Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Captain Kirk turns down trip in to space

UM-Bot

Star Trek actor William Shatner has turned down a trip in to space because he is scared of flying.

During his stint as the captain of the legendary Starship Enterprise, Shatner became a household name synonymous with voyaging through space and journeying in to the unknown - the perfect candidate, it would seem, to climb aboard Virgin Galactic\'s Spaceship Two for a flight to the final frontier.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/254966/captain-kirk-turns-down-trip-in-to-space

It shouldn't be a surprise that Shatner doesn't want to do this, after all he also played T. J. Hooker but no one expects an 82 year old Canadian actor to be driving cars fast and shooting bad guys.

• Like 2

Given his age and fears of being sick this Star Trek might not be the Motion Picture for him. More like re-experiencing the Wrath of Khan-tankerous gremlin sitting on the wing as he made a Search for Spock for assistance on The Voyage Home from The Final Frontier. Yet, by his First Contact with this his Nemesis, he would inspire Future Generations to take the Star Trek Into Darkness, to lead an Insurrection of adventurers into this, The Undiscovered Country.

• Like 3

Wow he's 82 years old. The strain on the body would probably be very hard on him. If they would have asked him 40 years fear of flying or not he might have taken the trip.

Aye, Captain Kirk. Even if I could afford it, which isn't likely, I wouldn't go, either.

I'd not go either. I'm not a space cow farmer.

Captain Kirk:

I understand that one can have a fear of flying. I do as well.

However, you can be prescribed potent anti-anxiety meds for the trip, such as Ativan,(or just drink a half-pint of Vodka :w00t:)

- You are 82 years old. What's the big deal if something goes wrong.

- You were an absolutely fearless(actor) icon for those of us old enough to have enjoyed the original Star Trek series.

- Most importantly, if the standard is still there, at that height of travel you will earn your astronaut wings. That would be such a fitting inclusion to your outstanding Star Trek career; actually going into space.

Edited by pallidin

The Movie "Galaxy Quest" comes to mind :yes: Reality and Movies are different things ......In fairness though , i fly a lot and it scares me ****less so anytime it can be avoided is good with me.

• Like 3

He's probably only afraid of flying in the primitive crap we have now. I wouldn't go up in one of those tin cans with engines if you paid me. Now a smooth riding Star Trek shuttle craft, or starship with inertial dampners, shields, and several back-ups along with a freaking AI computer monitoring everything would be my kind of ride into space. I have no doubt Shatner would take a 23rd century or beyond shuttle craft into space as most probably would.

• Like 3

Can I have his seat? I'll go. I don't like flying, but it is just all the barfing that gets to me and anybody next to me. :blink:

Im with "pallidin" Come On William ! Do it For Man Kind ! I`ll Go with you on this journey ! Its just a Hop Skip& Jump into the ? Well Out there ! :tu:

• Like 1

Im with "pallidin" Come On William ! Do it For Man Kind ! I`ll Go with you on this journey ! Its just a Hop Skip& Jump into the ? Well Out there ! :tu:

Exactly. For his children and grandchildren(I assume), they can proudly say that not only did he star in a ground-breaking fictional series, but also, later on in his life, actually went into space. That would be seriously special, both for him and them, and all his fans.

I wonder if William Shatner accepts personal email. Would love to write to him. as I'm sure the offer is still open.

I wonder if William Shatner accepts personal email. Would love to write to him. as I'm sure the offer is still open.

Why should an 82 year old ACTOR (he isn't actually Captain Kirk you know) do anything he doesn't want to?

You do realise that this is all a publicity stunt for Virgin don't you? They are getting shed loads of free publicity not least because of those people that are too gullible to realise that the ACTOR William Shatner is being used.

The ACTOR Willian Shatner owes nobody anything. He is not an explorer he is an ACTOR. If he doesn't want to go into space then that's his choice. As an ACTOR he should be allowed the same free will the rest of us have and should not have to put up with people emailing him and attempting to persuade him todo something he doesn't want to do.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Why should an 82 year old ACTOR (he isn't actually Captain Kirk you know) do anything he doesn't want to?

You do realise that this is all a publicity stunt for Virgin don't you? They are getting shed loads of free publicity not least because of those people that are too gullible to realise that the ACTOR William Shatner is being used.

The ACTOR Willian Shatner owes nobody anything. He is not an explorer he is an ACTOR. If he doesn't want to go into space then that's his choice. As an ACTOR he should be allowed the same free will the rest of us have and should not have to put up with people emailing him and attempting to persuade him todo something he doesn't want to do.

My emphasis is how great it would be for him to do that. Of course it's his choice, and always will be.

Edited by pallidin

Come On ! Shattner could do it ! ITs Not like its a full On Launch take off go up to alt,drop ,light the rubber motor and your just a few G-eez away from the View of space ! Not Like your really in Orbit ! My Grand mother would of done it in a Heart Beat ! :whistle:

I know Some people are just not wired to Fly on a wing& a Prayer ! I would do it Today !

• 2 weeks later...

This 'rocket' is a nitrous bomb and will kill again,I wouldn't get in that thing even if you paid me $200,000.Branson's ego is much larger than his brain and it's going to be disastrous to the fledgling private space tourism industry.Nitrous Oxide IS an explosive and killed my friend Glenn May July 21,2007,Mojave CA. As an engineer I speak from fact not emotion.

The Shatman has boldly gone more than any of us have. He's in his 80's! Cut him some slack. He may have health problems that make going into space a no go zone for him.

Best captain the USS Enterprise ever had!