Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Response to "no scientific evidence" of ghost

lestatdelioncourt

What would you say to those who say there is no scientific proof of paranormal (ghosts)?

*If you believe in them in the first place.

Edited by lestatdelioncourt

I agree, but are you someone who believes in them or not? I probably should have worded this topic differently,

I don't believe in anything without proof. I try to keep an open mind, but so far in my searches I've yet to come across convincing evidence.

• Like 2

We have no business "believing" in something of this sort if we don't have good evidence. I suppose the best that can be reasonable is to have the opinion that maybe they exist.

• Like 3

A good quote i have heard from Richard Dawkins is "The plural of anicdote is not evidence". But who is to say that if you experianced one of those "anicdotes" you wouldn't be a believer.

A good quote i have heard from Richard Dawkins is "The plural of anicdote is not evidence". But who is to say that if you experianced one of those "anicdotes" you wouldn't be a believer.

I dare say many friends of mine whom I think are level headed report having seen them and still don't "believe." They are all ready enough to say that other possibilities are more likely.
  • Like 3

What would you say to those who say there is no scientific proof of paranormal (ghosts)?

I would say it's a meaningless and misleading statement.

Just because today's science cannot (or more accurately has not been used to) show the existence of such phenomena, does not mean it will not happen in the future.

I would say it's a meaningless and misleading statement.

Just because today's science cannot (or more accurately has not been used to) show the existence of such phenomena, does not mean it will not happen in the future.

Utterly unscientific; just because science cannot show the existence of cheese on the Moon does not mean it will not happen in the future.
  • Like 4

Utterly unscientific; just because science cannot show the existence of cheese on the Moon does not mean it will not happen in the future.

I think he means that maybe we do not have the means or understanding as of now, and maybe in the future we will, and, I am almost certain that someday there will be cheese on the moon.

• Like 2

*If you believe in them in the first place.

I would love it if ghosts, aliens, the yeti etc are proven to be real, and I am really hoping that science one day will show us clear proof......but in the meantime I can agree that there are unexplained phenomena, but I can't say they are ghosts or spirits.

So far I haven't seen one picture online that made me go: 'oh...that looks like a ghost and not like a blurry photograph of a person with white makeup'.

Edited by Aggie

There will always be unexplained events, and it will also always be the case the mundane causes are more likely than exotic causes.

I hear a thump in the night, it is more likely one of the kids than an intruder and more likely an intruder than an alien from Alpha Centauri.

What should I do? I should accept that I don't know and go back to sleep.

• Like 1

There will always be unexplained events, and it will also always be the case the mundane causes are more likely than exotic causes.

I hear a thump in the night, it is more likely one of the kids than an intruder and more likely an intruder than an alien from Alpha Centauri.

What should I do? I should accept that I don't know and go back to sleep.

Beware...the aliens from Alpha Centauri are very silent....

• Like 1

Beware...the aliens from Alpha Centauri are very silent....

As are ghosts, which is why I don't think "ghost" when I hear a thump in the night.
  • Like 1

As are ghosts, which is why I don't think "ghost" when I hear a thump in the night.

You haven't watched enough ghost movies then, throwing things, shaking chains, dragging chairs, etc.

You haven't watched enough ghost movies then, throwing things, shaking chains, dragging chairs, etc.

I try to imagine a disembodied spirit, and I can see no way they could make noise, Hollywood or no Hollywood.

I've seen some good evidences, heard some very interesting accounts, to me there is very little doubt that this kind of phenomenon occur. As for what it is, no one can really tell. Is it Grand-pa that is coming back, some unexplained form of life taking the shape of or psychokenesis and psychic projections? I do not know.

