Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Decades-old bodies found in sunken cars

Still Waters

Human remains found in two cars pulled from an Oklahoma lakebed could be those of people who went missing more than four decades ago, police have said.

Custer County authorities were taking sonar readings at Foss Lake last week when they found the cars.

On Tuesday they pulled a 1969 Camaro and a 1950s-era Chevy to shore and found five bodies, local media report.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-24146745

• Like 1

When I first heard about and read and watch this bit of news, I was wondering if it was foul play, considering how both cars were side by side, they disappeared at different times. I don't know if it's a stretch of the imagination to think it's possible, or it's just a case of going into the lake by accident, the people were trapped and drowned, and it just so happen the second car rested next to the first one.

• Like 1

in other news source they said cars got there a year apart, not related.

it is not that unusual for ppl to missjudge ice thicknes and drive over it. and end up under it. and having both beright next to each other, hints on them using same boat launch area to get on the ice.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

You know, especially if people aren't familiar with an area, it's not hard to imagine such accidents occurring when the freakin' road leads straight into a lake.

Here's a recent story where fog was also a factor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2376834/Amy-Stiner-dies-Pregnant-woman-friend-accidentally-drive-boat-ramp-ocean-DROWN-minutes-rescued-hiking-mountaintop.html

• Like 1

in other news source they said cars got there a year apart, not related.

it is not that unusual for ppl to missjudge ice thicknes and drive over it. and end up under it. and having both beright next to each other, hints on them using same boat launch area to get on the ice.

Considering the lowest average temperature by month in Oklahoma is nearly 30 degrees, I don't think ice was a factor. I don't think anyone there would be dumb enough to drive a car on ice there, especially with the 5000 lb beasts they were driving back then.

Considering the lowest average temperature by month in Oklahoma is nearly 30 degrees, I don't think ice was a factor. I don't think anyone there would be dumb enough to drive a car on ice there, especially with the 5000 lb beasts they were driving back then.

doesn't mean it could not have been in 20's for few days, enough to freeze a lake, add a bit snow. and you got a problem, as post above shows, even fog is enough

Edited by aztek

I'm just amazed that those vehicles went undiscovered for all these years.

I hope LE everywhere are enlightened about how and where to search when people go missing with their vehicles.

I remember in the Susan Smith case, LE had previously searched the lake, but they missed the vehicle the first time because they'd underestimated the distance it could drift from the boat ramp.

I'm just amazed that those vehicles went undiscovered for all these years.

I hope LE everywhere are enlightened about how and where to search when people go missing with their vehicles.

I remember in the Susan Smith case, LE had previously searched the lake, but they missed the vehicle the first time because they'd underestimated the distance it could drift from the boat ramp.

Why should that be amazing, the Neanderthal man was not discovered until 300,000 years after he died. Nobody had any reason to look deep into that lake so nobody did.

Why should that be amazing, the Neanderthal man was not discovered until 300,000 years after he died. Nobody had any reason to look deep into that lake so nobody did.

I didn't say it "should be" amazing; I said it amazes me, and not because they didn't look, but because the vehicles were at a depth of only 12' and I would imagine they've experienced drought conditions and the average depth of that lake is only 19' to start with.

The vehicles weren't "deep into the lake"; they were a mere 50' feet out.

I didn't say it "should be" amazing; I said it amazes me, and not because they didn't look, but because the vehicles were at a depth of only 12' and I would imagine they've experienced drought conditions and the average depth of that lake is only 19' to start with.

The vehicles weren't "deep into the lake"; they were a mere 50' feet out.

Always allow for human disinterest. I would not be surprised if somebody had seen the roof of any of those cars and thought nothing of it... except that some neighbor had a fine way to get rid of an old clunker for cheap.

Always allow for human disinterest. I would not be surprised if somebody had seen the roof of any of those cars and thought nothing of it... except that some neighbor had a fine way to get rid of an old clunker for cheap.

My point is that apparently, that lake hasn't been effected by serious drought since before 1969, if ever.

Edited by regi

doesn't mean it could not have been in 20's for few days, enough to freeze a lake, add a bit snow. and you got a problem, as post above shows, even fog is enough

I grew up in the North East and have visited the mid-Atlantic states during rare snow falls too, and I noticed

Sheer panic when driving on a dusting of snow, where we would consider a foot or two

Nothing to yelp about. I wouldn't be surprised if it was and iced up lake in Oklahome and people

Thought it was cool to drive over it or it was a rare shortcut for them.