Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A question for all skeptics

Godsnmbr1

If one day you woke up with another voice in your head, and this voice claimed to be God, what would you ask this voice to do in order to prove such a claim?

Edit: I just saw what my picture quote was still set to, but let me assure you--I donot hear voices. Just a coincidence.

Edited by Godsnmbr1
  • Like 4

Solve RSA2048, for starters.

Plus as many other ridiculous math challenges that I could throw at him - otherwise, how would you know it's not just you going mad?

If he manages to solve all of them - and can then predict 100 coin flips that I ask someone else to make at random - then I'll seriously listen to what he has to say.

• Like 7

Strike me down right this very second and bring me to heaven. Then maybe I'd believe.

• Like 1

Where are my keys.

• Like 4

Turn me into God, so I could banish the other voice out of my head. There's only room for one of us and I don't feel like be driven to insanity. :D

Where are my keys.

You never took them out of the car. It's out in the parking lot, with the engine still running.

Edit: That actually happened to me once. Completely sober too =(

Edited by Godsnmbr1

Number 1

Nice to see you. Prove what? So far, you have described something similar to Carl Jung's God.

http://uncertaintist...owledge-of-god/

So, I would brew up some coffee and settle in for a nice chat. Some of what follows, addressed to Tiggs, ampilifes on the above.

Tiggs

And nice to see you, too. That's just the sort of thing I'd expect Carl Jung's God to do (well, not wholesale, but if P=NP, contrary to expectation, and I had a clue, then I would have a life's work cut out for me, and have solved efficient semi-prime factoring as a side effect). However, there were plenty of people who confidently thought they had proven Fermat's Theorem before anybody did, and that correct proof took a long time to formalize (not just one person's work). It's a hard test to evaluate, and I would have to live with this God while awaiting the results.

But more than that, I would be disappointed if my personal God could not slip any cognitive challenge I might propose. As you may recall, in the original The Day the Earth Stood Still, Mr Carpenter proved his bona fides (as allegorical Jesus, so indeed, as some people's God) by altering one line in the professor's work in progress, pointing to the resolution of a stumper. Note that he didn't wait for the challenge, he anticipated it, and he didn't do requests or encores.

As to the coins, my Jungian God (who, by an amazing coincidence, would appear to be a hamster and say many things I would say) would reply "Then it wouldn't be random, would it?" And, as I mentioned to Number 1, there wouldn't be any call for proof anyway. The conscious experience of Jung's God isn't conducive to being prosecutor, judge and jury in one's own case:

(God) is an apt name given to all overpowering emotions in my own psychical system subduing my conscious will and usurping control over myself. This is the name by which I designate all things which cross my willful path violently and recklessly, all things which upset my subjective views, plans, and intentions and change the course of my life for better or worse. In accordance with tradition I callthe power of fate in this positive as well as negative aspect, and inasmuch as its origin is beyond my control, 'god', a 'personal god', since my fate means very much myself, particularly when it approaches me in the form of conscience as a vox Dei, with which I can even converse and argue. (We do and, at the same time, we know that we do. One is subject as well as object.)

I think it is material to the question that I have interior mental experience of the candidate, and only that, as opposed to encountering God in other ways. I wouldn't apply tests, because I wouldn't be a reliable evaluator of them, and because it is unclear whether the God would consent to be tested, or that I would care if it didn't.

• Like 1

You never took them out of the car. It's out in the parking lot, with the engine still running.

Edit: That actually happened to me once. Completely sober too =(

Who needs a voice in my head. I bow to you sir.

I just hope he doesn't start telling me to kill people.

• Like 4

i'd ask the voice to disintigrate simon cowell, live on network TV, thereby making me incredibly popular and attractive to women.....

• Like 2

If one day you woke up with another voice in your head, and this voice claimed to be God, what would you ask this voice to do in order to prove such a claim?

Edit: I just saw what my picture quote was still set to, but let me assure you--I donot hear voices. Just a coincidence.

There have been many "doctors" asking this same question to the people who have claimed this has happened to them, they have been doing this study on places called asylums for years.

• Like 1

People who hear voices should seek medical help.

No, hearing voices would imply that our ears work just fine. It's having imaginary conversations inside one's head that could be a problem...

• Like 1

No, hearing voices would imply that our ears work just fine. It's having imaginary conversations inside one's head that could be a problem...

You don't engage in inner dialogues?

• Like 1

The OP poses a question that assumes an event that hasn't happened and is therefore not "admissible."

I would say if I heard a god speak to me, I would seek out a qualified doctor and get some medicine and some mental treatment.

• Like 2

For me, there could be no proof - but for God, well that would be another matter.

You don't engage in inner dialogues?

You mean like 'thinking'? I do think, and I contemplate, yes. But I certainly do not wake up in the morning with another voice inside my head, telling me that it's the voice of so and so... I hope you get the picture. It's usually more of a monologue when people express their inner thoughts to themselves or have to make choices inside their minds.

• Like 1

Get a glass of water, set it on the counter, don't touch it after that, tell "god" to knock the glass of water over.

