Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Attenborough: 'the Yeti may be real'

UM-Bot

Naturalist Sir David Attenborough has stated that he believes the Yeti may be a real creature.

Speaking at a showcase for upcoming UKTV programmes, the 87-year-old expressed an interest in the legend of the abominable snowman and stated that he believed such a creature could potentially exist in the wilds of the Himalayas.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/254548/attenborough-the-yeti-may-be-real

• Like 1

I suppose anything is possible, there have been scientists in the Himalayas studying the Snow Leopard; they are so secretive you can spend five years in the field and never catch a glimpse of one. Of course they are a known animal, but it does speak to the difficulty of locating animals in such a difficult and vast terrain and Snow Leopards are large cats.

I didnt know about this bit he mentioned

"and we know that in the 1930's a German fossil was found with these huge molars that were four or five times the size of human molars. They had to be the molars of a large ape, one that was huge, about 10 or 12 feet tall. It was immense."

"and we know that in the 1930's a German fossil was found with these huge molars that were four or five times the size of human molars. They had to be the molars of a large ape, one that was huge, about 10 or 12 feet tall. It was immense."

He may be refering to Gigantopithecus, but that fossil was found in a Hong Kong pharmacy.

"in 1935, the German paleoanthropologist Ralph von Koenigswald came across a large fossil primate molar that did not belong to any known species."

http://www.uiowa.edu...th/giganto.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantopithecus

Edited by Razer
  • Like 1

i think it was from an extinct wolf, no sure

David Attenborough is a pretty cool cat and I've come to respect his opinion on many things. I don't feel he's prone to make off-hand comments without solid reasoning. Another interesting twist :)

• Like 1

Agree with Sundew the snow leopard is a very good example, once they were thought to be legends or tales amoung the locals of the area, because no one had seen them. Until footage of them was seen.

Well what Attenborough has done is simply embraced the possibility that such a creature might exist. Much the same as I and several others here have. I would point out that there is a huge difference in embracing a possibility and full blown belief.

• Like 2

Simple, it's name recognition. Just about everyone who's watch nature shows on TV is going to know who he is. That doesn't mean it's an endorsement by any stretch of the imagination, however it does mean that the rest of us who are open to the possibility are in very good company.

No, it's not proof, but odds are more people will listen to Attenborough than your grandmother.

Just saying.

• Like 2

Simple, it's name recognition. Just about everyone who's watch nature shows on TV is going to know who he is. That doesn't mean it's an endorsement by any stretch of the imagination, however it does mean that the rest of us who are open to the possibility are in very good company.

No, it's not proof, but odds are more people will listen to Attenborough than your grandmother.

Just saying.

Yeah, took the words right from me. It's just about name recognition, nothing more. I'm glad that someone like Sir Attenborough talked in public about the Yeti, and I'm even more glad he supports its existence

Edited by BorisIWantToKnow
  • Like 1

Agree with Sundew the snow leopard is a very good example, once they were thought to be legends or tales amoung the locals of the area, because no one had seen them. Until footage of them was seen.

Exactly when was the snow leopard thought to be something from tales and legends? It was scientifically described 1775, within the lifetime of Linnaeus, the father of Taxonomy. It has been a well-know animal for centuries before that.

It is a terrible example. It is a solitary, extremely secretive and rare big cat that lives in very remote areas, and yet, there are thousands of photographs and countless hours of film footage available of them. They are found in zoos and natural history museums around the world. Very much unlike the Yeti.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an interesting site:

THE LOST WORLD OF GIANTS

http://www.beforeus.com/email/article/article6_The_Lost_World_of_Giants.html