Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will Comet ISON Break Up?

Waspie_Dwarf

Will Comet ISON Break Up?

Comet ISON is an interesting comet in many ways, but we know it won't hit us. There is speculation among astronomers however, that it could break up into pieces.

Why? Well, that's why we made this video. Please let us know what you think in the comments!

For more on Comet ISON, please visit our blog:

http://hubblesite.org/go/ison

Credit: NASA/STScI

Source: HubbleSite - ISON blog

It can't break up, we've been assured that it's actually an alien spaceship!

• Like 1

It can't break up, we've been assured that it's actually an alien spaceship!

Stop listening to the people in the tin foil hats.

It would look pretty neat if it did.

It probably would happen too soon for it to be in best viewing, leaving a bunch of small comets to dim to see well -- not the spectacular comet we were hoping for.

If it breaks up are the pieces liable to be dangerous to us at some future time depending on whether their orbits will coincide with ours.

If it breaks up are the pieces liable to be dangerous to us at some future time depending on whether their orbits will coincide with ours.

No for two reasons.

Firstly its orbit does not insect that of the Earth (it passes above and below it).

Secondly it is on an ejection trajectory. After passing the sun it will continue out of the solar system, never returning.

No for two reasons.

Firstly its orbit does not insect that of the Earth (it passes above and below it).

Secondly it is on an ejection trajectory. After passing the sun it will continue out of the solar system, never returning.

Tks for the info. I just wondered what might happen.
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone can assure anything when it comes to comets or meteorites. With billions spent on technology by various countries, I'm surprised not one of them could detect the incoming meteorite that descended on Russia. Are we now to believe that ISON will just pass on by with no effects to planet earth? Mother earth is busy rock-n-rolling and I don't believe anyone will be able to predict the outcome--it's just my take on it.

I don't think anyone can assure anything when it comes to comets or meteorites. With billions spent on technology by various countries, I'm surprised not one of them could detect the incoming meteorite that descended on Russia. Are we now to believe that ISON will just pass on by with no effects to planet earth? Mother earth is busy rock-n-rolling and I don't believe anyone will be able to predict the outcome--it's just my take on it.

It is not assumption it is knowledge. Orbital mechanics have been understood since the time of Kepler and Newton. Orbits can be calculated with incredible precision.

Not one object ever has disobeyed these laws, "magic" never happens. ISON will follow the exact orbit that has been calculated for it. That's not assumption, it is the absence of superstition.

You carry on believing what you like, but I'll take knowledge over belief any day.

It is not assumption it is knowledge. Orbital mechanics have been understood since the time of Kepler and Newton. Orbits can be calculated with incredible precision.

Not one object ever has disobeyed these laws, "magic" never happens. ISON will follow the exact orbit that has been calculated for it. That's not assumption, it is the absence of superstition.

You carry on believing what you like, but I'll take knowledge over belief any day.

The day we see an object disobey these rules is the day you can start believing there is intelligent life out there and they can cross interstellar space. :tu: