne pepper

8 oz package cream cheese- room temp.

Deseed and coarsely chop red pepper. Coarsely chop onion. Peel and dice sweet potato and carrot. Peel and leave whole the garlic cloves. Large chop summer squash or eggplant. Drizzle lightly with 2 T. olive oil- just enough to coat, and salt and pepper. Toss well to make sure all is coated. Roast at 300 till all veggies are soft and able to be pureed. You might want to start out the first half of cooking uncovered, then cover for the second half to really cook everything through. Depending on the chop, this might take 1-2 hours, and the carrots will be the most likely to be the last bits done. Watch out for scorched onion and garlic- stir a couple times while roasting, and if those start to really change color, it's time to cover the whole thing. Once roasted, pull from oven and set out till cool. Puree veggies. Add to cream cheese and cayenne pepper and mix well, adding salt and pepper to season if needed. Mixture will be thick, so if you want to thin it a little to your dipping preference, you can do so with either milk or cream.

I used several sweetie peppers and the half bag of leftover baby carrots from making antipasta bucket the other day instead of a red pepper and large carrot. Used a couple small yellow summer squash instead of zucchini, and left out the eggplant this time. Used about 3 T of milk while mixing.

Honey cinnamon butter

tub of spreadable butter

honey

cinnamon

nutmeg

This really is a taste preference recipe. I used an 8 oz tub of butter, about 2 T of local honey, 1 t cinnamon, and 6 grinds of nutmeg, which is about 1/4 or so of a t.

You must let your butter get fully to room temp. Any lumps when you stir it and it hasn't sat long enough. Yes, this is a hand stirring recipe.

Put your butter into a bowl and stir it to loosen it up. Put about half the honey, all the cinnamon and nutmeg in and stir well. Let rest for about 15 minutes, stir well and taste. Add in more honey if needed for sweet. Stir well and let rest for another 15 minutes. Taste again, and only now add more cinnamon or nutmeg if needed.

Roasted garlic

A pan to roast in- choose a pan that sort of snugly fits all the heads.

Whole garlic

Olive oil

Chop the top of the heads off your garlic while your oven heats to 350.

Place your garlic into your baking dish cut side up

Drizzle heads with olive oil- just a little at a pour- you are looking to coat and lubricate the heads, not drown them in oil. I usually make 2 passes with the oil.

Cover your dish- this is important.

Bake at 350 for 45-75 minutes depending on how many heads you are baking off.

You want to check your heads about 15 minutes before done time and check them for tenderness. Some should be popping out of their skins, and some still kind of firm. Drizzle a bit more oil over each head at this time and put back into the oven COVERED to finish.

You know when they are done when all the big cloves are tender to the poke of a toothpick.

Kill your oven and take the heads out.

Keep them covered till they reach room temp- carryover cooking will do it's job

Once they are room temp- a couple things...

Either keep heads whole for presentation, or pop the cloves out for service.

It's easier popping out after chilling. If you are making popped cloves ahead, chill overnight then pop them out and into the freezer till a few hours thaw time before service.

Made tahini today too- I didn't have it on the shelf, but I did have sesame seed and olive oil, which is pretty much what tahini is.

1 cup sesame seeds

1/8-1/4 cup olive oil.

Since I had the oven at 300 for roasted veggies, I toasted the sesame seed at the same time. Took about 15 minutes with shaking the pan every 5 minutes or so. Let the seeds cool.

Pulse the cooled seeds in your processor before adding oil.

Start out with adding 1/8 cup oil and process. Since I use a mini processor, this is about a half dozen times of running for a minute, using a spatula to spread it to the bottom again, and repeat.

Add in the rest of your oil about a tablespoon at a time with several processings between till you reach a rather runny peanut butter consistency- you should not see any individual seeds at this time.

After you hit this point, process for another couple minutes just to ensure smoothness.

In the next couple days will be more spreads and bread action. I will also be sharing jars of homemade canned goods of salsa and several kinds of fruit preserves. If folks are interested, I can share those recipes too.

