Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aram Chaos on Mars

Waspie_Dwarf

Catastrophic collapse of ice lake created Aram Chaos on Mars

Aram Chaos, the lumpy, bumpy floor of an ancient impact crater on Mars, formed as a result of catastrophic melting and outflow of a buried ice lake. A new study combines observations from satellite photos of the 280 kilometre wide and four kilometre deep crater plus models of the ice melting process and resulting catastrophic outflow. Manuel Roda has presented the results at the European Planetary Science Congress (EPSC) at UCL in London.

Chaotic terrains are enigmatic features, stretching up to hundreds of kilometres across, that are distinctive to Mars. The mechanism by which they formed has been poorly understood by scientists.

arrow3.gifRead more...

catastrophic for who?

• Like 1

catastrophic for who?

I hope no one was hurt
  • Like 1

I hope no one was hurt

You do know Waspie will tell us off.... again.

scared-alien-monster-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

Yea -- that is a good question -- does "catastrophe" contain within its range of meanings an event that is really big and sudden even though no one is there to be effected by it?

Of course this word was used by the news reporter, trying to get attention to his or her story, not by the OP.

• Like 1

You do know Waspie will tell us off.... again.

scared-alien-monster-smiley-emoticon.gif

Yer I guess so,not for the first time.We had a slight dispute a while ago when I said that the Chinese would be next to the Moon.

Of course this word was used by the news reporter, trying to get attention to his or her story, not by the OP.

Not true.

In geology catastrophe has a specific meaning, it means a "sudden, violent change in the Earth's (or in this case Mars') surface". Catastrophic is used quite correctly in this article.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf