Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evolution of UFO

qxcontinuum

As ufo enthusiast but not an expert, i wish to consider myself still a believer. Still numerous stories, books and pictures i read througout the years, made me realize something interesting, that i would like to share;

Ufo's have changed their look and finishing every 10 year. I would say coincidentaly in the same time with our industrial tehnology change. The first pictured sightings from 50's were depincting some rough shaped chunky ufo's looking more like a hat or a church bell , abrasive endings, visible lights, barely aerodynamic, while the most modern one are thin, smooth, perfect shaped, missing central dome glass, more aerodynamic, etc...

Have someone noticed it ?

That leads me to the conclusion that numerous sightings were not alien in origins, likely objects made with the human technology back then.

Hum what do we think about this ?

• Like 5

Well UFO stands for Unidentified flying Object, says nothing about aliens.

That leads me to the conclusion that numerous sightings were not alien in origins, likely objects made with the human technology back then.

i think that'd be very unlikely, since there are no manmade aircraft that look at all like the traditional Saucer, and there's never been any proof that any of these futuristic triangle-shaped things that people always say "Well, the're obviously Secret Aircraft" have ever actually existed, let alone being flown as much as must be the case from the number of reports.

The only reference that enthusiasts have regarding what alien craft may or may not look like is the popular culture that surrounds them during their life time.

It is no surprise that descriptions of alien craft by so called witnesses follow the same trends as the latest ideas from The X-Files or the latest speilberg blockbuster.

In the 40s 50s & 60s 'witnesses' described saucer shaped craft (see 'The Day The Earth Stood Still)

In the 70s & 80s 'witnesses' described fast moving balls of light & small aliens with large eyes (see Close Encounters)

In the 90s 'witnesses' described triangular space ships (see The X-Files)

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

The only reference that enthusiasts have regarding what alien craft may or may not look like is the popular culture that surrounds them during their life time.

It is no surprise that descriptions of alien craft by so called witnesses follow the same trends as the latest ideas from The X-Files or the latest speilberg blockbuster.

In the 40s 50s & 60s 'witnesses' described saucer shaped craft (see 'The Day The Earth Stood Still)

In the 70s & 80s 'witnesses' described fast moving balls of light & small aliens with large eyes (see Close Encounters)

In the 90s 'witnesses' described triangular space ships (see The X-Files)

the day the earth stood still was 1951, so the 40's suggestion is cannot be based on the film as you say. Coupled with the fact that in 1947 alone there were over 850 reports that included saucer shaped craft, balls of light etc.

As an overall trend you may be loosely correct however this would only work if we considered all sightings as real, if not then I would say all the BS/hoaxes/lies etc may follow that trend but 'real' UFO events do not.

Edited by quillius

the day the earth stood still was 1951, so the 40's suggestion is cannot be based on the film as you say. Coupled with the fact that in 1947 alone there were over 850 reports that included saucer shaped craft, balls of light etc.

As an overall trend you may be loosely correct however this would only work if we considered all sightings as real, if not then I would say all the BS/hoaxes/lies etc may follow that trend but 'real' UFO events do not.

i used that reference as an example rather than being specific. Think you'll find plenty of sci-fi films featuring saucer shapes from the 40s. but not many showing Close Encounter type ships. All these designs coupled with witness 'sightings' are design specific to that era, my point being that these people that report these things use popular sci-fi imagery as their jumping off point.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

i used that reference as an example rather than being specific. Think you'll find plenty of sci-fi films featuring saucer shapes from the 40s. but not many showing Close Encounter type ships. All these designs coupled with witness 'sightings' are design specific to that era, my point being that these people that report these things use popular sci-fi imagery as their jumping off point.

exactly, older ufo/ET stories have ET ships with levers and dials in them, (like the old flash Gordon series to name but one). ha, dials and levers. In just 40-50 years we have craft with computers to fly them, lcd touch panels and all kinds of high tech.

But them old 'super advanced aliens', have dials and levers. Oh and antennae on their heads :lol:

Yeh peoples imaginations and concocted stories are based on whats around them at the time in culture

• Like 1

yes I agree but only to the extent that the argument can be used for hoaxes/lies/dellusions etc and not for real 'ufo' sightings. Do real UFO events follow the same pattern? I dont think they do. In actual fact this maybe also indicates a logical way in which to fathom out hoaxes etc ...i.e reports/events that conradict the 'trend' suggested...(although this does leave us open to missing a real event if it matches the trend)

• Like 1

nice thread! :) what you guys is absolutely right, there has been a change in UFO Appearance in sightings that went along with both cultural and technical advances over the years.

