Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Anacondas & Other Super-Sized Snakes

Still Waters

During the 1920s, Raymond L. Ditmars, Curator of Reptiles at New York's Bronx Zoo, offered US $1000 to anyone who could provide conclusive evidence for the existence of a snake measuring over 40 ft (12.2 m) long. The prize has never been claimed. Yet there are many extraordinary eyewitness accounts on record asserting that gargantuan serpents far greater in length than anything ever confirmed by science are indeed a frightening reality in various regions of the world, as demonstrated by the fascinating selection of examples documented here.

http://karlshuker.bl...uper-sized.html

• Like 1

Loving snakes the way I do, these stories hold great interest for me. Most are probably exaggerations. A 15ft long snake in the water rearing up in defense can look giant to the untrained eye. The story and photo of the helicopter pilot in the Katanga Region is probably the best evidence that is offered as to the existence of truly giant snakes. Hoax? Could be, but it has been around long enough now, and studied enough that in my opinion it is possibly real. We know snakes exist, we know that some species get huge, and we also know that these huge species inhabit some of the most dense, uninhabitable places on the planet. So, I guess it could be possible. Although, If a truly giant snake is out there, I believe it will be a new species. 30 plus ft reticulated pythons have been recorded, 25 plus ft anacondas have been recorded, but if we are talking about a true giant then yes, I believe it will be a new species.

Mike

I agree, Mike.

While I can certainly believe that there have existed bigger examples of snakes than we officially have records of (especially considering thousands of years before man had really impacted their territories so that once they reached adulthood, the big snake breeds probably had no real predators), I don't believe that these specimens would be crazy big compared to the biggest we have recorded. In other words, I can see a Reticulated Python that was 45-50 feet long having existed, but not 100.

To be so out of line with the size of other adult specimens, I think it would have to a similar but completely different species.

I Believe we will eventually find a giant snake measuring over 40 ft. But I believe it will be a huge Reticulated Python. Not a type of Sub species that we do not yet know about.

I agree, Mike.

While I can certainly believe that there have existed bigger examples of snakes than we officially have records of (especially considering thousands of years before man had really impacted their territories so that once they reached adulthood, the big snake breeds probably had no real predators), I don't believe that these specimens would be crazy big compared to the biggest we have recorded. In other words, I can see a Reticulated Python that was 45-50 feet long having existed, but not 100.

To be so out of line with the size of other adult specimens, I think it would have to a similar but completely different species.

I agree. I think that giant snakes have likely and do exist. But there like 40 foot etc not 100ft.

And there likely a new species of snake.

An African man told me years ago he had seen 40 foot anacondas. And a lot of scientists think the giant anaconda is a likely cryptid.

I think 40 foot snakes exist.

Cant snakes grow indifenitly If nothing harms them and they eat right??

well if the habitat stays untouched for thousands of years or millions and their prey is around then yes I guess than still grow to that length.

Reptiles can grow their entire lives. Now, this isn't to say that they grow at the same rate all their lives. As they age the growth rate slows way down. This is also dependent on a readily available food supply. The quality of this food supply. Their location and therefore their growing season, meaning climates that stay warmer for longer periods of time have a longer growing season. Snakes, being reptiles, are cold blooded. They don't control their own body temperature internally. They depend on the environment to do that for them. For your average reticulated python to grow to 50ft it would take perfect genetics, a year long growing season, no interference from man, untouched habitat, and a readily available high protein food source. Same with an anaconda. Could this happen? I believe it could if everything balanced just right. Of course it would be a one in a million shot. Snakes of the same species are just like any other animal. Due to many deciding factors some grow bigger than other in their same species. Some are healthier, etc.. Not every reticulated python, or anaconda is capable of growing to 25 or 30 ft.

Mike