Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Empathy Toward Robots Could Impact Battlezone

Still Waters

The more robots become embedded in human society as toys and workers, the more people treat them like pets, friends or even as an extension of themselves. For soldiers who rely more and more on battlefield robots, researchers wondered: If a soldier attaches human or animal-like characteristics to these machines, could they care too much about the robot to send it onto a dangerous battlefield?

The answer to that question could help inform future robot design and human-robot training.

http://news.discover...ones-130920.htm

• Like 1

For some it could be an issue. I've know men who treated their cars and motorcycles better than their family members. And they talk to them too. I wonder if they answer back.

I agree with emberdawn. Tell somebody their car sucks and watch the reaction. Also, look how angry and hurt people become when their car is damaged in an accident, even a little fender-bender. I think we develope empathy with all of our inanimate objects.

• 10 months later...

Yea we sure project a lot.

Equal parts helpful and not.

That people will love their robots and project personalities into them is no more surprising to me than them doing the same to animals. Whether it will keep soldiers from sending them out on missions is a non-issue. To a soldier, the mission is first; they long accepted that they would be put in danger's way, and similarly accepted that their animals or robots would be put in danger's way before them. They won't like it, but they will do it.

I honestly only care about my car as a means of transportation. If it gets dented I'm only POed because I have a 500 dollar deductible and the aggravation of getting it fixed.

Hurt my dog and it's a very different scenario (God help you is all I can say).

For some it could be an issue. I've know men who treated their cars and motorcycles better than their family members. And they talk to them too. I wonder if they answer back.

I'm pretty sure they talk to their machines because they won't answer back.

Yes, I know it's an old post but I just couldn't resist. :P

• Like 1