Well, neither do i believe that all UFO sightings are hoaxes, nor will i try to deny that at least 90% of the stories you get served here and everywhere are dubious (to phrase it without the B and the S).

GIVEN there is really something to this phenomenon, it led me to think that whatever causes those sightings could be able to adapt to the capacity of the human consciousness. Or gets misinterpreted. People tend to express what they see in the words they have. If a guy in medieval times could see an F-16 fighter plane, i'm pretty sure he would describe it as "metallic bird", because he has no clue about aviation.

So people in "our" time, from the 40s to 2013, would likely act the same way when confronted with something above their understanding, only with a bigger knowledge about technology and classic sci-fi.

OR the whole UFO thing is not so much a real-world-tangible, but a psychological phenomenon. I think it was Carl Gustav Jung who saw UFOs as a kind of foreshadowing of the evolution of the human mind. Not sure, gotta check it up. I don't know who's familiar with his concept of "collective consciousness", but he said that it doesn't apply to past events only, but also on future events.

Anyway, take only the high number of people all over the world that claim to be abducted by "aliens". This kind of stuff is more or less pop culture nowadays. But i can't believe that since the first person came up with that story, all the others are merely reproductions of people wanting their 15 minutes of fame/shame on local tv. SOMETHING happens to some of these people, but

this is not necessarily of extraterrestrial origin.

edit to add that i just saw this is my 600th post. cheers! :D

Edited by Jacques Terreur
  • Like 3

nice thread! :) what you guys is absolutely right, there has been a change in UFO Appearance in sightings that went along with both cultural and technical advances over the years.

Well, neither do i believe that all UFO sightings are hoaxes, nor will i try to deny that at least 90% of the stories you get served here and everywhere are dubious (to phrase it without the B and the S).

GIVEN there is really something to this phenomenon, it led me to think that whatever causes those sightings could be able to adapt to the capacity of the human consciousness. Or gets misinterpreted. People tend to express what they see in the words they have. If a guy in medieval times could see an F-16 fighter plane, i'm pretty sure he would describe it as "metallic bird", because he has no clue about aviation.

So people in "our" time, from the 40s to 2013, would likely act the same way when confronted with something above their understanding, only with a bigger knowledge about technology and classic sci-fi.

OR the whole UFO thing is not so much a real-world-tangible, but a psychological phenomenon. I think it was Carl Gustav Jung who saw UFOs as a kind of foreshadowing of the evolution of the human mind. Not sure, gotta check it up. I don't know who's familiar with his concept of "collective consciousness", but he said that it doesn't apply to past events only, but also on future events.

Anyway, take only the high number of people all over the world that claim to be abducted by "aliens". This kind of stuff is more or less pop culture nowadays. But i can't believe that since the first person came up with that story, all the others are merely reproductions of people wanting their 15 minutes of fame/shame on local tv. SOMETHING happens to some of these people, but

Hey JT, some very good points there especially the bolded. :tu:

in addition the comment regarding abductions reminded me of my favourite abduction case (probably the only one that I cant find a hole in whatsoever) the Pascagoula abduction. Their descriptions of both the craft and the 'beings' cannot be linked to pop culture as suggested, therefore strengthening my position that any potential real experiences contradict any trend.

:tu:

• Like 1

Congrats on the 600th! But again when we look thru history we see tales of abduction have been around for ages. When I was a lad in the 70's. my mother had a big black book, telephone book sized in fact, and it was called something like Myths and Folklore. That book used to give me the willies with its stories and woodcut print pictures of witches and goblins and general spooky things.

Trolls in the woods would take little boys and girls away if they hadnt been baptised, fairies and goblins too sometimes, there would be ghostly headless horsemen in the night, banshees wailing and screaming, and all manner of things like that. But never was ufo's and aliens mentioned. People put their fears on strange twisted little men that lived in forests and such like.

Nowadays those stories have faded away, but the same 'scenarios' seem now to come with tales of UFOS and little grey men. Go back 200 hundred years and the topics of many conversation were the myths and folklore, nowadays, its ufos and alien abductions. Whats changed in that respect? Except for our interest and knowledge of space?

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

yes I agree but only to the extent that the argument can be used for hoaxes/lies/dellusions etc and not for real 'ufo' sightings. Do real UFO events follow the same pattern? I dont think they do. In actual fact this maybe also indicates a logical way in which to fathom out hoaxes etc ...i.e reports/events that conradict the 'trend' suggested...(although this does leave us open to missing a real event if it matches the trend)

Define 'real ufo sighting'

Define 'real ufo sighting'

one that isnt a hoax or lie.

