Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Jetpack Is Coming - From New Zealand

seeder

What kid hasnt wanted one of these? And now Im all grown up I still want one!!

No Flight of Fancy, the Jetpack Is Coming—From New Zealand

CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand. As standard gear for James Bond and Buzz Lightyear, jetpacks have long captured the public imagination as a way to dodge traffic jams and Cold War villains.

Among the world's aviation regulators, they have been dismissed as a flight of fancy that didn't require any special rules.

But a planned launch of a jetpack in New Zealand next year has bureaucrats scratching their heads, particularly as the machine's makers say the thing can travel up to 7,000 feet in the air at speeds of 50 miles an hour.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323981304579078990245523348.html?mod=ITP_AHED

• Like 1

found some more vids on the tube

George Jettson would Love one ! Maybe ready for manned flight soon it says? Who wants to go first? :tu:

• Like 1

George Jettson would Love one ! Maybe ready for manned flight soon it says? Who wants to go first? :tu:

Id do it if the parachute thing worked....and only over water.. :lol:

But even the modern jet fighter came from the wobbly Wright brothers first attempts.. but now we have modern tech to refine stuff quicker than ever.. I think this will become quite popular. Specially as the military are interested too

Pfffft, Mexico had these ages ago!

tumblr_m7dorhgjWG1qajm56o1_500.jpg

found some more vids on the tube

I would not want to be in that thing when it touches down at 1:11. It would break your neck!

I think it needs a bigger parachute and a rollbar... Edit: It looks like the newest model the test pilot is sitting in has this.

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 1

Pfffft, Mexico had these ages ago!

I would not want to be in that thing when it touches down at 1:11. It would break your neck!

I think it needs a bigger parachute and a rollbar... Edit: It looks like the newest model the test pilot is sitting in has this.

well yes the crash landing after the shute deployed was a bit rough to say the least, but Id expect on a good day youd just touch down lightly :lol:

If the military buy the idea - as the vid hints at their interest - and develop it further though, who knows where this tech could end up? When its all safe to fly and land and if I had the dough Id be very interested to be honest, that and the underwater scooter and Id be very content

aqua-star-underwater-scooter-3.jpg

http://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/vehicles/misc/as1-underwater-diving-scooter-by-aqua-star/

The military apparently liked the scooter idea a lot too, last I heard they were developing their 'own versions'.... maybe for special forces

• Like 1

I think I want one. I just might be dead by the time the price is within the reach of the common man...

• Like 1

I think I want one. I just might be dead by the time the price is within the reach of the common man...

maybe they will turn up at flying clubs, and can be rented by the hour / session - like microlights? Fingers crossed anyway

• Like 1

Or if you run out of fuel, yikes!

• Like 2

Well.... Yes, this is flaming expensive, a possible fireball waiting to happen, and leads to worrying thoughts regarding if you need to have a pilot's licence as well, but come on!

If you could afford it, I'd very possibly buy one! After all, we've been robbed of the silver foil suits promised to us in the 21st Century, so a jet pack's the next best thing!

Oh, another practical thought. Does it come with a basket for your shopping when you do need to pick up groceries?

• Like 1

As the article pointed-out, this is not a "jet-pack" but rather a gas-powered dual propeller type flying craft.

But that's OK too. As it can last longer in the air than a stardard jet-pack, with far less toxic fumes and dangerous heat.

The parachute confused me at first... like, why doesn't he try a controlled landing... until I understood that this was a height test, using-up all it's gasoline, and needing a parachute to get back down safely.

Great post, seeder.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

As the article pointed-out, this is not a "jet-pack" but rather a gas-powered dual propeller type flying craft.

But that's OK too. As it can last longer in the air than a stardard jet-pack, with far less toxic fumes and dangerous heat.

The parachute confused me at first... like, why doesn't he try a controlled landing... until I understood that this was a height test, using-up all it's gasoline, and needing a parachute to get back down safely.

Great post, seeder.

:tu: Cheers mate! yeh the shute must be a 'required' safety test of sorts, I mean who would want to fly so high without a shute? It can only get better. If the military develop the idea - imagine how good their end result will be, with more money and resources to refine it?

Before they make this available, they had better pass some "no texting while flying" laws, the knuckleheads in cars are dangerous enough!

maybe they will turn up at flying clubs, and can be rented by the hour / session - like microlights? Fingers crossed anyway

Like Segways, just a few insurance forms to fill in before you fly.

Interesting to see how this pans out, the first thing my son asked is how much it will be and would I buy one.

• Like 1

Like Segways, just a few insurance forms to fill in before you fly.

Interesting to see how this pans out, the first thing my son asked is how much it will be and would I buy one.

all new stuff costs big money, and why not, that guy did 30 years of his life to develop that!! So yeh, give it time and it'll be cheaper...or for hire at clubs etc

It seems to me parking options would be quite limited. Maybe land on your office roof?

I don't see any wheels. So I guess you're stuck where you land, so get it right the first time?

Looks like a blast though! 7000 feet up, perfect

Well, if it ever gets to a price-point that is affordable to the masses, I hope there will be some type of regulation:

I once saw a Nature video of birds flying after consuming intoxicating berries. It was not a pretty site. They were flying into each other, also falling to the ground, and also crashing into trees.

...I once saw a Nature video of birds flying after consuming intoxicating berries. It was not a pretty site. They were flying into each other, also falling to the ground, and also crashing into trees.

Sold! They've promised us these things since the Seattle World's Fair ('62?). I'm in. Next up, Flying Cars!

Hey, you can't live forever.

• Like 1

Don't mind me if I go ahead and become a bounty hunter and change my name to Boba Fett.

Don't mind me if I go ahead and become a bounty hunter and change my name to Boba Fett.

That might be a bad idea. Giving what happened to him... :td: Now, changing your name to Rocketeer though.... :tu:

waste of money for a noisy experience that will only get you so far and so high till you have to parachute back to land. The Rocketeers jetpack is the ideal jet pack for the aerospace fanatic.