Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More people wake up on the operating table

Still Waters

When a patient goes under the knife, the scenario they dread the most is waking up during the operation.

The problem is called 'accidental awareness' and a review by a leading expert has revealed it is a more frequent occurrence than first thought.

http://www.dailymail...feel-thing.html

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• willowdreams

• Ashotep

• seaturtlehorsesnake

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I've never had this problem when I've had surgery. I would hate to be aware of what is going on.

It would be fun to freak the doctor out by asking why he said something.

i've often wondered if something like this happened to me. it was during a gall bladder removal operation. (fun times). I remembered being sort of half awake, and seeing the doctor poke at something on my stomach that looked for all the world like a small patch of strawberry jelly. i didn't feel any pain or unpleasantness, and the next thing i remember was waking up after everything was done, when i was supposed to. now, it might have been a dream too, i know. that's probably much more likely. but it felt vivid and real at the time.

Last time I had surgery and the anesthesiologist came in to talk to me, i specifically told him i am concerned about waking in the middle of surgery and that most meds react diff to me then they do others.. for instance.. pain killers? rarely work with me, or make me ill.. however, sleeping meds WAKE me up or make me soo antsy my mind wont shut down enough to rest deeply.

He apreciated my questions and comments, and then thanked me for the info on meds not putting me to sleep. SO they gave me two iv's, one in an artery.. and as i said, the first med they gave me that they said would knock me out within a min of injecting into my iv.. well 5 min later i was still chatting..

took three shots of something, before i knocked out! They admitted later that they rarely had that kind of problem, even with high anxiety patients!

And he admitted he monitored me very closely so i would NOT wake up in middle of surgery!

Seems the monitor the brain activity so they would know if i was becoming alert but not awake.

Things like that terrify me beyond belief.. way way scary!