• Like 1

Talking to yourself, even if you don't verbalize, is a bad habit that wastes time and interferes with appropriate mindfulness. The mind works fine without putting everything into words -- that is done for talking to other people.

• Like 1

Tiggs

And nice to see you, too. That's just the sort of thing I'd expect Carl Jung's God to do (well, not wholesale, but if P=NP, contrary to expectation, and I had a clue, then I would have a life's work cut out for me, and have solved efficient semi-prime factoring as a side effect). However, there were plenty of people who confidently thought they had proven Fermat's Theorem before anybody did, and that correct proof took a long time to formalize (not just one person's work). It's a hard test to evaluate, and I would have to live with this God while awaiting the results.

You could always refuse to listen to him until his credentials are verified.

But, all in all - I'm pretty okay with things which are fast to verify, but are currently privileged. Checking two numbers multiply to give another number doesn't take that long. Nor does verifying equations for, say, every nth prime (for the first 100k or so of them, anyway).

Obviously - if he can prove P=NP then I'm all ears - but I'm fairly easily pleased, in the big scale of things.

But more than that, I would be disappointed if my personal God could not slip any cognitive challenge I might propose. As you may recall, in the original The Day the Earth Stood Still, Mr Carpenter proved his bona fides (as allegorical Jesus, so indeed, as some people's God) by altering one line in the professor's work in progress, pointing to the resolution of a stumper. Note that he didn't wait for the challenge, he anticipated it, and he didn't do requests or encores.

As to the coins, my Jungian God (who, by an amazing coincidence, would appear to be a hamster and say many things I would say) would reply "Then it wouldn't be random, would it?" And, as I mentioned to Number 1, there wouldn't be any call for proof anyway. The conscious experience of Jung's God isn't conducive to being prosecutor, judge and jury in one's own case:

One man's random is another man's certainty. Random numbers in a computer are only random if you don't know the underlying formula. If it's random from the perspective of the person flipping the coin - then that's random enough for me.

I think it is material to the question that I have interior mental experience of the candidate, and only that, as opposed to encountering God in other ways. I wouldn't apply tests, because I wouldn't be a reliable evaluator of them, and because it is unclear whether the God would consent to be tested, or that I would care if it didn't.

If God doesn't consent to being tested - then, given that he knows I'll ask for privileged information as proof that's he's not, say, someone using this sort of technology - I doubt he'll show up.

• Like 2

Number 1

Nice to see you. Prove what? So far, you have described something similar to Carl Jung's God.

http://uncertaintist...owledge-of-god/

So, I would brew up some coffee and settle in for a nice chat. Some of what follows, addressed to Tiggs, ampilifes on the above.

Tiggs

8ty, i loved your thoughts on this. Very interesting take.

In considering this question myself, my g-d would have to verify itself via my blueprint of what constitutes godhood in my schema. Yet, this tells zip/nada/nil/zero of g-d, it tells me only about what I define as g-d and how I prove this to myself.

For me, it is about as lackluster as one can get and would be along the lines of G-d would not be contingent on an entity of a belief system, but my existing level(standard) of greatest behavior one could aspire too. My acceptable evidence/standard of that which is g-d like behavior versus that which isn't follows like this: surprise me with something I don't know about myself and that this unknown in some way betters me and those I come into contact with -- (in other words that this revelation pans out in reality.) Nothing more or nothing less and all this would serve for me is a justification that my g-d(standard) has passed my personal lie detector test, and now may have some merit in the course of my daily life to be applied for a test run to experience the value it may or may not have.

That is about as much mileage I can get eek out of the question-- it is truly personal --end of story.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

A lot of your tests would not rule out mental illness. Somone with a mental illness may knock over the water and be completely unaware that they did it, and they may also solve a math problem ( being totally wrong) and still believe it solved.

When I see and hear things that others cannot, I neither accept nor deni it's existence. I act as if both realities are real and choose to carry it until useful. All things are manifestations of something.

• Like 3

Yes I would ask them to proove it and then I would go pray and ask to go back to the old way of communicating with God. It's probably a scary thing to go about listening to a voice claiming to be God, but some people do it. I think with practice, discernment and trust you could begin to truly know the voice of God and follow it. This is what's taught in the scriptures but most people cant handle that so God lets his people be sometimes seen as lunatics. When we as the saints begin to allow those titles to effectively apply to our personalities, perhaps it is then when we go mad and forget who our God is to us.

Some hear the audible voice of God on a frequent basis and those may be refered to as prophets and prophetesses. They have a certain message to tell. Some hear it on occassion and it is a refreshment to the soul. Some are being tormented and still they will know the power of God, though the devil's voice is also audible. People who hear voices should know they are special and should have loving support around them, and/or be strong, loving and supportive, thus if the voice truly be God, God would be their strength and use that prophets body as a vessel.

Much love and peace.

;)

Oh, and what would I ask to prove it? Hmm, I would ask that it would start showing me supernatural things as well as blessings, spiritual and physical. I probably wouldn't ask for an exact performance but if I could I would ask to be taken out of the body and come face to face with the Holy Spirit and that whatever act was performed for me would let me know for sure that it was God. Or maybe perform a miracle for someones health, something like that.

Edited by SpiritWriter