Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More Craziness From California

Kowalski

The Constitution guarantees the right to free speech, but don’t try to pass out copies of it at Modesto Junior College in California.

A student at the school who tried to pass out pocket-size pamphlets of the very document that memorializes our rights got shut down on Sept. 17 – a date also known as Constitution Day. Campus authorities told Robert Van Tuinen, who caught the whole thing on videotape, he could only pass out the free documents at a tiny designated spot on campus, and only then if he scheduled it several days in advance.

“Watching the video is a combination of depressing and nauseating, to see what rigamarole students have to go through to express,” said Robert Shibley, senior vice president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE), which has taken on campus speech codes around the nation.

Van Tuinen, who said he’d read up on the school’s regulations and expected to get chased away from outside the student center, went to FIRE with the video. The foundation penned an email letter to the school’s administration on Van Tuinen’s behalf early Thursday, but Shibley said there had been no response later in the day

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/19/california-college-bars-student-from-handing-out-copies-constitution/

Really? :no:

Funny coming from such an outspoken Democratic state, oh wait there's a Democrat in the White House and look where that got us.

• Like 3

I don't necessarily have a problem with this. Do you really want everyone to be able to pass out anything they want on a college campus all day every day? There's no special rule for individuals I'm sure. If this kid was allowed to pass out the constitution, someone else could pass out a religious tract and the next a pamphlet about the local girly bar or something.

The litter would be outrageous.

• Like 1

I don't necessarily have a problem with this. Do you really want everyone to be able to pass out anything they want on a college campus all day every day? There's no special rule for individuals I'm sure. If this kid was allowed to pass out the constitution, someone else could pass out a religious tract and the next a pamphlet about the local girly bar or something.

There's a difference between the SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND and a pamphlet about, let's say, Mormonism.

California, home of the fascists.

• Like 1

There's a difference between the SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND and a pamphlet about, let's say, Mormonism.

California, home of the fascists.

Speaking from experience, I'd call it Home of the Idiots.

• Like 4

Authoritarianism is derived from the consent of those who blindly follow idiocy.

I'd say we are both correct.

• Like 2

The point is it's against the First Amendment.

As long as the person isn't causing a disturbance, or a mob, they should be able to pass out whatever they want.

Authoritarianism is derived from the consent of those who blindly follow idiocy.

I'd say we are both correct.

Yep. That's about right. :tu:

We should rename this thread. Lets name it More craziness from the Western USA, or maybe from The United States. Or even better, more craziness from North America. California had nothing to do with this, apart from the fact that the college happens to be there. Yet some in this thread are blaming the state of California for this. Fox News is also no exception. Kinda strikes one as nonsense doesn't it? I happen to agree with what Purplos said.

We should rename this thread. Lets name it More craziness from the Western USA, or maybe from The United States. Or even better, more craziness from North America. California had nothing to do with this, apart from the fact that the college happens to be there. Yet some in this thread are blaming the state of California for this. Fox News is also no exception. Kinda strikes one as nonsense doesn't it? I happen to agree with what Purplos said.

I'd agree that The United States in general is pretty crazy.

California is just the home of the crazies.

Although I agree, Faux News is no better.

• Like 1

If people didn't take it seriously, Fox News would be the greatest comedy show ever.

Actually most news channels are pockets of comedy gold.

• Like 1

A California college student says his First Amendment rights were violated on Tuesday, “Constitution Day,” when officials at Modesto Junior College forbid him from passing out copies of the U.S. Constitution outside the student center.

In a video posted on

, college police and administrators can be seen ordering Robert Van Tuinen to stop passing out Constitution pamphlets. He claims it took less than 10 minutes for a campus police officer to arrive and tell him that anything he passed out on campus needed to be registered with the Student Development office.

Van Tuinen was informed that he was permitted to relocate in the college’s “free speech zone” — but he would have to schedule his act of free speech ahead of time.

Link: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/19/what-this-california-college-wouldnt-let-students-do-on-constitution-day-may-make-your-blood-boil/

By the way, today was Constitution Day.

I'm sure if someone had been handing out pamphlets of Martin Luther King, Jr speeches on Martin Luther King Jr. day no one would have said anything..... :no:

As long as their not creating a disturbance, they should be able to hand out whatever they want. It's called Freedom of Speech. And that's in the Constitution.

• Like 2

MODESTO, Calif., September 19, 2013—In a stunning illustration of the attitude taken towards free speech by too many colleges across the United States, Modesto Junior College in California told a student that he could not pass out copies of the United States Constitution outside the student center on September 17, 2013—Constitution Day. Captured on video, college police and administrators demanded that Robert Van Tuinen stop passing out Constitution pamphlets and told him that he would only be allowed to pass them out in the college’s tiny free speech zone, and only after scheduling it several days or weeks ahead of time. The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) has written to Modesto, demanding that the college rescind this policy immediately.