Hey JT, some very good points there especially the bolded. :tu:

in addition the comment regarding abductions reminded me of my favourite abduction case (probably the only one that I cant find a hole in whatsoever) the Pascagoula abduction. Their descriptions of both the craft and the 'beings' cannot be linked to pop culture as suggested, therefore strengthening my position that any potential real experiences contradict any trend.

:tu:

thx, quillius! :) you were referring to the two guys in the fisherboat, being abducted by THIS:

PascagoulaAccurso.jpg

right? I'm into UFOs for at least 20years, it's more of a pasttime than serious studying, but i've read a LOT of stuff where people

claim all kinds of things luring them into their ships. I'm sure you know, too. But do i understand you correctly, you think that the stories that go further away from the kind of mainstream "grey aliens took me to their ship and probed me" are more likely to be true events?

I rather see them as the "statistical odds", like left and right of a bell curve. If you take out the obvious blowhards with a craving for recognition, who make up or hoax UFO or abduction events, you are still left with those people who would swear they saw SOMETHING. For them it is real, be it greys or the friendly carrot men up there. What i want to say is: If you take the "genuine" cases, where no hoax could be proven, for me it's not so much the question WHICH events are more likely to be true, but what is behind it. And the most logical thing for me at the moment is that it is a psychological/medical phenomenon. I can't really explain this, it's merely a hunch.

• Like 1

Nowadays those stories have faded away, but the same 'scenarios' seem now to come with tales of UFOS and little grey men. Go back 200 hundred years and the topics of many conversation were the myths and folklore, nowadays, its ufos and alien abductions. Whats changed in that respect? Except for our interest and knowledge of space?

excatly, seeder. Those stories have always been and will keep on, i'm sure. Lots of the old stories were also to scare the kids of going away too far from home, but if you look around a bit, you will indeed find reports that are strikingly similar to modern UFO/abduction scenarios, only including goblins or fairies. What i wonder is merely if those events really happen(ed) or if people

only THINK they do. (as i said above: i only refer to the stuff that wasn't ruled out as blatant fake)

I tend to agree with that reasoning, & think the whole ufo phenomina is part psychological, part 15 minutes of fame & part prank, & perhaps this links in with a point made on another thread as to why sightings are practically unheard of in places like Africa i.e. perhaps the American psychological make up is more prone to the suggestion of alien visitation & is encouraged by popular american sci-fi culture.

• Like 1

thx, quillius! :) you were referring to the two guys in the fisherboat, being abducted by THIS:

right? I'm into UFOs for at least 20years, it's more of a pasttime than serious studying, but i've read a LOT of stuff where people

claim all kinds of things luring them into their ships. I'm sure you know, too. But do i understand you correctly, you think that the stories that go further away from the kind of mainstream "grey aliens took me to their ship and probed me" are more likely to be true events?

I rather see them as the "statistical odds", like left and right of a bell curve. If you take out the obvious blowhards with a craving for recognition, who make up or hoax UFO or abduction events, you are still left with those people who would swear they saw SOMETHING. For them it is real, be it greys or the friendly carrot men up there. What i want to say is: If you take the "genuine" cases, where no hoax could be proven, for me it's not so much the question WHICH events are more likely to be true, but what is behind it. And the most logical thing for me at the moment is that it is a psychological/medical phenomenon. I can't really explain this, it's merely a hunch.

yes thats the case...its really fascinating. I appreciate what you are saying with regards to psychological element. I guess that is why this case is extra special in that respect as it was two guys and both reported the same.....so even if there was a psychological issue before or even if we suggest the sighting was an atmospheric anomoly that created some sort of hallucination, how did it a-effect both men and b-made them see the same thing. (granted they spent two hours before any reports /statements where given so the power of suggestion whilst still 'groggy' could possibly account for this. To be honest this is the only part of the door thats left slightly ajar stopping me from saying it must have been ET

• Like 1

I tend to agree with that reasoning, & think the whole ufo phenomina is part psychological, part 15 minutes of fame & part prank, & perhaps this links in with a point made on another thread as to why sightings are practically unheard of in places like Africa i.e. perhaps the American psychological make up is more prone to the suggestion of alien visitation & is encouraged by popular american sci-fi culture.

maybe the hoaxes and lies in those countries are very rare which would mean there would be far far less reported/occurance.

although Colares flap shows that some of teh best cases with possible merit do happen in far away places....(I could also say Ruwa incident but dont want to open that can of worms)