Breads and spreads are a great addition to weekend camping potluck.

• Like 4

I'm definitely going to print this out, and try a few of these recipes, they sound delicious! Always looking for new recipes to try out.

So this is what I got prepped up today...

Parkerhouse rolls:

1 1/4 c whole milk

2 T sugar

2 1/4 t yeast

1 egg

20-21 1/4 oz AP flour

1 1/2 t salt

4 oz butter, room temp

Heat the milk and sugar together till lukewarm- do not go over 110, or let it cool if you do. Whisk in the egg and yeast and set aside.

Combine 4 cups of the flour and salt in mixing bowl and use the paddle on lowest speed to combine.

While mixer is running, add liquid in steady stream and mix till flour is moistened. Slowly begin to add softened butter. Increase speed to medium and beat dough for 2 minutes.

Change to dough hook and knead dough at medium speed till smooth but still sticky, about 6 minutes. Add flour in 1 T increments if needed.

Scrape onto floured bench and lightly knead for a minute.

do the 12 step proof process

make 1 1/2 oz rolls and brush with melted butter and bake at 375 for approximately 20 minutes or till golden.

Wheat rolls

10 oz warm water- do not let it go over 110

3/4 oz yeast

8 oz bread flour

8 oz wheat flour

2 oz sugar

2 oz butter, soft

2 oz honey

1 egg

1/2 oz salt

Mix water, sugar, honey. Whisk in egg and yeast and set aside

Combine flours and salt in mixer with paddle and stir on slow to combine dry ingredients.

While mixer is running, add liquid in steady stream and mix till flour is moistened. Slowly begin to add softened butter. Increase speed to medium and beat dough for 2 minutes.

Change to dough hook and knead dough at medium speed till smooth but still sticky, about 6 minutes. Add flour in 1 T increments if needed.

Scrape onto floured bench and lightly knead for a minute.

do the 12 step proof process

Make 2 oz rolls, and use an egg wash. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, or till golden.

Fococcia

Sponge

2 t yeast

1/2 cup water- do not go over 110

2 t sugar

4 oz hi gluten flour

Stir all together, cover, and let sit till it has more than doubled in size

dough

1 c warm water- do not go over 110

1/3 c olive oil

1 1/2 oz sugar

1 T salt

1/2 lb hi gluten flour

7 oz bread flour

Once sponge is ready, put it in your mixing bowl. Using the dough hook, add warm water and oil and stir on low speed to break up the sponge. Turn off mixer, add the sugar, salt, and hi gluten flour. Turn the mixer back onto medium and knead, adding enough bread flour in 1 T increments to develop a smooth and exastic dough.

do 12 step process

scale into 1 1/2 oz rolls and brush with herb oil. Bake at 400 till golden brown.

Pita bread

3 1/4 cups AP flour

2 t salt

2 t yeast

2 T olive oil

1 1/2 c warm water- do not go over 110

Mix everything with the paddle on low speed till combined

Switch to the dough hook, and mix on medium for 10 minutes

Put dough into an oiled bowl, cover, and let double, this can take up to 3 hours

Crank up the heat to 475, and preheat your baking stone or baking sheets

pour out your dough onto the counter and roll into a ropeish shape. Cut into 10-16 pieces depending on how big you want your pitas to be.

On a floured surface, roll each piece into a ball, cover with a towel, and let proof for 20 minutes

Roll into quarter inch thick disks, using liberal amounts of flour, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes

Bake a few at a time to help cut down on how much time the oven door is open. Bake on one side for 4 minutes, flip, and bake for 2 minutes

As soon as you pull them out of the oven, press with a spatula to deflate, allow to cool to room temp, and immediately bag up.

asian chicken mushroom spread..

