Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Red squirrels fighting back after 140 years

Still Waters

The number of red squirrels is on the rise after 140 years while foreign greys are declining, a survey has disclosed.

Indigenous red squirrels were almost wiped out after greys were introduced from North America in the 19th century.

The native species survived in only a few pockets in the north of England, the Isle of Wight and Scotland.

http://www.telegraph...hting-back.html

• Like 2

I don't want the grey ones to die, but I do want the red ones to increase their numbers.

I remember reading a while ago that the grey squirrels breed at a much faster rate than the native ones, so maybe evolution has helped the red cuties with their breeding process?

Cute little buggers. Definitely not the red squirrels we have here in the States - those little dudes are nasty with a capital N. I can't imagine anything pushing them out.

My few acres of beech wood is swarming with greys. They take birds eggs and fledglings and sometimes kill off small trees by stripping the bark. I've put dozens of humane traps out, but they're canny little buggers! The reds will have a hard time colonising that area, I'm afraid!

So the come back fight is on, the Reds v the Greys... We shall fight in the woods,and in the trees,and in the hills and valleys and even the traffic when we cross the roads, and we shall be equal once again. (We shall never surrender.. W.Churchill).

• Like 1

Cute little buggers. Definitely not the red squirrels we have here in the States - those little dudes are nasty with a capital N. I can't imagine anything pushing them out.

Are you talking about the little red ones with an orange underside about the size of a small chipmunk? Those are our native squirrels here in the Northwest and for a couple years, I was feeding a family of them. And yes, they are a little aggressive. One of them went after a blue jay once when the jay tried to take a peanut off the ground. That little squirrel was a lot smaller than the jay and I thought he was going to pull the jay's tail feathers out before he was through. Smart little things, though I never got them to jump up on the porch and take a peanut from my hand like the gray squirrels did.

Are you talking about the little red ones with an orange underside about the size of a small chipmunk? Those are our native squirrels here in the Northwest and for a couple years, I was feeding a family of them. And yes, they are a little aggressive. One of them went after a blue jay once when the jay tried to take a peanut off the ground. That little squirrel was a lot smaller than the jay and I thought he was going to pull the jay's tail feathers out before he was through. Smart little things, though I never got them to jump up on the porch and take a peanut from my hand like the gray squirrels did.

That sounds like them. There are also red squirrels down south that are about the size of traditional grey squirrels that we always called fox squirrels. The small red ones seem to be limited to northern states.

They are aggressive and run most other squirrels off. They also like to gnaw holes in your house and move in with you. I've removed several from walls over the years.

They look like the Kaibab squirrels that are only found on the northern rim of the grand canyon. Anyone know of a connection?

http://en.wikipedia....Kaibab_squirrel

Kaibibs and the Eurasian Red Squirrel are the same Genus (Sciurus), but the archetypal American Red belongs to the Genus Tamiascurius and their range includes most of Canada and US East of the Rockies.

So the come back fight is on, the Reds v the Greys... We shall fight in the woods,and in the trees,and in the hills and valleys and even the traffic when we cross the roads, and we shall be equal once again. (We shall never surrender.. W.Churchill).

skullsquirrel.jpg

"Come on then....If yer fink yer 'ard enuff!!!..........

I'm ferrever blowin' bubbles.....!"

• Like 1

Kaibibs and the Eurasian Red Squirrel are the same Genus (Sciurus), but the archetypal American Red belongs to the Genus Tamiascurius and their range includes most of Canada and US East of the Rockies.

Thanks. i seen a few of the Kaibibs while visiting the Grand Canyon this summer. They are very cool.

skullsquirrel.jpg

"Come on then....If yer fink yer 'ard enuff!!!..........

I'm ferrever blowin' bubbles.....!"

Aha a West Ham supporting squirrel fan, forever blowing bubbles, the reply is rude...

• Like 1