Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

horrible thought on evolution

ambelamba

Surely I believe that evolution explains a lot of things about life on earth.

Except for certain aspect of human origin.

We are too vile, selfish, inconsiderate, greedy, and plain evil to be the results of purely natural evolution. But if there's any design process involved with our orign, he must be one sick jerk because our mind has too many flaws.

Yeah, now "modern" society just "hunts" at Taco Bell, Subway, McDonalds, a favorite restaurant, a grocery store, etc...

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 3

All living beings, no matter if plant, protozoa, bacteria or vertebrate are selfish. Most are not vile because they don't understand the concept (which is precondition to being vile). And every species tries to be dominant in its environment. Some are more successful than others though.

• Like 5

We are too vile, selfish, inconsiderate, greedy, and plain evil to be the results of purely natural evolution. But if there's any design process involved with our orign, he must be one sick jerk because our mind has too many flaws.

Loathing doesn't solve anything.

Railing against God once again?

• Like 2

Surely selfishness is an intrinsic part of Darwinian evolution, isn't that what it's all about? So it's not a design error by God, it's the natural result of evolution.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 2

Much of our greed and selfishness can be explained as being derived from our need to survive.
  • Like 3

I do not think it is just humans.

The whole of evolution can be considered egotistical.. selfish.. survival of the fittest.

Just to explain it with something we ALL are familiar with.

ants

1. they wage war

2. they enslave other ants and will work them to death

3. they farmed long before humans

look them up

evolution is not about survival of the nicest species, it is about survival of the fittest, and there is no guarentee humans will be the winner in all this :P

• Like 5

I do not think it is just humans.

The whole of evolution can be considered egotistical.. selfish.. survival of the fittest.

Just to explain it with something we ALL are familiar with.

ants

1. they wage war

2. they enslave other ants and will work them to death

3. they farmed long before humans

look them up

evolution is not about survival of the nicest species, it is about survival of the fittest, and there is no guarentee humans will be the winner in all this :P

there's one crawling about on the screen now, in fact.

:unsure2:

• Like 1

there's one crawling about on the screen now, in fact.

:unsure2:

yup.. i managed to capture one ant and enslave it to be my sig...

survival of the fittest darlin.. survival of the fittest!

• Like 2

This made me a bit sad. :( I find the opposite to be true. We humans have evolved into beings that better themselves all the time. Without (or in spite of) any deity giving us a helping hand. People live longer, diseases have been cured and many more will be. We have more of an awareness of the world around us. We've made steps (small for now) towards equality for all, trying to feed, educate and fee oppressed people. (Still a way to go but we are going.) There is a bigger push towards "love thy neighbor" today than I have ever seen in my life.

Of course we have the lunatic fundies that seem to get too much press but in my view, for every crazy negative there are tons of positive shouting them down.

Just my thoughts.

Nibs

• Like 5

yup.. i managed to capture one ant and enslave it to be my sig...

survival of the fittest darlin.. survival of the fittest!

Poor guy seems to be ...well.. quite mad..

This made me a bit sad. :( I find the opposite to be true. We humans have evolved into beings that better themselves all the time. Without (or in spite of) any deity giving us a helping hand. People live longer, diseases have been cured and many more will be. We have more of an awareness of the world around us. We've made steps (small for now) towards equality for all, trying to feed, educate and fee oppressed people. (Still a way to go but we are going.) There is a bigger push towards "love thy neighbor" today than I have ever seen in my life.

Of course we have the lunatic fundies that seem to get too much press but in my view, for every crazy negative there are tons of positive shouting them down.

Just my thoughts.

Nibs

This is true.... If all animals are naturly selfish and primal, human beings are the only ones to evolve to the point where they can try ( with varying degrees of success) to not be. Will this be our undoing? Time will tell.

• Like 1

Some people are "vile, selfish, inconsiderate, greedy, and plain evil " and some people are not. Cooperation can be a powerful survival tool as well.

• Like 4

We're just the noisiest animals on earth.

Edited by lightly

We are too vile, selfish, inconsiderate, greedy, and plain evil to be the results of purely natural evolution

Nah, because vile, selfish, inconsiderate, greedy and evil people still have no problem breeding.

And quite frankly, I'm with HerNibs. Ticks me off a bit when I see people so insanely down on the human race as a whole. Sure, some people do tons of bad stuff, but can you ever notice any of the really good things too? It's just sad how negative some people are.

• Like 2

Google "Selfish Gene"

Or watch a vid.

P.S. It's digital compression loss not reptillian.

• Like 2

Not necessarily, first of all morality (what you consider evil) is subjective.

Second, it is behavior that we developed around a certain need during our evolution.

Third, its not anyones design, if it were someones design, it would have to be nature for behaving the way she does, evolving the way it does.

Its not sick, it just is what it is.

You dig?

Edited by Palmy-Ra
  • Like 2

We are too vile, selfish, inconsiderate, greedy, and plain evil to be the results of purely natural evolution.

I think you are being too selective, humans and other apes are more complex than that.

[media=]

[/media]

Google "Selfish Gene"

Or watch a vid.

P.S. It's digital compression loss not reptillian.

And there we have scientific proof that (evil) selfish behavior is unsustainable and will implode. Good wins ;)

At least it got us this far, but a better way can now take over.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

Maybe I should have mentioned these instead: Cognitive Dissonance, incoherent thinking process, constant inconsistencies in general cognitive functions.

None of them, I think , has any kind of evolutionary advantage whatsoever.

Maybe I should have mentioned these instead: Cognitive Dissonance, incoherent thinking process, constant inconsistencies in general cognitive functions.

None of them, I think , has any kind of evolutionary advantage whatsoever.

I dunno if they have any evolutionary advantage -- in my experience those who want to can be very clever with natural selection in putting together stories to show that practically anything has evolutionary advantage. They do this out of reductionist instincts, not out of scientific impulses.

I fully accept the fact of evolution in our history, and have incorporated it into my philosophy. I nevertheless see traits that don't have evolutionary foundations unless one engages in the far-fetched. Many cases of altruism, compassion, art, religion and other human traits have a hard time fitting into the evolutionary natural selection block.

• Like 1

One more thing, Frank: the vast majority of population listen and submit to the authority no matter how ridiculous the creed is.

I can't get into too much, but I am not the only one who suspects that we were tampered. Pretty badly. Our genes are so thoroughly rigged that any attempt to fix the psychological and cognitive problems at the gene level would utterly fail.

• Like 1