1 chicken breast

8 oz cream cheese, room temp

1 can mushrooms, undrained

sesame oil, to sear breast

1/4 cup soy sauce

1 t garlic powder

1/4 t ginger

1 cup water

1/4 c mayo

1 small onion

1 T sesame seed- optional

Sear chicken breast in sesame oil, then add mushrooms, ginger, soy, garlic powder, and water. Cover and reduce heat to medium, and let burble away till only a couple tablespoons of liquid are left in the pan. You might want to crack the lid a bit during the last 10 minutes of cooking to help with reduction. Kill the heat, remove pan from burner and uncover. Let sit till cool enough to handle the meat and mushrooms, 10-15 minutes.

Stir together cream cheese and mayo.

Finely mince the onion. You will only be using 2-3 T of the minced onion depending on your taste preference. Stir it into the cheese.

Pull the chicken breast and finely mince it and stir it into the cheese.

Squeeze the mushrooms to get out as much liquid as possible. Finely mince and stir into the cheese.

Using your leftover cooking liquid, stir in about 1 T at a time- this is your seasoning and thinning agent. You want it to be a little too thin looking because the cheese will firm back up in the fridge.

Stir in sesame seeds if using.

Refrigerate overnight prior to eating.

• Like 2

nathans-hot-dogs.jpg

Those recipes do look awesome.

Teehee SP... If you bring a tube or two of crescent rolls, you can wrap those dogs with a roll speared it onto a roasting stick, and bake yourself up a bun around the dog! Or if you got bacon, wrap the dog in bacon on the stick before roasting :)

And thanks folks for liking the recipes, I hope they go over well for the campout. We have a couple guys that have full on camping kitchens, so I've pretty much given up on the major cooking action, though this year I'm burbling up a massive kettle of garlic mushrooms on site to free up one of the cooks to do other things and I get to use his kitchen so I don't have to worry about setup. Breads and spreads are easy to do in advance and require no cooking on site.. And people have something to munch on while the kitchens aren't running. I'm also bringing several jars of various fruit preserves and salsa I've canned up over the summer. Honestly, I kind of like being a sous chef instead of head chef for once.

I've done beer brats, hobo packets of meatloaf, lemon chicken, and veggie varieties, homemade instant potato soup, baked potato fixings, and kabob fixings in the past. But they always kind of took a backseat to the major cooks on site. I can share recipes for some of that stuff too if people are interested.

And hey for other campers... Share some food! Whatever it is that you always like to bring, or really like that others have done and want to know how... Got a recipe to share or request, post it up!

• Like 1

shut up! don't care what your making or eating ,it sounds like ****.

Sorry , 3 days of juice with 2 to go, doing a cleanse. Please forgive me, I would give my first born for a wheat roll with some honey cininmon butter.

shut up! don't care what your making or eating ,it sounds like ****.

Sorry , 3 days of juice with 2 to go, doing a cleanse. Please forgive me, I would give my first born for a wheat roll with some honey cininmon butter.

Sorry about that. If it helps any, you can make the honey cinnamon butter and stow it in the fridge for weeks. And if you use "good fats" kinds of butter, you can use from 1 t to 1 T of spread at a time. Cinnamon and nutmeg are good health and clean spices to use. Honey is good for you. You can use stick butter instead of spreadable butter too.

The roasted veggie spread is kind of OK after a cleanse too, in small amounts. It has a 4:1 ratio of veggies over fats of cheese and milk and it's a high fiber over fat spread in general. And cayenne pepper is a good clean spice, and olive oil for roasting is a good fat.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 1

I am going to try all your recipes when I finish cleansing,.

Now are we talking camp cooking or cooking out? Because both are fine by me.

Recently my spouse and I went camping and were going to be gone for a couple of days, this meant using a cooler for food packing and I prepped everything before we went and will modify somethings for next year.

I also decided that since we were going to be out of doors that I would make some barbeque ribs and prepped them ahead so that they could freeze and marinade in the sauce (which you must cook before consuming)

Prepping makes the packing easier and with trying to freeze as much meat as I could ahead of time meant that it would keep longer in the cooler with less fear of spoilage.

For my barbeque, I got a rack of pork ribs, beef would work too but I prefer pork.