You know science has proved to be an efficient mean to understand things but it would be incorrect to tell that as far as today it can answer everything. Fundemental questions have some far been left unanswered: Is there life after Death? What is the Universe/Multiverse? What is the true nature of (un)conscioussness? That is still very much an open debate. As for myself, I have no difficulty to accept the possibility that some unexplained phenomenon can elude the rigorous scientific method based on hard data and models. Even these rigourous models may be subject to change, as has been the case throughout the history of science. It should not be a dogma. Our understanding and how we achieve it is still very much a work in progress. Therefore, if materiels evidences of 'ghosts' cannot be so far reproduced scientifically in a controled environment in doesn't ruled out the phenomenon in itself to me, it may be that there are things that escape our graps or are not subjet to it.

Edited by sam_comm

I live in a country just riddled with reports of ghosts. It is a cultural phenomenon -- the ghosts reported differ from culture to culture so we can readily discount all of these reports.

Personally I think ghosts are likely as a transition from one life to another, but it is very unlikely they would have detectable manifestations that we could see or hear, and it does no good asserting there is evidence for them when the evidence is entirely testimonial.

I live in a country just riddled with reports of ghosts. It is a cultural phenomenon -- the ghosts reported differ from culture to culture so we can readily discount all of these reports.

I disagree with this logic. I think what differs is the interpretation from one cultur to another of the phenomenon. That doesn't ruled out in any way the legtitimacy of some these reports.

Personally I think ghosts are likely as a transition from one life to another, but it is very unlikely they would have detectable manifestations that we could see or hear, and it does no good asserting there is evidence for them when the evidence is entirely testimonial.

The evidence is not enterily testimonial, some investigators have been able to capture very interesting material evidences and anomalies in allegedly haunted locations. Of course, as it stands today it's hard to know what is legit and what is faked evidence, with the technologies and software which allows to fabricate false pictures and videos. But I do not think that all invesitgators gives themselves to this activity of creating false proofs.

The problem of 'scientific' proofs applied to this phenomenon is that you may catch unexplained shadows, apparitions, disembodied voices, knocking sounds ect which have found no rational explanations but they cannot be reproduced in a controlled environments through experiments. It's an once upon a time spontaneous manifestation of activity in which it would appear that we have no control over. Therefore it cannot enter the actual scientific models. It needs a major rethinking of what can or cannot be consider ''real'' and how to prove it.

Edited by sam_comm

There is no evidence.

My experiences are not evidence,nor would I consider them proof for anyone else.

Leg pulling,or lack of critical thinking are common factors in peoples stories that back peddles the research from a serious level.

Keep in mind science is limited,and it's like trying to prove sustained manned flight with stone age tools.

Keep in mind that maybe...Just maybe we come here willingly???

We can be just hyper dimensional beings tethered to a modified Monkey suit with a memory wipe?

Just maybe where we really come from is boring,and we come here for the experience???

If this pure speculation was indeed was the case in one form,or the other?Then there would be an active effort by hyper dimensional intelligences that are not bound by linear physical conventions to prevent evidence that would be of consencous to science?

Meanwhile Mankind has to take care of what it has,because afterlife,or not there is only one Earth.We are divided,superstitious,

warlike,and many other things that would make intergalactic neighbors see us as a hot Potato.

Just something to think about which I am sure others here have thought of allready.

Meanwhile Mankind has to take care of what it has,because afterlife,or not there is only one Earth.We are divided,superstitious,

warlike,and many other things that would make intergalactic neighbors see us as a hot Potato.

Luckily we are so far away technologically from getting anywhere near another solar system that they don't have to worry about us.

• Like 1

There is no evidence.

I would rather say: There is no undisputable scientific proofs of Ghosts and Entities. That would be more accurate. There is plenty of materiel evidences and for all to see. Just contact serious paranormal groups and ask them where can find some fo their greatest findings. I do not think that all one can see is faked and frabricated evidences though that is now become frequent and overshadow what can be consider legit.

The problems lies in the fact that they cannot be reproduced through a scientific experiement in a controlled environment. They're are, as might be fitting to say, once upon a time spontaneous manifestations of activity. Therefore these audio, videos, pictures are most likely to be quickly rejected by the scientific community.

Edited by sam_comm