Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Updated] Costa Concordia Ready for Salvage

questionmark

The most spectacular salvage operation in shipping history is set to begin next week. Though all the pieces are now in place, the question remains whether the doomed Costa Concordia can be righted, or whether she will break apart in the process.

Franco Porcellacchia says the Costa Concordia was a challenge to build. The chief construction engineer still enthuses about the cruise liner's opulent features, including the "macro dome," a 50-meter (165-foot) sliding roof over the upper deck. "The ship was considered extremely innovative at the time," he says.

But the Costa Concordia didn't sail for long. On the night of January 13, 2012, barely six-and-a-half years after she was launched, Captain Francesco Schettino drove her into a rock off the Italian island of Giglio, then abandoned the sinking ship, cementing his legacy as the worst captain in cruise-line history.

Read more

• Like 1

Update -

A daring attempt to pull the shipwrecked Costa Concordia upright will go ahead on Monday, Italian officials have confirmed.

The salvage operation is due to begin at 06:00 (04:00 GMT) on Monday, and it is being described as one of the largest and most daunting ever attempted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-24102054

• Like 3

I heard once they pull it out and buff it up they're going to give Captain Schettino another run.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 3

in related news:

Costa Concordia breaks free of the rocks

The shipwrecked Costa Concordia broke free of the rocks today as salvage experts mounted an epic effort to rotate it 65 degrees back to upright.

“The ship has detached from the rocks,” said Sergio Girotto, the project engineer.

Read more

• Like 1

i wonder ho much they'll get in salvage money. my dads mate goes away to sea, they done a salvage job, flew out to south Africa were they joined the ship, got £23,000 for two months work. not bad. :tsu: i imagine a ship the size of concordia is worth a hefty sum.

• Like 2

i wonder ho much they'll get in salvage money. my dads mate goes away to sea, they done a salvage job, flew out to south Africa were they joined the ship, got £23,000 for two months work. not bad. :tsu: i imagine a ship the size of concordia is worth a hefty sum.

That sum depends on the actual worth of the wreck and its contents. I doubt that the CC is worth much but scrap metal. And contents (of the usable kind) are not in sight.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Latest -

An operation to remove the wreck of the Costa Concordia cruise ship from the coast of north-west Italy will begin in June, officials say.

The stricken liner will then be taken away to be scrapped.

Ports in Italy, Britain, France, Turkey and China are bidding for the lucrative contract to dismantle the ship, Italian officials said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-25687451

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

in related news:

Costa Concordia wreck towed into Genoa harbour

The rusting hulk of the Costa Concordia was due to arrive at a port on the outskirts of Genoa on Sunday afternoon at the end of a 200-nautical mile journey from the island of Giglio, where it sank more than two and half years ago.

By late morning Genoa's most powerful tug, the 698-tonne Messico, had taken over the cable attached to the bows of the liner and was dragging the giant, 13-deck vessel towards its final destination. A strong, northerly wind that blow off the Alps at dawn had raised fears of a delay.

But the prefect of Genoa, Franco Gabrielli, said the docking of would be completed at around 2pm [1pm BST].

Read more

Well, I guess for the ship the fat lady has sung... now lets see how long it takes Justitia to do her part....

• Like 1

That sum depends on the actual worth of the wreck and its contents. I doubt that the CC is worth much but scrap metal. And contents (of the usable kind) are not in sight.

I would think that the engines and reduction gearboxes, drive shafts and propellers would all be refurbishable and if so would sell for a hefty sum. The ballast would be straight scrap as I suspect would be any electronic equipment except for exterior mounted waterproofed items. It is surprising what gets removed at a marine salvage breakers yard - doors, toilets, taps, basins, window glass, lengths of mahogany and teak etc.