1/2 cup (strong flavor) onion finely chopped

1/4 cup golden mustard

1/2 cup brown sugar

table sp. of chilli powder

tea spoon of black pepper

can of tomato paste or can of tomato sauce (if you want it thinner)

1/4 cup of honey

1/4 cup of rum (optional)

few dashes of Tabasco sauce

1/2 cup of your favorite hot sauce.

Grill those babies or slow bake them and oh my..

Enjoy,

Mabon.

• Like 1

I forgot to add in the barbeque recipe that if you cut the ribs apart then they'll pack in a sealed container easier, the sauce gets on more of the meat and if you grill them you get more crisped edges. Also they fit the plate easier and are easier to eat with your fingers, LOL!.

Whenever me and my friends camp, we usually fish our own food. And snag a few crayfish (crawldaddies.) So there's that. \

If that fails, we usually use a iron cast kettle to boil meats and veggies. In beer, of course.

• Like 2

Roast and vaggies in some water, in a big pot. Under hot coals, come back six hours later.

These are the last two recipes for what I made for this weekends camping food :)

English muffin loaf

1/2 oz yeast

1 T sugar

1/4 t baking soda

2 t salt

1 lb, 8 oz AP flour- you will start with 12 oz

1 pt milk, warm

4 oz water, warm

Softened butter and cornmeal for prepping the pans

Dust your pans first. You will need 2 loaf pans. Coat the entire inside with butter, then coat well with the cornmeal- this dough climbs and is really sticky, so don't skip this step!

Sift together your yeast, sugar, baking soda, salt and 12 oz of the flour

Heat your milk and water together till it's between 100 and 110 degrees- don't go over 110

With your mixer running on low, add the warm liquid in a steady stream to the dry, and allow to mix till well combined.

Put your mixer up to medium, and in 1 tablespoon at a time incorporation, add flour till you have a proper spoon dough consistency. It's way beyond liquid of batter, but way thinner than regular bread dough. The consistency goes from being globulous to sort of a stretching sheeting effect, a really shaggy dough tear.

Split your dough between the 2 pans- it will barely fill in the bottom, and move slow. Do not be tempted to spread the dough to distribute. It climbs high and fast.

Cover the pans with oil coated plastic wrap for proofing. You want your dough to proof till it just barely starts pressing the plastic wrap.

Bake off in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes- they will be dark golden brown.

Let the loaves sit in the pan to sort of let the top crust air harden a bit, about 5-10 minutes, before taking out of the pan. Then cool crust side down on cooling racks. This allows the cornmeal sides to cool and dry properly. Do not allow the bread to cool in the pan.

Hummus. I made a double batch, and it filled a big sour cream container.

2 cans of chick peas

4 T lemon juice

3 T tahini

4 plump cloves garlic

1 t salt

4 T olive oil

Drain and reserve the liquid from your chick peas, then rinse your chick peas.

Peel and crush the garlic.

Now, I only have a 1.5 cup mini food processor, so I processed this in 3 batches. Used a third of the peas each time, and added half of the rest of the ingredient list to each batch. Processed it till it was fine and smooth, adding a tablespoon or two to each batch of the reserved chick pea liquid to get to the right consistency. The last third I processed with 1 T of olive oil to help start it out, then added in 2-3 T of chick pea liquid to get the right consistency. I mixed the three batches together in a bowl till very well mixed.

Then into the fridge to chill till eating time.

A general note about stowing breads for towing around. Make sure your breads are totally cool before bagging unless directions state otherwise. Use ziplock bags to gently suck most of the air out of the bag to help keep them fresh longer. With the English muffin loaf you should place the loaf into a paper bag before you put it in the ziplock- this helps absorb off any extra oils from the pan dusting.

Other foods that turned up during the weekend... Homemade peanut butter bars and super addictive cookies, breakfast breads, spicy chicken taco fixins, garlic stewed mushrooms, marinated filet mignon, baked potatoes, eggs, bacon, and pancakes, and a really good hot bean dip. And so many tastes of drinks I'm not sure what all there was. Lots of homemade ciders, meads, and wine and several kinds of bought stuff too. Got to trade 2 jars of salsa for 2 bottles of fantastic mead.