Edited by quillius

yes thats the case...its really fascinating. I appreciate what you are saying with regards to psychological element. I guess that is why this case is extra special in that respect as it was two guys and both reported the same.....so even if there was a psychological issue before or even if we suggest the sighting was an atmospheric anomoly that created some sort of hallucination, how did it a-effect both men and b-made them see the same thing. (granted they spent two hours before any reports /statements where given so the power of suggestion whilst still 'groggy' could possibly account for this. To be honest this is the only part of the door thats left slightly ajar stopping me from saying it must have been ET

don't get me wrong, i do not wish to explain cases away. And when i say "psychological", i don't mean that a possible witness

suffers from health problems or is prone to be mentally ill. I can't really put words to it since i'm not a psychologist. Let me try another approach (with the danger of sounding like a new age hippie) to grasp what i mean: maybe sometimes the human brain involuntarily "connects" to another plain of existence. Gawd. I know, that sounds awful.

does any of you guys know of a study on the world wide distribution of UFO sightings?

• Like 1

don't get me wrong, i do not wish to explain cases away. And when i say "psychological", i don't mean that a possible witness

suffers from health problems or is prone to be mentally ill. I can't really put words to it since i'm not a psychologist. Let me try another approach (with the danger of sounding like a new age hippie) to grasp what i mean: maybe sometimes the human brain involuntarily "connects" to another plain of existence. Gawd. I know, that sounds awful.

does any of you guys know of a study on the world wide distribution of UFO sightings?

ahh ok, I see what you mean, more in line with Carl Jung (as you mentioend before) and maybe along teh lines of dimensions/different planes of consciouness etc...to be honest this is all beyond me although highly interesting.

sure I have see soem various studies but will need to dig out from my mountain of c**p.....Mcrom usually is good at this sort of thing :)

• Like 1

As ufo enthusiast but not an expert, i wish to consider myself still a believer. Still numerous stories, books and pictures i read througout the years, made me realize something interesting, that i would like to share;

Ufo's have changed their look and finishing every 10 year. I would say coincidentaly in the same time with our industrial tehnology change. The first pictured sightings from 50's were depincting some rough shaped chunky ufo's looking more like a hat or a church bell , abrasive endings, visible lights, barely aerodynamic, while the most modern one are thin, smooth, perfect shaped, missing central dome glass, more aerodynamic, etc...

Have someone noticed it ?

Yeah I dont doubt what so ever that most UFO's, are either a hoax, or made by man. Heck the Germans were making flying disks during WW2. The only ones that really stand out to me as unexplainable are the massive UFO's. Like the Hudson Valley boomerang, or that one that was in AZ I believe back in the 80's or early 90's..

Thinking about it, the smaller disk shaped ones that seem to move at impossible speeds, and change direction at those speeds on a dime, if they are man made, means our governments are holding back technology we cant concieve. Probably in much more then just flight ability

Yeah I dont doubt what so ever that most UFO's, are either a hoax, or made by man. Heck the Germans were making flying disks during WW2. The only ones that really stand out to me as unexplainable are the massive UFO's. Like the Hudson Valley boomerang, or that one that was in AZ I believe back in the 80's or early 90's..

Thinking about it, the smaller disk shaped ones that seem to move at impossible speeds, and change direction at those speeds on a dime, if they are man made, means our governments are holding back technology we cant concieve. Probably in much more then just flight ability

They might, two explanations for this would be gathering the German scientists working at the Glocke Project (anti-gravity devices)

Think about how many UFO sightings might have been attributed to the B2 bomber while it's existence was still not made available to the public or in the project phase. Which was looking exactly like a saucer seen from the front

So its existance was made available after roughly 10 years of use and existence. Think to what they might have now that would be made available in the next 20 years ...:-)

B2_bomber_initial_rollout_ceremony_1988.jpg

Edited by qxcontinuum

i think that's very true, it might well be that people simply try to describe things in ways that they can comprehend; and they'd naturally try to relate it to the most advanced kind of technology there was at the time; hence Airships around the end of the 19th c., and so on. And undoubtedly, there'd be an element of what's 'fashionable' at the time; so if someone saw something, they'd describe it as a flying Saucer even if it might not have actually be a Saucer shape.

• Like 2

Yeah I dont doubt what so ever that most UFO's, are either a hoax, or made by man. Heck the Germans were making flying disks during WW2.

For which there's considerably less evidence that there is that UFOs are of extraterrestrial origin.

• Like 2