Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Interlocking Gears Found on Common Insect

Still Waters

Embedded in the back legs of a common jumping insect are rotating gear wheels that allow the tiny creatures to leap with astounding speed.

It is the first time that anything resembling gears have been found in a living creature, and the discovery goes to show that nature often tends to beat us at our own engineering game. In this case, evolution produced gears long before people figured out how to build them.

http://news.discover...ects-130912.htm

• Like 2

Is this evidence of intelligent design? I think so, but I'm using the term in a different sense than how it is usually used with a religious connotation.

• Like 1

Fascinating but I wish they'd shown a diagram of it, I mean a sketch of the actual gears, it would be interesting to know exactly what they look like. I mean, I know what man-made gears look like, but I would think nature's would look a little different.

• Like 1

And I'm sure they are different, but somehow the concept of gearing must apply? I haven't seen it either, but I'll bet that some engineer somewhere could make a drawing of it. :yes:

As a way of transferring power, some sort of gear thing might manifest. Nature is extremely diverse, and there are critters living underwater who we just found out about relatively lately.

It would be nice to see more on it.

• Like 1