Roast and vaggies in some water, in a big pot. Under hot coals, come back six hours later.

Sounds like a serial killer's recipe.

Heck by the time you've done all that the holidays will be over, how about a few cans of Baked beans,a hunk of Bread and Sausages,a few Baking potatoes to chuck into the fires embers, and don't forget to sit on the windward side of the fire.I don't go on 5 star camp cooking holidays.

• Like 3

Jeeze, you call yourself campers with that lot?

Wheres the sense of adventure in that?

Do you also carry the kitchen sink with you too?

Spend a week with me and I will show you how to camp, no rucksacks filled with gourmet cuisine, just the essentials for real camping. Bring a knife, tent and sleeping bag, thats all you will need. :tu:

• Like 2

Heck by the time you've done all that the holidays will be over, how about a few cans of Baked beans,a hunk of Bread and Sausages,a few Baking potatoes to chuck into the fires embers, and don't forget to sit on the windward side of the fire.I don't go on 5 star camp cooking holidays.

I can imagine this lot do not take their rubbish with them!

Lol.. Some of us do more real camping at other times of year too. This is just the annual campout event where everybody shares some of the food and beverages we talk about through the year. And yeah, a couple of the guys do break out the full camp kitchens for the event.

And of course we don't leave rubbish after the event. We bag it up and haul it down to the dumpsters provided for this.

• Like 1

Jeeze, you call yourself campers with that lot?

Wheres the sense of adventure in that?

Do you also carry the kitchen sink with you too?

Spend a week with me and I will show you how to camp, no rucksacks filled with gourmet cuisine, just the essentials for real camping. Bring a knife, tent and sleeping bag, thats all you will need. :tu:

Marry me.

• Like 1

My Dad used to take some salt&pepper , an Onion , a stick of butter , and a hunk of tinfoil to wrap around it and a trout when he got to the river.

* he'd cook it in some coals .. i think it was done in 2 or 3 beers.

I like to take nuts and raisins and bread and cheese .. sometimes eggs for breakfast ... and COFFEE .

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

When I was 14 my mate and I went camping carrying a tent on our bikes. We pitched the tent in a field and the next morning we discoverd in the next field a campsite full of girl guides, wowee the best camping holiday I've ever had.

• Like 2

hop09_05_6913.jpg

"Personally, I prefer a nice quiche, followed by banana souffle, all washed down with a crisp, chilled chablis......what?.....Ooooh, sorry..wrong sort of camping.....sorry, sorry!"

• Like 2

hop09_05_6913.jpg

"Personally, I prefer a nice quiche, followed by banana souffle, all washed down with a crisp, chilled chablis......what?.....Ooooh, sorry..wrong sort of camping.....sorry, sorry!"

burnt toast,black fried bacon too crispy to eat,hard fried egg,sausages ?, they were thrown out as inedible.watery tea as the pan hadn't boiled .and its damn well tossing down so fast the fires gone out.But its great fun plodging around in the mud,with soggy socks inside welly boots.The S.A.S survival course was learned from us ha ha. P.S I like the necklace.

Lol, didn't realize my recipe posting would lead to a discussion of real camping. Some of the folks in our group do other camping too, others do not.

It's kind of like this... Some people might have an annual gathering at their home for 12-20 friends to spend a weekend, bring dishes and booze to pass around for the weekend. All of us are kind of foodies- most of us are good cooks, a couple of us are excellent brewers. It's just that instead of doing it at someones house, we do it while out in the woods with tents. It's kind of the last gathering of all of us for the year till next spring since some of us live outside of regular visiting range. Over the last 15 years we've been doing this, it has very much evolved from a pack of hotdogs or someones first attempt at beer to share into way more of a good eats and drinks event.

And for people kind of pooing my camping food... What do you do for camping food? Catch fish or rabbits, do wild eats foraging? Share what you do please. This thread is supposed to be about sharing camping food, not what's really camping or not.

• Like 2