Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Intriguing aerial views of Peru - odd lines

Macroramphosis

Further away from the area in the other pic, and closer to the coastline are some hills.abcbJFUp.jpg

In amongst them are some rather peculiar lines, which one would assume to be quite old, obliterated as they are by either a larva flow or some other mechanism. But they are rather interesting. Why would anyone have made this shape, in this area, with these features ? The lines might continue further under the "larva" flow, but cannot be seen.

acnFW39Q.jpg

Any thoughts, learned friends ?

If you zoom out of the picture above you can see the surrounding area quite clearly, and the direction from which the "larva" came - though seems to be no volcano in that direction, so it may even be a glacial moraine, which begs the question, how old are the lines ? The red arrow points to the 'V' pictured above.

acyM3TXs.jpg

I'm hoping a Peru expert can tell us what the lines were for, I haven't a clue, I must admit.

It also appears that there are modern dirt roads near the lines. And that these lines also disappear under the flow. This would lead me to believe this is actually a mud flow, or maybe an avalance of dirt and rocks. I'd guess the lines date to the same general time periods when other lines were done on the ground in Peru.

• Like 1

Perhaps a landslide caused by earthquake might be a better bet ?

I must admit that I thought the tracks were not roads, as such, but as you say it does indicate a more recent situation than ancient. Any ideas what the lines represented or what they might be for ? It just seems such a strange arrangement..

Honestly don't know. The theory I'm familar with and most believe is that the lines were laid out by the pre-Inca peoples in relation to ceremonys and in relation to sources of water. Since the West side of the Andies is mostly desert, knowing where water was, and putting out signs to find it was an actual big deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazca_Lines#Purpose

In 1985, the archaeologist Johan Reinhard published archaeological, ethnographic, and historical data demonstrating that worship of mountains and other water sources predominated in Nazca religion and economy from ancient to recent times. He theorized that the lines and figures were part of religious practices involving the worship of deities associated with the availability of water, which directly related to the success and productivity of crops. He interpreted the lines as sacred paths leading to places where these deities could be worshiped. The figures were symbols representing animals and objects meant to invoke the gods' aid in supplying water. The precise meanings of many of the individual geoglyphs remain unsolved as of 2013.