Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deadly pine cones

Beany

I was walking around the campus where I work the other day, and a couple of trees were cordoned off with yellow police tape. The grounds keepers doing tree maintenance said the trees, which were really tall, had some heavy pine cones that they were cutting down. They gave me one that had been cut down, and it weighed at least 10 pounds and was very dense. The trees were roped off because if one of the cones broke loose and dropped down from about 25 feet on to someone's head, it would probably kill them. So I had to go back to the office & google Bunya tree. This is what I found:

Search Shortcut

• Like 2

We have a golf course where my high school team regularly practiced at, awhile back a palm fell off a tree on the first tee and implailed someones leg. As one could imagine, this led to regular maintanence, but we still eyed that tree suspiciously at tee off.

Well I think it's awesome that they are proactive about this.

After the deaths from falling tree branches in NYC, which still occur somehow, use NYC as an example.

• Like 1

Holy Moly! I had no idea! Again, learn something new here everyday... :yes:

I want one of those cones!

What in the world would you do with it? :D

Are you planning on collecting them for your xmas tree? Because you'd probably only need one. Either that or you've got a colossal tree! :o lol

• Like 1

What in the world would you do with it? :D

Are you planning on collecting them for your xmas tree? Because you'd probably only need one. Either that or you've got a colossal tree! :o lol

Haha! I just think they are cool. I'd set it out for a conversation piece. Take bets on whether guests thought it was real or not... you know, make a little extra cash... :P

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Dang. That's one big cone. Looks like a pineapple on steroids.

• Like 1

Haha! I just think they are cool. I'd set it out for a conversation piece. Take bets on whether guests thought it was real or not... you know, make a little extra cash... :P

It looks like it would be pretty heavy but in the pic, the person is holding it up seemingly easy enough. I wonder if they can be carved out for Halloween?

A_Bunya_Araucaria_bidwillii_cone.jpg

Ok, now that pine cone is NOT fooling around!!

Is there a baby dragon in there?

• Like 1

Must be some tree. I'd love to have a pine cone like that. You know, throw it at someone who's annoying me. But then, that's probably assault with a deadly weapon, and I'd be hauled off to jail.

• Like 1