Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US plane in 1961 'nuclear bomb near-miss'

Still Waters

Your statement is rather complex, as it's mixing different specific events and timelines, so I'm not sure how to offer an opinion.

However, I presume your thrust is with regards to complete transparency regarding military matters.

Would that be correct?

Your statement is rather complex, as it's mixing different specific events and timelines, so I'm not sure how to offer an opinion.

However, I presume your thrust is with regards to complete transparency regarding military matters.

Would that be correct?

It was not only the military investigating these cases. Once one of them happen you have a whole shitload of people stomping all over the place to see what happened, how it happened and what laws and regulations are needed to avoid them happening in the future. Our rack case moved even politicians to send their staffers to "investigate". So somewhere there is a paper trail that can be followed. The military knows that too.

There are many small things you can hide (like somebody hitting his foot instead of the target), but once a few alarm bells go off it will be on some record. Hiding anything (but who is to blame) leads nowhere then.

In our case, it was prohibited to play the "pick up a penny with a forklift" game in the ordinance hanger. Some guys got demoted, oihers saw the end of their careers.

Edited by questionmark

One of the difficult subjects regarding all governments on the "world stage" is with regards to how much military info, secret projects, military accidents, etc.. are to be made available to the general public, and hence eventually the entire world.

I think that all of the "Superpowers" have very strict rules of disclosure , as advanced technology can truly be awesome(or disturbing), literally changing the balance of power.

I think the USAF also accidently drop nukes off the coast of Spain. Those boys keep loosing their toys.

I was standing in the park wondering why frisbees got bigger as they get closer. Then it hit me.

Everything we do is prone to human error, to be honest, I am surprised we haven't been blown up as of yet by our own nukes considering the fact there will always be human error. Let's be honest, the government is doing a remarkable job of keeping those nukes safe compared to other countries.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if something like this happened at Roswell. Like a bomber or two struck in mid air by lightening, armed nuclear bombs on board, undercarriage problem, or collision in mid air perhaps with a top secret radar focusing metallic covered balloon of some sort etc. Plane(s) belly landed near base no detonations thank god. But what if I ask, if the thing had gone off? Say on the runway or after sliding into a hanger or above a bunker? OK a Plutonium warhead might not manage to develop a critical mass due to unequal "heat generated" detonation of explosive lenses, but a gun type uranium bomb uses a explosive driven slug to do the job. Gun powder in those days i believe but i could be wrong. If i remember right late 1940's explosives had a tendency to get very unhappy when exposed to red hot metal inside burning aircraft. Toss in the winds from a storm and the heat would be higher too. Personally i think within a short number of years the atomic bomb would have been banned worldwide, (Politicians have to listen to the public or they loose their jobs) and about 3000+ Soviet tanks and about 10 million Russian troops backed up by 10000+ aircraft would have conquered Western Europe. China would probably be at war with America, and everybody on the side of GOOD would have been saying Adolph Hitler had been RIGHT! Imagine the political turmoil that in itself would cause. "If we'd backed Hitler and Togo we wouldn't be in this situation" etc. World war two had just ended, the devastated parts of the world was still recovering, the hated of Germany Japan and Italy was still very strong, and suddenly the bad guys have become the new Jesus Christ our dear leaders have caused us to crucify! Unfortunately human beings are very good at picturing scenarios and making decisions upon what they "see", and so if the truth had come out the bomb would have been banned anyway. Therefore it was decided to create the Roswell secret to guarantee world peace.

I wonder if something like this happened at Roswell. Like a bomber or two struck in mid air by lightening, armed nuclear bombs on board, undercarriage problem, or collision in mid air perhaps with a top secret radar focusing metallic covered balloon of some sort etc. Plane(s) belly landed near base no detonations thank god. But what if I ask, if the thing had gone off? Say on the runway or after sliding into a hanger or above a bunker? OK a Plutonium warhead might not manage to develop a critical mass due to unequal "heat generated" detonation of explosive lenses, but a gun type uranium bomb uses a explosive driven slug to do the job. Gun powder in those days i believe but i could be wrong. If i remember right late 1940's explosives had a tendency to get very unhappy when exposed to red hot metal inside burning aircraft. Toss in the winds from a storm and the heat would be higher too. Personally i think within a short number of years the atomic bomb would have been banned worldwide, (Politicians have to listen to the public or they loose their jobs) and about 3000+ Soviet tanks and about 10 million Russian troops backed up by 10000+ aircraft would have conquered Western Europe. China would probably be at war with America, and everybody on the side of GOOD would have been saying Adolph Hitler had been RIGHT! Imagine the political turmoil that in itself would cause. "If we'd backed Hitler and Togo we wouldn't be in this situation" etc. World war two had just ended, the devastated parts of the world was still recovering, the hated of Germany Japan and Italy was still very strong, and suddenly the bad guys have become the new Jesus Christ our dear leaders have caused us to crucify! Unfortunately human beings are very good at picturing scenarios and making decisions upon what they "see", and so if the truth had come out the bomb would have been banned anyway. Therefore it was decided to create the Roswell secret to guarantee world peace.

Do wha?

Everything we do is prone to human error, to be honest, I am surprised we haven't been blown up as of yet by our own nukes considering the fact there will always be human error. Let's be honest, the government is doing a remarkable job of keeping those nukes safe compared to other countries.

Maybe I missed it, but have other countries lost control of their nukes? Israel denies they even possess them, but most everybody knows that's a lie.

Some years back there was an incident where several nuclear weapons were flown around the country on a B-52 without the necessary paperwork and authorizations, so I'm not sure how remarkable our job is? Given that missing weapon in the Georgia/South Carolina area as Sundew mentioned, it seems "remarkable" might be the wrong word...

Maybe I missed it, but have other countries lost control of their nukes? Israel denies they even possess them, but most everybody knows that's a lie.

Some years back there was an incident where several nuclear weapons were flown around the country on a B-52 without the necessary paperwork and authorizations, so I'm not sure how remarkable our job is? Given that missing weapon in the Georgia/South Carolina area as Sundew mentioned, it seems "remarkable" might be the wrong word...

If I remember correctly when the USSR broke up a decent amount of nuclear weapons went unaccounted for along with a rather large amount of enriched uranium and plutonium. Since the break up till now the vast majority of the missing weapons or material has been found but not all of it.

• Like 1

I wonder if something like this happened at Roswell.

Roswell was too low-key to have been anything. There is little use in a feint so subtle no one notices it.

Certainly a scary thought, your OWN nuclear weapons free falling over your homeland...how many other accidents are awaiting to chill us over the past 30 years that have yet to be declassified and released under the freedom of information act :/