Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Voyager 1 Reaches Interstellar Space

Waspie_Dwarf

I'm stuck in a time loop this happened a few years ago.its happened again.?

No, there were some claims, later discounted that Voyager 1 had left the solar system.

and wat do they mean by man made as too?

What part of "man made" are you having trouble with? It means exactly what it says, made by man (humans).

Voyage of Discovery

Take a virtual ride with Voyager 1 and 2 past Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

Credit: NASA/JPL

Source: NASA/JPL - Videos

And then it heard a loud voice from outside our universe, singing a very loud song. Did you hear that on the news last night? It was wonderful. The sound of interstellar space. Maybe someday my spirit will soar there and hear it, if spirits can hear.

Edited by moonshadow60
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A little off-topic but took my 7 year old to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum last weekend so he could get a look at the Voyager Development Test Model hanging from the ceiling. His interest has been piqued with all the news about the craft leaving the solar system and being able to see a "real voyager" was a great learning experience.

I know Chuck Berry had a recording on the "golden record" but I don't believe Elvis did, which is too bad because you could've said, "Elvis has left the Solar System!"

Anyway, hope the data keeps coming in for as long as the power lasts.

Maybe someday someone, something will reprogram it like on Startrek.. That'd be cool!

Voyager 1 and its camera:

"Voyager 1 took its last image (the "Solar System Family Portrait" in 1990), the cameras were turned off to save power and memory for the instruments expected to detect the new charged particle environment of interstellar space. Mission managers removed the software from both spacecraft that controls the camera. The computers on the ground that understand the software and analyze the images do not exist anymore. The cameras and their heaters have also been exposed for years to the very cold conditions at the deep reaches of our solar system. Even if mission managers recreated the computers on the ground, reloaded the software onto the spacecraft and were able to turn the cameras back on, it is not clear that they would work." [http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/faq.html]

It is wonderous to image if Voyager's camera was still operational just what kind of pictures it would send back. Even if it was just a pale blue dot, just like ours - truly fascinating!

Now we let us all hope for the same success for Voyager 2 !

I'm only one year older than both Voyager's but I'll never live as long to see as much as they already have. God speed, Voyagers, God speed!

:clap:

It'll probably outlive Humanity.. It won't work, but it'll probably go on forever!

Which is a mad thought!!

Imagine.. there could be lots of 'Voyager's' out there' sent from different planets

from different parts of the Universe at different times by Aliens?

And then it heard a loud voice from outside our universe, singing a very loud song. Did you hear that on the news last night? It was wonderful. The sound of interstellar space. Maybe someday my spirit will soar there and hear it, if spirits can hear.

Or travel fast enough!!

Very thought provoking though?

It'll probably outlive Humanity.. It won't work, but it'll probably go on forever!

Which is a mad thought!!

Imagine.. there could be lots of 'Voyager's' out there' sent from different planets

from different parts of the Universe at different times by Aliens?

So cool that I have had similar thoughts and my young son said the same thing (other planets in the Goldilocks zone sending Voyagers) after spending a lot of time watching videos and visiting the space centers.

• Like 1

Or travel fast enough!!

Very thought provoking though?

Compared to what we know now and where our tech is, 100 years ago we would be crazy science fiction. I flew faster than the speed of sound almost daily for a few years in the 80's and I got to meet the guys that lost friends learning how to do it. Awe inspiring to grow up during transitions and meet the pioneers.