Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cancer hospital needs blood of 100 virgins

Elfin

http://www.bubblews.com/news/1150345-chinese-hospital-asks-for-100-virgins-to-study-hpv

The Peking University Cancer Hospital says it needs the blood of 100 female virgins to study the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), an affliction usually contracted through sexual activity.

The hospital asks that the women be aged 18-24, since their blood is "less likely to be infected with HPV."

Chinese social media erupted over claims of such a study being demeaning to women and "promoting virginity worship."

"It's in line with international practice to collect female virgins' blood samples, which serve as negative control substances in HPV research" says hospital spokeswoman Guan Jiuping, "given that the risk of contracting HPV is low among women who have never had sex."

Possibly the strangest aspect of this request is that the hospital is using the honor system and won't be conducting tests to see if volunteers are being truthful about their virginity.

• Like 2

Yeah I can't find a joke that doesn't involve Satan worship and El just beat me to it.

And the honar system, really China? North Korea maybe, but China? A billion people and nothing else to do, what do you think is going to happen!?!

• Like 1

When asked how doctors would verify the virgin donors’ blood, hospital officials said they would take the doctors’ word for it.

I see the results will be very reliable....lol

Opponents of the request have pointed to the unnecessary premium that the hospital is placing on virginity, as Chinese culture has often prized a woman’s virginal status before marriage. The market for artificial hymens and restorative surgeries to mimic virginity among women has grown in recent years, according to Agence France-Presse.

Sometimes I wonder if we are really living in the year 2013.....or is it still 1813?

• Like 2

Watch ONE woman walk in there and be like "Oh, I'm still a virgin." and by lying and shes that one out of a hundred, that has HPV. And then they use her blood. And then everybody else gets it.

Watch ONE woman walk in there and be like "Oh, I'm still a virgin." and by lying and shes that one out of a hundred, that has HPV. And then they use her blood. And then everybody else gets it.

What the hell? I missed the part where they're going to inject others with womens blood.
  • Like 2

They won't inject other women with her blood, they will just test her blood cells.

But I am positive many will go saying they are virgins when they are not! lol

Ooh... I don't know a lot about medical stuff... I tend to stay away from blood. It scares me.

That's got to be one of the best ones I've heard in a long time. Elizabeth Bathory, anyone?