Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smart approach to house spider survey

Still Waters

The summer heat might be fading but things are hotting up for house spiders.

If you're not afraid of them, autumn is the best time of year to see one of the arachnids as males come out of their usual hiding places in search of a mate.

And according to the Society of Biology, which has launched a new recording scheme, the spiders may have started early.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/23898679

We've had a couple of big ones in the house already :(

"When male large house spiders stop in the middle of a room, they are not planning who to scare next, as often assumed. They are just exhausted," explains Dr Oxford.

"Like a cheetah they can run very fast for a short distance, and then have to stop to recover."

I didn't know that!

• Like 3

Well, those spiders better start working on their cardio or doing some crossfit. The middle of my living room ain't no place to rest!

• Like 3

Well, those spiders better start working on their cardio or doing some crossfit. The middle of my living room ain't no place to rest!

lol! It's right enough though. Here they always seem to stop in the middle of the mat, and right beside where I'm sitting usually!

I'll keep an eye for those male spiders then!

lol

Don't forget to look up too! They also like ceilings. :D

• Like 3

lol! It's right enough though. Here they always seem to stop in the middle of the mat, and right beside where I'm sitting usually!

Don't forget to look up too! They also like ceilings. :D

[media=]

[/media]

The article tells us that the two types of large House spider can be differentiated by comparing their genitals! :o WHAT!! :blush: Anyone here brave enough to do that?

• Like 4

I like pets you can cuddle! lol

Me too :)

The article tells us that the two types of large House spider can be differentiated by comparing their genitals! :o WHAT!! :blush: Anyone here brave enough to do that?

:lol: That's exactly what I thought when I read that part. Not me that's for sure! :D

• Like 2