“The video of Modesto Junior College police and administrators stubbornly denying a public college student’s right to freely pass out pamphlets to fellow students—copies of the Constitution, no less!—should send a chill down the spine of every American,” said FIRE Senior Vice President Robert Shibley. “Worse, FIRE’s research shows that Modesto Junior College is hardly alone in its fear of free speech. In fact, one in six of America’s 400 largest and most prestigious colleges have ‘free speech zones’ limiting where speech can take place. This video brings to life the deeply depressing reality of the climate for free speech on campus.”

Link: http://reason.com/24-7/2013/09/19/calif-community-college-blocks-student-f

At Ohio State University were I go people can pass out whatever they want. Anytime anywhere. Talk to the professor before class and you can pass it out to the class.

And it is no problem. Its really not a problem...

If you get something just throw it away or pass it on. its really not annoying.

I really don't know what your picturing? but its not like some constant chaotic thing lol Its acutally fun because you get informed about a lot of events and junk.

But maybe Ohio actually encourages people to get involved and help the world and think :whistle:

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

At Ohio State University were I go people can pass out whatever they want. Anytime anywhere. Talk to the professor before class and you can pass it out to the class.

And it is no problem. Its really not a problem...

If you get something just throw it away or pass it on. its really not annoying.

I really don't know what your picturing? but its not like some constant chaotic thing lol Its acutally fun because you get informed about a lot of events and junk.

But maybe Ohio actually encourages people to get involved and help the world and think :whistle:

Most likely! :tu:

​And I thought that is what most colleges did anyway....

I always assumed so too but I guess not in cali

• Like 1

Much ado about nothing.

The college has a rule about handing out leaflets. Why does it matter what the material is.

If the people don't like the rule, then go about changing it.

• Like 2

Is "Modesto Junior College" a private university. You do not have free speech everywhere. A public sidewalk yes, a private one not so much.

• Like 1

Is "Modesto Junior College" a private university. You do not have free speech everywhere. A public sidewalk yes, a private one not so much.

I realized that after I watched the video.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you on this one ninjadude.

As much as I disagree in principle.

Private universities.. Sheesh.. :td:

• Like 1

No, it is a public "Junior College".......I spent some time there many years ago. Not quite sure what to make of this though. Funny, I find out about it here instead of the news......

• Like 2

I thought Minnesota was the home of Michelle Bachmann......there's some crazy going on with her....

• Like 2

I thought Minnesota was the home of Michelle Bachmann......there's some crazy going on with her....

Right on.

You might as well add Alaska to the list, because Sarah Palin isn't making it easy, either.

Or whatever realm of hell Hilary Clinton crawled out of.

• Like 1

This is not news. The campus has rules in place, and that applies to every student, no matter what the situation. It is also not a surprise that Burt brings up Martin Luther King Day...keep it up with the race baiting. If you are going to try to defend the consitution in every thread you make, you should educate yourself what freedom of speech actually means.

• Like 1

This is not news. The campus has rules in place, and that applies to every student, no matter what the situation. It is also not a surprise that Burt brings up Martin Luther King Day...keep it up with the race baiting. If you are going to try to defend the consitution in every thread you make, you should educate yourself what freedom of speech actually means.

I wasn't race baiting. Just making a point. Which you obviously don't seem to get....

And if someone was handing out Martin Luther King, Jr. speeches on Martin Luther King Jr day they have every right to do so. Never said they didn't. Just pointing out the double standards and hypocrisy that is going on.

The point is, the campus has rules and regulations that apply to EVERYONE. No soliciting without a permit. You cannot make an exception just because you believe in the cause. Why are people like you always spitting out the what ifs? Unless you can show an example of them being ok with another situation, your what ifs hold no ground whatsoever.

And for those claiming that public university=public property=you can say whatever you want...read this.

http://ogc.arizona.edu/files/3-11_Revised_Memo_First_Amendment.pdf

Edited by Agent0range

I wonder how passing out leaflets = freedom of speech. I mean, everyone should be able to voice their opinions, etc. No doubt about that. But someone in this thread even brought up the difference between the law of the land and a religious book. Why is there a difference if we're talking about the first amendment here?

To infer that someone is anti-constitution just because there's some rule about soliciting or passing out pamphlets to everyone who walks by is rather silly logic.They could be, but it's hardly a direct correlation.